Is a Jacket needed for semi-formal night for men?

Rascal1

Hi, I've cruised Princess a few times and am thinking about trying a different cruise line. The only thing that concerns me with P&O is the dress code of smart/casual, semi formal and formal which I understand is for all ships apart from 2. DH will dress up for formal night but the rest of the time likes to be what I consider smart/casual e.g. in smart trousers and shirt but with no jacket. Reading the brochure and surfing the website, semi-formal is described as a a jacket for men. Do most men wear jackets on semi-formal nights or could he wear just a shirt (and trousers:D) without getting disapproving looks or being turned away. Thanks

Hi, I've cruised Princess a few times and am thinking about trying a different cruise line. The only thing that concerns me with P&O is the dress code of smart/casual, semi formal and formal which I understand is for all ships apart from 2. DH will dress up for formal night but the rest of the time likes to be what I consider smart/casual e.g. in smart trousers and shirt but with no jacket. Reading the brochure and surfing the website, semi-formal is described as a a jacket for men. Do most men wear jackets on semi-formal nights or could he wear just a shirt (and trousers:D) without getting disapproving looks or being turned away. Thanks

It says quite clearly a jacket for men, and yes most men where at least a jacket, quite a few will wear a suit and tie on semi formal to compliment their wifes cocktail dress etc, others will wear the tie as well.

ALL ships request formal wear on formal nights.

Hi

Will our 15 year old son have to wear a jacket on semi formal nights on Oriana? he will have DJ for formal nights lot of luggage to take if so

Under 18s don't have to adher to the full dress code if they don't want & can wear smart casual (or whatever it is now called) on any night - so no, a jacket would not be required for your 15 yr old son

From P&O FAQs (https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code)

Children: The dress code is applicable to all passengers of 18 years and over and we request that on Balck tie or Smart evenings children wear, as a minimum, Smart Casual dress, however on these occasions dark denim is not permitted.

We were on Azura in March and saw men being turned away from the main restaurant if they didn't have a jacket - they were asked very politely to go and put a jacket on.

My husband took a lightweight linen jacket for the semi-formal evenings. Men do not have to wear a tie that evening although some choose to do so.

On formal evenings by far the majority of the men will be wearing a dinner jacket but a few wear a dark suit which is fine.

Have a great time.:)

Sadly, P&O have yet to join the 21st century and still maintain the outdated semi-formal dress code on some of their ships. As far as I am aware, only P&O, Cunard and Fred Olsen still do this; even Holland America, long seen as a bastion of tradition, have now ditched semi-formal.

Thank you all still a little confused but think our son should be fine without formal jacket for semi formal really hope you all have a great next cruise and thank you for your answers

Catherine

And long may it remain so! There are plenty of more casual lines if you dont like it and yes - they go to the same places, so you don't even have to "suffer" for the itinery!

I agree, we are looking forward to this part of the cruise as long as I have enough clothes to wear! :D

It's no secret that P & O have these formal nights so no-one should be caught out.

I hope that ladies are not expected to wear cocktail dresses on semi-formal nights because I don't possess one! I have bought dressy stuff for the formal evenings and have some rather nice smart casual clothes that I hope will be okay for the semi-formal evenings.

Maybe I should have started a separate thread for this question, but hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me and put my mind at rest.

I hope that ladies are not expected to wear cocktail dresses on semi-formal nights because I don't possess one! I have bought dressy stuff for the formal evenings and have some rather nice smart casual clothes that I hope will be okay for the semi-formal evenings.

Maybe I should have started a separate thread for this question, but hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me and put my mind at rest.

Ladies seem to get away with almost anything but here is the P&O guide.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code?keepNLPQuery=true&oldid=KQ0HV6JBJ73EEI5C01O9D42I1M

P&O have renamed formal, semi formal and smart casual to black tie, smart jacket required and evening casual but everything remains the same as far as I can see.

Brian

Ladies seem to get away with almost anything but here is the P&O guide.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code?keepNLPQuery=true&oldid=KQ0HV6JBJ73EEI5C01O9D42I1M

P&O have renamed formal, semi formal and smart casual to black tie, smart jacket required and evening casual but everything remains the same as far as I can see.

Brian

The question is, is a linen jacket a smart jacket?

It should be, given the price

Follow the link that BrianI has posted and read what it says, then as long as you stick to the guidelines you'll be fine. Our first cruises were on Celebrity and Princess and they only have formal and smart casual so it was a bit of a shock when we first cruised P&O. I'll be honest - I felt under-dressed with my interpretation of semi-formal so I now wear dresses on these evenings. Not sure I'd call them cocktail dresses, but more than just a day dress.. if that makes sense!?

Even evening casual evenings are smarter than the evening casual style I'd wear at home. I do think P&O is dressier than most lines but we go with the flow and really enjoy evenings on board - e.g. entertainment is usually very good with good choice of bars and good company in the dining room, as well as getting dressed up!

The question is, is a linen jacket a smart jacket?

It should be, given the price

The concept of smartness is a very subjective one. For some people smart means being in a good state of repair and cleanliness. For others, smart is another word for conventional. As far as I am concerned a linen jacket, provided that it satisfies the former criteria, qualifies as smart.

Follow the link that BrianI has posted and read what it says, then as long as you stick to the guidelines you'll be fine. Our first cruises were on Celebrity and Princess and they only have formal and smart casual so it was a bit of a shock when we first cruised P&O. I'll be honest - I felt under-dressed with my interpretation of semi-formal so I now wear dresses on these evenings. Not sure I'd call them cocktail dresses, but more than just a day dress.. if that makes sense!?

Even evening casual evenings are smarter than the evening casual style I'd wear at home. I do think P&O is dressier than most lines but we go with the flow and really enjoy evenings on board - e.g. entertainment is usually very good with good choice of bars and good company in the dining room, as well as getting dressed up!

Thanks, but now I am really in a panic! I don't normally wear dresses at all but have bought one nice black dress for formal evenings together with another outfit of black evening trousers and sparkly top with jacket. I will take a couple of pairs of smart trousers and nice tops for semi-formal evenings and hope for the best, but I do wonder whether I shall also feel under-dressed. We don't normally do dressing up at all. :eek:

Thanks, but now I am really in a panic! I don't normally wear dresses at all but have bought one nice black dress for formal evenings together with another outfit of black evening trousers and sparkly top with jacket. I will take a couple of pairs of smart trousers and nice tops for semi-formal evenings and hope for the best, but I do wonder whether I shall also feel under-dressed. We don't normally do dressing up at all. :eek:

That's the sort of things I'm taking too - I've never done this before either but I'm sure we'll be fine.

I am also very aware of the luggage weight limit as I'm flying back from Barbados - I think it's a matter of mix and match!

No problem at all. Sounds exactly what my wife would wear.

You will be fine.

Have a great time.

Gan canny

Dai

Archived