Butchart Gardens vs. Downtown Victoria

Hello All,

We'll be cruising Alaska in August with a stop in Victoria. We have limited time in port. I'm trying to decide if we should spend our time on a day trip/tour to Butchart Gardens, or simply explore downtown Victoria. It looks like our itinerary (9 a.m. - 6 p.m. in port) will not allow us time to comfortably do both. Which should we choose? We enjoy gardens and have visited beautiful ones in London and Paris. However, we're not garden nuts. Still we'd hate to miss something that's truly spectacular. On the other hand, we like to shop, eat and admire architecture, so downtown Victoria also has its advantages. Any advice on which option to choose?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Aroxen

Well first, with your time in Victoria you should have time to visit the gardens and see downtown Victoria as well. The Butchart Gardens are world acclaimed gardens and well worth a visit...I would allow about 4 to 5 hrs to go out to the gardens and see them which would allow you several hours to tour downtown Victoria. Victoria only has a population of some 350k so the downtown is very compact and very walkable.

I like the museum as well, however sometimes their exhibits are better than others. For a visitor though, you will really learn a lot about British Columbia in a short period of time; time well invested.

``you will really learn a lot about British Columbia in a short period of time; time well invested. `

You and I and some others have been doing that for sometime and we don`t charge an admission fee.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Butchart Gardens are a 45 minute drive from the cruise ship terminal. CVS Victoria offers tours out there; however, if you are only in Victoria for a few hours I strongly suggest you take the ship's tour to ensure you don't miss the ship departing. Yes you can take a taxi out there but it would cost around $50.00 one way.

How far is Butchart Gardens from the curise ship port? Do I need a taxi to get there?

Here's a map showing the cruise port, and major tourist attractions:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&msa=0&ll=48.438198,-123.369427&spn=0.08735,0.222988

it's about 20km from downtown/cruise port to Butchart. Your options for getting there are City bus (#31/#75), and organized tours (either from the ship, or coaches that leave from in front of the Empress Hotel)

The museum is only open until 10 pm on Friday and Saturday evenings during what is essentially the cruise season otherwise it closes at 5 pm. To my knowledge there are no reduced rates in the evening hours.

As pointed out in a previous post, if only in Victoria for a few hours in the late afternoon and evening I would be guarded about using the transit system, the schedule becomes a bit sporadic in the evening hours and if not careful you run the risk of missing your ship. With late day visits you are best to stick with a ship sponsored tour.

I have just noticed from one of you other posts you are in Victoria for a full day so transit would work.

Butchart Gardens are a 45 minute drive from the cruise ship terminal. CVS Victoria offers tours out there; however, if you are only in Victoria for a few hours I strongly suggest you take the ship's tour to ensure you don't miss the ship departing. Yes you can take a taxi out there but it would cost around $50.00 one way.

Fortunately, my ship will be docked in Victoria for 16 hours, so that will not be a problem. Paying for a taxi will be, of course, so I will look for a way to get there without paying $100 for 90 minutes in a car.

Fortunately, my ship will be docked in Victoria for 16 hours, so that will not be a problem. Paying for a taxi will be, of course, so I will look for a way to get there without paying $100 for 90 minutes in a car.

From the road in front of the cruise terminal grab a #31 bus (don't even cross the street); take it to Royal Oak, then change to a #75 bus either downtown or at the Royal Oak exchange; which will take you to Butchart Gardens. Total cost $2.50, just tell the driver where you're going and that you need a transfer when you get on.

Renting a car is an option.

• 5 months later...

Hi Scottbee,

Not sure if you will see this post - but I wanted to comment on the fabulous Goggle map of Victoria. Did you create this?

I created some goggle personalized maps for a trip to Scotland and no how much work (and fun) go into putting them together.

Great job.

Cynthia

Hi Scottbee,

Not sure if you will see this post - but I wanted to comment on the fabulous Goggle map of Victoria. Did you create this?

I created some goggle personalized maps for a trip to Scotland and no how much work (and fun) go into putting them together.

Great job.

Cynthia

yep, it's mine. I realized I was answering the same questions over and over

Archived