Just back from the Gem

Just back from sailing on the Gem to Bermuda.

Lots of new things happening on NCL.

One, being the new menu's in the MDR's.

They are doing a great job! Food was delicious. Latin steak and Thai coconut shrimp along with ginger custard for dessert! yum! My favorites.

Love that they also have a "Chef's Speciality" each evening.

Some really nice touches were incorporated onboard.

Love the Aquafina bottles that are carried by the bar staff for spritzing sunbathers. Also, platters of cheese served as you wait for a available table in dining room.

Coming back onboard the Gem the last day in Bermuda we were greeted by the officers and handed a cup of lime ice. It was refreshing, delicious and a great idea. We were also given very cold washcloths for us to use.

Lots of little touches that make a big difference!

Wonderful staff onboard. Friendly and accommodating.

Nice smooth sail to and from Bermuda!!

Sounds like a great cruise !

We've sailed NCL 3 x and will be on the Gem in october.

We sailed HAL/Veendam last year and when you go back to their ship after a day in Bermuda they have ice coolers with someone standing there with tongues getting you an ice cold wash cloth. Super refreshing.

I like the lime ice idea.

Would love to see the new menu's for MDR.

Sorry, I was having such a great time onboard I didn't stop to take many photos or copy menus.

Tips...

1. Go to your meet and greet!! Don't miss it! Captain and Officers will be there. They are really polishing up their meets onboard.

2. When in the dining room always ask what the "Chefs Special" of the night is.

3. Lobster night is first night! Don't miss it. Make a reservation if you have a large party as the dining rooms do fill up that night.

4. Enjoy!!

That is terrific to hear that the mdr's are very good. We were on the dawn 3 years ago and did not care for the food in the mdr and went to the specialty restaurants a lot. Did you go to any specialty restaurants? If so how were they?

What did you do in bermuda? Which beaches do you recommend?

Thanks again

We went to Le Bistro, La Cucina and Cagneys. They were all delicious.

We only went to Snorkel Park at the port. It is close to the ship and can get crowded. They are now charging a fee to get in, even if you only want to sit and drink at the bar. No Pina Coladas anymore. They used to have good ones years ago.

Thanks for posting. New menus! Can't wait to find out more. Glad to hear you enjoyed the M&G. I think they are really worthwhile on NCL. You felt as though they were giving it even more attention this time? Good to know.

Thanks for posting. New menus! Can't wait to find out more. Glad to hear you enjoyed the M&G. I think they are really worthwhile on NCL. You felt as though they were giving it even more attention this time? Good to know.

I definitely felt as though NCL gave us more attention than usual. They are a wonderful group of officers and crew onboard the Gem. Never without a smile and always looking to please.

If I could fit in another cruise this year, I would pick the Gem again!!

Lobster night was on embarkation day.

Same thing on Dawn (to Bermuda). We were very surprised.

I wonder if it's going to be the new normal across the fleet? I can see a lot of people missing it that were used to the first "dress up or not night" being lobster night and just going to the buffet the first night. I know on the Gem in November it was the day after "dress up or not night" which was unusual.

I definitely felt as though NCL gave us more attention than usual. They are a wonderful group of officers and crew onboard the Gem. Never without a smile and always looking to please.

If I could fit in another cruise this year, I would pick the Gem again!!

Lobster night was on embarkation day.

Who was the Hotel Director, Cruise Director, and Concierge on your sailing?

I wonder if we were on the same " Dawn " cruise. We tried the MDR twice and both nights were horrible. We paid for specialty the rest of the week. We found them excellent.

Our first time trying the Gem will be this october. We are expecting it to be great !

That is terrific to hear that the mdr's are very good. We were on the dawn 3 years ago and did not care for the food in the mdr and went to the specialty restaurants a lot. Did you go to any specialty restaurants? If so how were they?

What did you do in bermuda? Which beaches do you recommend?

Thanks again

I hope these changes are on the Jewel too. DH and I sail her Oct 29th of this

year. Big time Dawn fans when she sailed from NY. Never had a problem with the

MDR or food anywhere on the ship. Haven't been on NCL in 2 plus years. Will be

nice to see what the changes are.

I saw the 2011 Gem menus today on beyondships website.

I was just going to ask if the "new" menus are the ones listed on beyondships.com? I don't see anything listed about the "Chefs Specialty's" can you share some of the "special" things that were offered?

I was just going to ask if the "new" menus are the ones listed on beyondships.com? I don't see anything listed about the "Chefs Specialty's" can you share some of the "special" things that were offered?

Those menus on that site have been there for a couple of months. I am wondering the same thing. The family that we are traveling with was on the epic last year and I had them look at beyondships menu and they said that that was the same menu on the epic last year so I am assuming those were the old ones. We shall see!!!

Those menus on that site have been there for a couple of months. I am wondering the same thing. The family that we are traveling with was on the epic last year and I had them look at beyondships menu and they said that that was the same menu on the epic last year so I am assuming those were the old ones. We shall see!!!

I was wondering the same thing.

Less than 2 week and we will be on the Gem. Are you joining us for the Meet and Greet? I hope you can make it.

Archived