Found: WALLET, Monarch, Stateroom #9010

Good luck.....as we were checking our cabin before disembarkation on Voyager a couple of years ago, we found some jewelry in a paper bag behind the TV. It was not terribly expensive and it was purchased onboard. The receipt with the date of purchase and owner's last name was in the bag.

I tried multiple times to get it back to its owner, including posting info here and on the rollcall for the cruise the owner was on. Despite having specific information, I was still not able to find the owner and RC was not helpful.....RC would not give me an address or any info on where to send the jewelry, nor would they send it. I tried everything I could think of including paying for a look-up on Google! Still no luck.....I was bummed!

I'm sure the owner still wonders where that jewelry went.....

Im not surprised they couldnt give you their address, I expect that has to be confidential. But would they have passed your name and number on for them to call you? just a thought.

Well, why do you think the cruise line will not try to contact someone to return a wallet that has a name in it?

Yeah, I know.... *****?

But I think that may actually be the reason the cruise line doesn't want to get involved.

I'm not talking about the kid's wallet.

I work for a hotel. Prior to my working there, someone contacted the guest that had just checked out of the room to tell him his wife left her watch and nightgown in the room and would he like the hotel to send it to him. Well, they intended to contact the husband, but ended up speaking with his wife, who assured them that she had not left the items in the room -- she then went on to state that she was not with him in the hotel. Cut to a year later, and the hotel was being subpoena'd to testify at the divorce hearing.

So, folks, that is why hotels, cruise lines, whatever, do not contact you when you leave something behind.

And that's exactly what I was talking about.

I flew home from Florida one time and when I got home there was a message waiting for me from some guy in out in Las Vegas. I called him back and he had my wallet that I left on the plane. I did not even realize it was missing yet.

I arranged to have him drop it off at the front desk of his hotel and had it sent fed ex back to me. I asked the guy to leave his contact info with the wallet and I mailed him a nice gift certificate for dinner near his home.

He saved me a lot of trouble and it was very nice to have an honest person looking out for me that day.

My DW and I were walking on the concourse in Orlando Airport after a trip to Disney. My wife saw a paper bag on the floor and discovered over 3K in small bills. Her honesty took over and turned the money over to the lost and found of the airport.

6 months later she received a call from the airport saying that since no one claimed the money a check was being sent for the full amount that she found...

My DW and I were walking on the concourse in Orlando Airport after a trip to Disney. My wife saw a paper bag on the floor and discovered over 3K in small bills. Her honesty took over and turned the money over to the lost and found of the airport.

6 months later she received a call from the airport saying that since no one claimed the money a check was being sent for the full amount that she found...

Kharma at work! Some years ago, I placed a young cat with a co-worker's sister. Seems the cat's favorite place to nap was behind a large armoire that had been left with the house (I think it was an estate sale) when they bought it. Well, one day Sassy came out from her napping spot with something stuck to her tail. It was an old envelope containing $1,000 in cash. Sassy got a real good dinner that night.

I agree about the refreshing nature of a kind honest stranger. Last year just before Christmas, I left my brand new cell phone on the back of my car. I had just hung up from a phone call when my neighbor called me across the street to help her take something out of her car (a gift she was hiding at my house.) I forgot all about the phone. I got in my car to go somewhere a couple of hours later. Apparently, the phone slid off of the car going around a curve. Someone behind me saw it fly off and picked it up. They looked through my contacts, called my mother and told her they had my phone. My father called to ask if I had my cell phone. I thought I did. My mother called me on the cell, and of course, it didn't ring at my house. LOL So, this kind lady gave my mother her phone number and I was able to catch up with her and get my phone back. I did, of course, reward her. She was a young lady with an infant who appeared a little down on her luck. I would have given her just about anything to get that phone back and not have to file a police report and get a new phone.

Thanks for your honesty and glad that you are contacting the cruiseline as well. Cruise Critic is only a very small percentage of cruisers and the owner may very well not be a member. Gee, who knows how long the wallet was there under the life jackets? I hope you can reunite the owner with their wallet and cash. Odd that nothing was in it but the $...

Not so odd, my 13 yo grandson only carries cash in his wallet. And if he left it on the ship, chances are we wouldn't realize it and he may not remember when he last had it. He uses a wallet that looks just like my husbands.

he opened the wallet he began to scream at me that there was over $300 in it and that I stole his money.

Exactly why when I found a wallet in a trash can (open barrel type so in plain sight) at a park I deposited it in a nearby mailbox. No money in it but it had enough ID to find way to its owner and I definitely did not want to risk being accused of being the reason there was no money in it.

For the kid's wallet that was found... I may not be the sharpest database analyst but I know for sure it would not take more than a couple minutes to make a SQL query for all occupants of that cabin under age 18 in the last X months (or years). Most likely would not be a long list of results. If RCI would bother to have their IT people do so and then follow up on it. With a kid's item involved they might have less fear of privacy issues.

Kharma at work! Some years ago, I placed a young cat with a co-worker's sister. Seems the cat's favorite place to nap was behind a large armoire that had been left with the house (I think it was an estate sale) when they bought it. Well, one day Sassy came out from her napping spot with something stuck to her tail. It was an old envelope containing $1,000 in cash. Sassy got a real good dinner that night.

I LIKE! (where's that like button!)

Exactly why when I found a wallet in a trash can (open barrel type so in plain sight) at a park I deposited it in a nearby mailbox. No money in it but it had enough ID to find way to its owner and I definitely did not want to risk being accused of being the reason there was no money in it.

For the kid's wallet that was found... I may not be the sharpest database analyst but I know for sure it would not take more than a couple minutes to make a SQL query for all occupants of that cabin under age 18 in the last X months (or years). Most likely would not be a long list of results. If RCI would bother to have their IT people do so and then follow up on it. With a kid's item involved they might have less fear of privacy issues.

I'm with you on this - it just doesn't seem like it would be that hard . . .

It is real nice to know that honesty is still around and I applaud the OP; I almost could have used that kind of honesty, I won $5000 in the slots and we were just about to go through the scanner to exit the ship at the end of our cruise when my wife asked 'did you take the envelope out of the safe?'...I must have turned white and ran back to our cabin. I would have wanted to die if it was gone.

Im not surprised they couldnt give you their address, I expect that has to be confidential. But would they have passed your name and number on for them to call you? just a thought.

Yes, someone earlier in this thread suggested the same thing. I responded in post #49. :)

1) Found in the closet, underneath the life jackets

2) Planned on turning it in to Guest Services at same time we had the sea pass account corrected (used the D+ $2/minute ship-to-shore telephone discount coupon but were charged full amount).

3) After 1 hour 15 minute wait in line and struggling with Guest Services (no one there who could correct the error), forgot to turn in the wallet (found in my purse on the drive home).

Please describe the wallet, and we'll send it to you. Just off the ship this morning, will contact RCI as well.

You had to wait 1 hour and 15 minutes in line at Guests Services. :eek:

It is very nice of you to be trying to find the owner of the wallet.

... I may not be the sharpest database analyst but I know for sure it would not take more than a couple minutes to make a SQL query for all occupants of that cabin under age 18 in the last X months (or years). Most likely would not be a long list of results. If RCI would bother to have their IT people do so and then follow up on it. With a kid's item involved they might have less fear of privacy issues.

You are quite naive.

Although just about 9 out of 10 high school students could do that in about a New York minute, expecting an I.T. person in a multi billion dollar organization to be able to do so is beyond the realm of possibilities.:eek::rolleyes:

Sad to report that Royal Caribbean Lost & Found have not contacted me within the 5 days they state they will . . . :(

It took them six months to return my wheelchair. I had put it out to be pick-up on disembarkation (I use a scooter too). They could not find it (even with the serial number). Six months later after police report (in Port of Miami and my insurance claim I got a call they found it). I would have to pay to ship it back to me but they admit that someone used it to get off the ship and the staff thought it was one of theirs. I told them to give it to the nearest Veteran's Hospital (I'm a Canadian Vet). My insurance was informed and they told me that since it was past 60 days after my claim I did not have to repay them as long as it went to a hospital or hospit place.

Expect a long wait before contact if any.

Archived