Is helicopter tour too tough for 3yrs old?

rabbit2011

We are planning for a helicopter tour at Juneau. But we have a 3rd old one. Will the tour be too tough?

Do you think it is a good idea to put him in the youth program of cruise line and go for the helicopter tours with adults only?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter went in a helicopter at 17 months- no problems she fell straight asleep.

She then went in one again at 2.5 and hated it, she was terrified the whole time, sobbing and clinging to me. Didn't make for a very enjoyable experience, although she has no memory of it so at least it didn't do any lasting damage!

Will the helicopter company even take a 3 year old? And do they have booster seats, so the seat belts fit properly?

A three year old is too young for a booster seat, if I'm not mistaken you secure the car seat in the helicopter as you would in an airplane (i.e. without the top tether).

If you're strongly considering this option, I would try a short flight at home before booking an excursion. That way it's not new and the child knows what to expect. Plus you'd have a general idea if your car seat is compatible with the helicopter, although I have no idea if helicopter passenger seats are as standardized as airplane seats are.

We are booked on a helicopter tour in Skagway with our 4.5-year-old and 16-month-old. We will be flying Temsco, but the other company I called in Juneau (the name escapes me at the moment) was also willing to book both children.

If you are only planning on doing the helicopter ride, I think I would seriously consider the kids club for your 3-y.o. Mainly because it is so expensive, and a child that young probably won't appreciate or remember it. I am a little nervous how my 4-y.o. is going to do, but it's only a 15-minute ride. And I think he's going to love the dog sledding camp we're flying to, so hopefully it will be worth it. (The 16-month-old is too young for the kids club and is free anyway, so we figured why not?)

We are planning on bringing noise-canceling headphones for both children just in case they need them.

Good luck, and have a good time whatever you decide.

Oh my gosh...this just hit close to home.

My daughter is 3 1/2 and every time she will see a plane in the sky she gets so excited!

So, our state fair is here now and this past thursday we took her (and they always have helicopter rides there) and she cried until she could get on it. Every time it would take off with someone else, she wanted it to be her turn! LOL

We got up there and the excitement from her was FABULOUS! She didn't want to stop.

She has done nothing but talked about the opter-copter since!

Only you know your child. If they like airplanes and such...I say go for it!

Our little one is adventurous. This upcoming cruise she will be zip lining with us and also cave tubing! :D

Archived