Favorite Souvenir from your Med Cruise

azlove2cruise

I'll go first. I bought a beautiful ring in Santorini, Greece on my first Med cruise in Nov 2009. It is the greek key design. Riding the donkeys up/down the cliff was so much fun and the ring is a reminder of that special day. I wear it often.

We've spent 2+ weeks in Rome each April since then and I bought a ring each trip. I wear them daily.

The one thing I wish I bought more of is olive oil soap from Greece (Mykonos and Rhodes.). It is so moisturizing. I brought back a bunch for myself and as stocking stuffers since it was right before Christmas.

My necklaces with Venice glass pendant. I bought them in stores in Venice -- not the cheap kind from street vendors. They are still in my drawer. I wore them from time to time and always received admiration.

A replica of a vase found in Ancient Corinth (outside of Athens).

The potter who made the vase has a shop there.

I have pics of him with my vase.

I had the vase shipped home.

The original vase is in a museum in Athens.

One bought and one free:

Bought: A ceramic wine stopper and matching olive oil dish in Sorrento. Bright yellow with a brightly painted design on it.

Free: Sand from the beach in Barcelona and a few shells with it. The sand has flecks of black and others of gold and is very distinctive. Wanted clean sand so scooped up wet sand in a zip lock bag and left the bag open on the ship after we sailed. Was all dried out by the time I flew home. I have a collection of sand and shells from various beaches I've been to.:)

I purchased inexpensive ceramic tiles at every stop on all of our Med cruises. Then I mounted them all on a wooden serving tray that I have on display and use often.. It's fun to find just the right tiles (I like kinda tacky ones :D) and people never fail to comment about them. Have started a second collection already, and will mount above my outdoor fireplace.

Robin

I cannot pick one favorite; but perhaps I can narrow it down to a few:

Istanbul: antique Iznik tile; also a kelim purse

Mykonos: Byzantine gold cross pendant w/semiprecious stones

Jordan/Syria: Bedouin jewelry (not expensive but unique)

Rome: hand-colored antique prints of ancient Rome sites

Jerusalem: ancient Roman coin pendant

I also collect magnets from any interesting place I visit. I have a large metal filing cabinet at home where I keep all my trip notes, maps, etc. It's covered with the magnets.

On our Med Honeymoon cruise we stopped in Venice for 2 days and on the second day my wife and I took a Vap to the Island of Murano and watched a glass blower perform. He made us 2 little statues(1 horse and 1 2 people embracing). Very nice people, they gave us the statues free, never asked us for money, but there was a tip jar there and we threw in a

$20 tip. Then they gave us a tour of the factory(Amazing). We still have those 2 pieces from 1998 and will cherish them forever!

I am like Cruisemom - can't narrow down to just 1 !

Gold coin pendant from Ponte Vecchio - it is on a bezel that flips so you can see both sides. Has olive branch on one side and St. John (patron saint of Florence) on the other

Gold coin pendant from Santorini - Athena on one side and decorative on the other. Smaller than above but prettier

Prints and paintings - I collect them wherever I go. I like to find originals by the artist. I have one large painting that I bought from a young girl who was painting the Ponte Vecchio while sitting on the wall along the Arno river in Florence. Cost 10 euros - brought it home and framed it and it is gorgeous. It is in my stairwell along with all the other Mediterranean prints and paintings. (My guest bedroom is the Caribbean and tropical locales)

There is alot more as I am a shopper !!!! But these are my favorites.

Favorite is actually our super expensive cruise photo frame book with the Epic ship on the inside cover and two large 8*10 photos of us (and we always made fun of the people who paid so much for these photos). And here we are! lol

The photo frame book is actually displayed on our dining room table :)

My second favorite is my statue of David.

Just returned from a week in Tuscany followed by a 12-day Med & Greek Isles cruise.

Jewelry is usually my favorite souvenir. Easy to pack, too!

Here is a partial list of what we purchased on this recent trip. Some of the items actually made it home to give to others! Wine, cheese and olives were consumed on the balcony during sail away. :)

Tuscany - olive oil, wine, pecorino cheese, water color print of Montepulciano

Venice - "real" Murano glass dish, wine stoppers and necklaces

Dubrovnik - Christmas ornament and magnet

Corfu - olive oil soap

Katakolon/Olympia - Silver necklace/earrings with the Greek symbol of Life

Athens - too busy to shop!

Mykonos - Christmas ornament with details of the windmills

Ephesus - Ceramics

Rhodes - Greek Key necklace, earrings and bracelet. Embroidererd table runner

Santorini - Coral earrings, silver cross

Amalfi Coast - Ceramic/wood Salad Tongs from Ravello

I wish I had purchased MORE of the beautiful and inexpensive Ceramic/wood Salad Tongs from Ravello. They make great gifts, were easy to pack, and my daughters loved them.

DH usually gets a couple of hats or a t-shirt. We always bring home magnets for our neighbor who watches our house for us, she collects them from all over the world.

Our absolute FAVORITE thing we brought home are the PRICELESS memories and photos. We also remember fondly the nice people we meet.

Enjoy your travels!

Trying to get some ideas and the stories behind them...If you had to describe your favorite souvenir from your cruise to the mediterranean, what would it be and why, and where did you purchase it? And...where is it today?

I love everything I've ever brought back from Italy, but hands down, our chandelier in the dining room has the best story. It's a long and complicated story but here goes:

Before a trip that started in Venice, my husband and I read the book THE CITY OF FALLING ANGELS. This is a non-fiction book that is loosely based around the fire at the Fenice Opera House in Venice, but really is a fascinating look at the lives of several people who call Venice home. One of the important stories focused on Archimede Seguso, a well-regarded glass blower whose apartment was across the piazza from the burning opera house. One of the main points about this man was that he, like the head of most glass houses, was constantly at war with his sons. The sons felt they were ready to take a more responsible role in the running of the business and the father was convinced they were not ready. (This pattern was repeated in glass family after glass family which is why you can visit Murano today and see multiple glass factories with the same last name. In each case, a son had gotten frustrated waiting for the father to hand over the reins of the business and had gone out on his own.)

Now, fast forward to our trip to Murano for chandelier shopping. We expected to buy a particular chandelier from Barovier and Toso. However, when we saw the chandelier in the showroom, we realized the way it was constructed meant its orientation would not work in our dining room. None of the other Barovier and Toso chandeliers moved us a much. Since we had no plan "B," we simply started wandering from showroom to showroom. We came to a factory with one display room under construction although there were plenty of chandeliers hanging up. I fell in love with one. As we were negotiating the order with the salesman, we learned that the designer was Archimede Seguso. It seems that in the years since the book was published, Archimede had died, but by that time all his sons had struck out on their own. There was literally no one left to inherit the business so the lawyers for the estate sold the rights to manufacture Seguso's designs. The factory we were dealing was the purchaser. This development was so recent that the new company was in the process of creating a showroom for the Seguso designs.

Between waiting to receive the chandelier and having it converted from Metric to US fittings, we had to wait almost a year. Now, the Seguso chandelier hangs in our dining room. I think the chandelier is gorgeous even without the story, but the story makes it priceless!

All these things are wonderful souvenirs.Also consider buying calendars from each place that appeals to you, perhaps 5x7 with big photos. I keep them hung up even after the year for the pictures. I also give them as gifts and they are much appreciated.

I love everything I've ever brought back from Italy, but hands down, our chandelier in the dining room has the best story. It's a long and complicated story but here goes:

Before a trip that started in Venice, my husband and I read the book THE CITY OF FALLING ANGELS. This is a non-fiction book that is loosely based around the fire at the Fenice Opera House in Venice, but really is a fascinating look at the lives of several people who call Venice home.

ksps -

I love your story! I just returned from our cruise that started in Venice, so I spent a few days there and visited Murano one day.

When I boarded the Star Princess, I went immediately to the Library and borrowed the book, City of Falling Angels. What a wonderful book to read while all of the memories of Venice were fresh in my mind!

I was unable to complete the book while on the cruise (very port intensive) so I have ordered it from Amazon so I can finish it!

So, to keep this thread on topic...

I purchased a beautiful Murano glass dish from the Carlo Moretti collection, that I will treasure.

I purchased inexpensive ceramic tiles at every stop on all of our Med cruises. Then I mounted them all on a wooden serving tray that I have on display and use often.. It's fun to find just the right tiles (I like kinda tacky ones :D) and people never fail to comment about them. Have started a second collection already, and will mount above my outdoor fireplace.

Robin

Fishbait17...couldn't help but notice you like to slum it on all your cruises (OS, Courtyard Villa...). Must be nice...real nice:D Back on topic...Love your idea of the ceramic tile serving tray. Are ceramic tiles found in abundance during the cruise or are there shops that you recommend or certain ports that are better than others for tile shopping?

ksps...you wouldn't happen to have a photo of this chandelier to upload for us to see, would you:)

Before a trip that started in Venice, my husband and I read the book THE CITY OF FALLING ANGELS. This is a non-fiction book that is loosely based around the fire at the Fenice Opera House in Venice, but really is a fascinating look at the lives of several people who call Venice home. One of the important stories focused on Archimede Seguso, a well-regarded glass blower whose apartment was across the piazza from the burning opera house. One of the main points about this man was that he, like the head of most glass houses, was constantly at war with his sons. The sons felt they were ready to take a more responsible role in the running of the business and the father was convinced they were not ready. (This pattern was repeated in glass family after glass family which is why you can visit Murano today and see multiple glass factories with the same last name. In each case, a son had gotten frustrated waiting for the father to hand over the reins of the business and had gone out on his own.)

Now, fast forward to our trip to Murano for chandelier shopping. We expected to buy a particular chandelier from Barovier and Toso. However, when we saw the chandelier in the showroom, we realized the way it was constructed meant its orientation would not work in our dining room. None of the other Barovier and Toso chandeliers moved us a much. Since we had no plan "B," we simply started wandering from showroom to showroom. We came to a factory with one display room under construction although there were plenty of chandeliers hanging up. I fell in love with one. As we were negotiating the order with the salesman, we learned that the designer was Archimede Seguso. It seems that in the years since the book was published, Archimede had died, but by that time all his sons had struck out on their own. There was literally no one left to inherit the business so the lawyers for the estate sold the rights to manufacture Seguso's designs. The factory we were dealing was the purchaser. This development was so recent that the new company was in the process of creating a showroom for the Seguso designs.

Between waiting to receive the chandelier and having it converted from Metric to US fittings, we had to wait almost a year. Now, the Seguso chandelier hangs in our dining room. I think the chandelier is gorgeous even without the story, but the story makes it priceless!

Great story--I read City before our first trip to Venice as well. Would LOVE to see a photo of the chandelier.

After getting back I read a bunch of the Donna Leon books about Venice as well.

I had just purchased a new house in the Spring of 2010. I decided I wanted to try to find some ceramic drawer pulls to put on the cupboard doors and drawers of my new, albeit very small, kitchen. I found some in a little store in Vernazza (in Cinque Terre) and some more in Montelupo. They are a variety of colors and patterns. I love it! Now, everytime I open a cabinet or a drawer in my kitchen, I am reminded of my trip! In the Montelupo store, I also found some cute small plaques with "WC", "Camera" and "Cucina". I bought them and have them hanging at the entrances to the guest bathroom (WC), guest bedroom (Camera), and the kitchen. They also had a small plaque with a drawing of a dog who looks like mine, with the phrase "Attenti Al Cane" (Beware of Dog). It now welcomes people to my house :-)

...we always try to pick up something that is uniquely representative of each area, when we were in Venice it was Murano glass, in Florence some leather items, Rome was some art from Piazza Navona, San Gimignano has olive wood salad tongs and in Sorrento it was Limoncello!

...the only thing we really wished we could bring back a plane load of was gelato, boy oh boy is that stuff ever marvelous, and habit forming, we can't stand the stuff they call ice cream here anymore, most is now referred to as "frozen desert"...

...we also took lots of pictures, I think I came back with over 17GB worth of full SD cards...

cheers,

the Imagineers

Great story--I read City before our first trip to Venice as well. Would LOVE to see a photo of the chandelier.

After getting back I read a bunch of the Donna Leon books about Venice as well.

I have a line drawing of the chandelier that the factory sent me before they started making the piece. I actually had to sign a copy of the line drawing as evidence of my approval before the work would begin.

I've never done an attachment. I think I've stumbled my way through the process.

Our Seguso Chandelier.pdf

I purchased a beautiful Murano glass dish from the Carlo Moretti collection, that I will treasure.

Love Moretti glass! For those of us who like more contemporary style, this is a great glass house. Moretti's showroom is located in Venice proper, a time saver for cruisers who are only in Venice for the day and who can't do everything in Venice plus get out to Murano.

(Cadsbury's Mom, the main showroom for Moretti glass is at a store called L'Isola located on Salizza San Moise where it intersects with P. San Moise. If you open the map showing the location of this store, you'll also see a key identifying just a few of the many hotels located nearby which accounts for the high foot traffic in the area.)

Some may think this is a little hokey, but we started collecting Christmas ornaments from every place we have traveled many years ago and after being fortunate enough to travel to great places in the US and Europe, our Christmas tree (which is 12 feet tall) has nothing but these ornaments on it. It is always so much fun to unpack them every year and remember the places we have been and how much we enjoyed each trip. Can't wait to add to the collection in September while in Barcelona then Italy!

B. Cole

(Cadsbury's Mom, the main showroom for Moretti glass is at a store called L'Isola located on Salizza San Moise where it intersects with P. San Moise. If you open the map showing the location of this store, you'll also see a key identifying just a few of the many hotels located nearby which accounts for the high foot traffic in the area.)

:D Nice surprise, ksps cruise fan! Laughed when I read this. Had to look twice...

...like a guardian angel watching looking out for me.

And you're right, the map is great. Thanks again. :)

PS....Halfway through the City of Falling Angels audiobook....very interesting.

Archived