Golden to AK: 07.09.11 - 07.16.11 REVIEW

Black_Sheep

My review as published here on Cruise Critic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=86261

In its entirety:

Background

Your author: 40-something, good-looking, father of three, husband of one. Eleven of us (three families). First time to Alaska. First time on Princess; first time on Golden Princess. Second and third-time cruisers. This family is not a family of “shoppers.” In fact, I’d guess that most of us are allergic to shopping. Especially me. So if you want a review of the shopping, skip this review and move on.

Weather

Weather for us was great. Sun, Sun, Sun, and Sun for us in Seattle and Alaska. I think we lucked out. We packed for Rain, Rain, Rain, and Cold. It only rained in Ketchikan for us. And even then…it was more like a mist.

Seattle

Arrived in Seattle one day early. Stayed at the Comfort Suites at Seattle Center (on Roy St.). For the trip from the Airport to the Comfort Suite, we used www.waseattletowncar.com ($60 for 5 of us). Comfort Suite provided a shuttle from the hotel to the ship (Pier 91): $7 per person.

Research it for yourselves, the Comfort Suites is the most reasonably priced hotel in the area. It was great. Take my word for it.

One day in Seattle was just perfect. From hotel we walked to Space Needle, Olympic Sculpture Park and Pike Place Market. Great one-day walking trip.

Also…Comfort Suites is one block away from a 24-hour QFC supermarket (this is a high-end supermarket [think Whole Foods] owned by Kroger [use your Kroger card, baby!]). QFC had a Starbucks in it; we also ate breakfast there (although Comfort Suites had provided a breakfast, too). We bought all the wine we brought on board at QFC, also.

Side note: Comfort Suites was undergoing construction while we were there. I still recommend the place. Nicest front desk team west of the Mississippi. I imagine by the time you read this, the construction will be over. Hopefully

Boarding

We left the hotel at 10:00 am. Got to pier around 10:30. Quick and easy into waiting at the Pier. Boarding started around 11:30. No delays. We made the kids pack their swimsuits in their carry-ons in case they wanted to go swimming. More people swimming throughout this cruise as I expected.

Juneau

We had time to do some souvenir shopping in Juneau before our excursion. We chose the DOG SLEDDING ON MENDENHALL GLACIER. Pricey but worth it. Travel to the glacier via helicopter; spend time visiting a dog camp of over 240 dogs. Plus…you actually get to enjoy a real dog-sledding adventure. Got to meet Matt Failor who’s training as a rookie for the 2012 Iditarod under the tutelage of Martin Buser (a multi-time winner of the Iditarod). If you have kids, I highly recommended it…when’s the next time you’ll be in Alaska, pal?

After the excursion, we had time to walk around Juneau. Saw the state capital (one of only four in the nation with no dome!) and walked to the Governors Mansion (I think we were able to see Russia from the guv’s backyard…Ha!).

Visited Red Dog Saloon. Had a brew (or two). Kids didn’t. Sawdust floor. Interesting atmosphere…PLUS…a piano entertainer. Fun. Two thumbs up.

Skagway

Small, small, small shopping area…if that’s your thing. It’s a town of about 800. Find an excursion for yourselves. Many traveled on the train; we had heard the train really wasn’t that exciting. Good move on our part as one of my drinking buddies who was about 25-years old (see Victoria) who took the train mentioned that it was rather “boring.” Hey…”to each his own.”

We booked the GLACIER POINT WILDERNESS SAFARI. This was FUN for the adults and kids, alike. Catamaran (about one-hour) to Glacier Point. Catamaran served box lunch (yum!) and got to see whales, eagles and sea lions. Disembark catamaran and travel about 5 minutes via bus to a canoe. I am NOT an outdoorsman (I’m a city boy, my friends), but this was great. Canoe for two hours (both manual paddling and help from the motor the canoe had) with a guide, up to the base of Davidson Glacier. As a dude who tries to watch his pennies, this trip was definitely worth it. Got to see a bunch of wildlife and meet people (your guides) who live in an environment with no electricity or plumbing. No lie, this is where we took most of our pictures. You are LITERALLY traveling within a postcard. What fun!

Wife wants to add: Recommend you use the bathrooms on the catamaran, as there’s no plumbing at Glacier Point. Duly noted.

In Skagway, try “Sugar Mama’s” for reasonably priced cupcakes. Try their “Maple Bacon” cupcakes…if you dare!

Glacier Bay National Park

Not an “official” stop, but the ship stayed there for a whole day. We stayed right up along side Margery Glacier for a good two-hours. Glacier: Fascinating. Even more fascinating: the kids watched that darn thing like it was a TV-show (Confessional: so did I). Park rangers “laddered” aboard (yes, they came aboard as the ship was moving!) The rangers narrated the entire time we were in the park. Pointed out wildlife, what we were expected to see, etc.

Now here’s your money-saving tip o’ the day: As we ship was leaving the park, we saw over 50 whales (and assorted sea lions, otters, etc). The bridge pointed these out. There was never a need to take a “separate” whale-watching excursion in any of the cities, simply because we had more sightings than a tourist should be allowed. Now here’s your second money saving tip o’ the day: Don’t feel compelled to buy a cabin with a balcony. We had an inside berth and in Glacier Bay National Park, up on deck we saw A LOT of whales (the aquatic kind, not the human kind…I KNOW what you jokers are thinking). In all seriousness: You’ll get plenty of whale watching as you leave the park.

Ketchikan

Fourth largest city in AK. Totem Pole and Salmon capital of the universe. Evidently. Only day of light rain. The kids wanted to go zip lining. So, yes we went zip lining. The older teens went on the BEAR CREEK ZIPLINE ADVENTURE. You had to be 90-lbs or greater. Highest zip line was 135 feet high. This is located in same park/area as the RAINFOREST CANOPY AND ZIPLINE EXPEDITION which I went on with my 11-year old. You had to be over 75-lbs and highest zip line was 90-feet high; 550-feet long. Fun was had by all. I would say the Bear Creek zip line had folks from teens up through mid-50s. Rainforest Canopy had folks who were probably into their late-60s.

After the zip line, free hot cocoa was offered in the gift shop. AND…most exciting…no lie…we must have seen over 50 bald eagles as we stood outside the shop. Go wildlife!

We actually passed the Saxman Native Village on the way to the zip line park. Got a short glimpse. Don’t think we missed much.

Once back in Ketchikan we—again—had a short (very short!) time for souvenir shopping.

In laws wanted to go on the SAXMAN NATIVE VILLAGE AND TOTEM POLE PARK tour, but it was cancelled for lack of interest. Hmmm. So they went shopping. Mum-law’s the shopper in the family.

Victoria

In laws went to Butchart Gardens, said it was good. I’ll take their word for it. Wife and kids walked into town for sightseeing. Said that was good too; again…I’ll take their word for it. Really is too bad that you’re only there for a short time; town is really picturesque. Walk from dock to town is about a mile. Plenty of cabs, pedi-cabs, etc. if you get off the ship early.

Brother-in-law and I went on the Pub Crawl. Definitely worth it. Got to see the town, drink some beer, eat a few apps…and even better: Someone else does the driving. The pubs we visited were more than generous with their samples; in fact they were all brew-pubs. Owners/managers came out, explained their brews, some gave tours, ALL gave samples.

A few folks ask: “Hey…what pubs does Princess take you to?” Well here’s your answer: 1) Spinnakers Pub (my rating: 5 beers out of a six-pack); (almost) unlimited samples, plus appetizers were provided. 2) Moon-Under-Water Pub (3 beers out of a six pack): This is a new pub, only open 9-months. Nice tour of the place. Samples not as generous, no food (Oh well they’re new…I understand they’re just in start up phase and are watching their pennies [or loonies…since this IS Canada]). 3) Christie’s Pub (6 beers out of a six-pack): Generous samples AND generous appetizers. Unique place with nice ambience and friendly Canadian waitresses.

Libby Riddles

Libby Riddles—first woman to win the Iditarod in ’85—was on board for a talk (in Juneau). If you’re into that she gave a nice talk and slide show.

Entertainment

ASAD: We saw the hypnotist “Asad” twice. I personally thought he was good. Some of the other adults in the party preferred drinking and dancing to his second show. The kids: they loved the guy.

CARLOS OSCAR: Saw him twice. Thought he was ‘okay.’ VERY family-friendly…and not your standard “everyone’s-at-the-buffet” jokes. The other adults in our party and the kids liked him.

BRITISH INVASION: Only show that was SRO (standing room only). Very “upbeat” and enjoyable. We encountered no overcrowding in any of the venues.

Staff

Staff is great. We ESPECIALLY liked Simon the Assistant Cruise Director and his dry sense of humor. He cracked us up. Adults AND kids. You’ve got to watch the WAKE SHOW (onboard TV) and keep an eye on Simon.

Food

Food is really good. I’m guessing 99% better than what the great majority of us get (or make) most of the time. Plus you don’t have to cook/prepare any of it. So…no complaining people! Good job Princess! We ate at the early sitting (and the night of Libby riddles [see above] snuck into the ‘anytime dining’ lounge). Buffet was crowded only one morning.

Kid club

The teens in our group (14-15 years old) voted the teen club “Meh” and only went the first night to see what was going on. Our 11 year old—though—thoroughly enjoyed the kids club for her age and frequently visited there.

Dress

Non-formal nights: Anything goes. Weather was hot (really!) so shorts and “I-just-got-back-from-my-excursion” wear were acceptable. Formal nights: Most men had on jackets and ties, at a minimum. Suits were pretty much standard. Several fancies in tuxedos. For the teen men/boys/guys, khakis and button-down were acceptable. Women’s wear: No idea…I (obviously) couldn’t take my eyes off my wife…so you’ll have to read elsewhere for what the ladies wore.

Wine

All us adults carried two bottles of wine on board. Some of us in our carry-ons; some of us in our regular luggage. Nothing was said by Princess; none was confiscated. We actually were able to carry a glass of wine into the dining room at dinner each night. I was surprised about that. I think our waiter was disappointed about that…because he wasn’t able to make a sale (but…it DID save us a ton of moola!).

Seattle and Back to Airport

Again, used www.waseattletowncar.com $12/per person back to airport.

Wonderful review! We're heading out on the Golden in a week and now you've got me interested in the Skagway - Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. Question - were there many mosquitoes when you were going through the woods to the canoes, and is it a difficult walk? DH pulled a muscle in his lower back and is a bit cautious about any strenuous walks right now. It sounds great though, and not too taxing (um, right?)

You know...we had met several people here in Atlanta that had mentioned "Take bug spray, the mosquitoes are terrible." So...of course we took the bug spray. BUT...we did not use it anywhere! I'm not sure when the "mosquito season" is...it wasn't the week of July 9th!

We booked the GLACIER POINT WILDERNESS SAFARI. This was FUN for the adults and kids, alike. Catamaran (about one-hour) to Glacier Point. Catamaran served box lunch (yum!) and got to see whales, eagles and sea lions. Disembark catamaran and travel about 5 minutes via bus to a canoe. I am NOT an outdoorsman (I’m a city boy, my friends), but this was great. Canoe for two hours (both manual paddling and help from the motor the canoe had) with a guide, up to the base of Davidson Glacier. As a dude who tries to watch his pennies, this trip was definitely worth it. Got to see a bunch of wildlife and meet people (your guides) who live in an environment with no electricity or plumbing. No lie, this is where we took most of our pictures. You are LITERALLY traveling within a postcard. What fun!

Did you book this through the ship? I have nothing planned in Skagway... I have been there a bunch of times and it is my least favorite of the AK ports... so looking for something new.

Yeah...I'll be honest...I booked everything via Princess. Somehow or another I managed to be the "go-to" guy for my family and my wife's family for booking excursions. I have no doubt it would've been cheaper booking on my own; but if something would've gone 'sideways' I would not have heard the end of it. Know what I'm sayin'?

That being said, here is the website of the group that provides the Wilderness Safari. www.chilkatguides.com

With the wilderness safari you travel via canoe. This was suitable for all age groups. I think we had 10-50somethings in our canoe. If you're younger, you may want to look at something with a little bit more adventure (ie one of their rafts). But...like I mentioned...we had a good time here.

I don't know that any other operator takes you to the foot of Davidson Glacier...but I imagine there are other operators that provide similar tours in different places.

Black Sheep,

Do you remember what time Libby Riddles gave her talk on your cruise. Did she have a couple of her dogs at the gangway before the talk? She did 2 years ago.

On our Golden Princess tour in 2009 we arrived at Juneau early in the morning and left late in the afternoon. Libby gave her talk just before the ship left Juneau at about 04:00 PM.

She came on at end of day in Juneau. Her talk was at 6:00 pm. (The only reason I remember was because it conflicted with our early seating dinner...so we just went to the anytime-dining-room after Libby's presentation).

She spoke for about 25 minutes; showed a 25-minute-or-so narrated slide presentation; took 10-minutes of questions...then signed books and was gone like the wind. There were no dogs w/ her in the theater. No idea if she had any near the gang-plank.

She came on at end of day in Juneau. Her talk was at 6:00 pm. (The only reason I remember was because it conflicted with our early seating dinner...so we just went to the anytime-dining-room after Libby's presentation).

She spoke for about 25 minutes; showed a 25-minute-or-so narrated slide presentation; took 10-minutes of questions...then signed books and was gone like the wind. There were no dogs w/ her in the theater. No idea if she had any near the gang-plank.

Thanks Black Sheep. We will be doing 5:30 anytime dining most every night so we may be following your MO here if she shows at the same time for us. Thanks again!!!

In Skagway we've booked through "Alaska Excursions" for the "Mammoth waterfalls and ultra zipline adventure" that I think was completed in either 2010 or new this year. They drive you through town up to Dyea and then switch you to a unimog 4x4 for the drive up to the zip course. Waterfalls, 11 zips, 4 suspension bridges sounds like fun. Website is Alaskaexcursions.com and you book directly. There are 4 ships in port for our August cruise and our intent is to get out of town quickly! :D

Kid club

The teens in our group (14-15 years old) voted the teen club “Meh” and only went the first night to see what was going on. Our 11 year old—though—thoroughly enjoyed the kids club for her age and frequently visited there.

We are taking the same cruise in 10 days and I have similar aged kids, a 15 year old son and 12 year old daughter. I hope you don't mind a few questions.

Did you happen to keep any of the kid's schedules? Scanning and posting may be too much to ask, but if you could give me an idea of the types of activities, I'd appreciate it.

I am afraid my 15 year old will also have a "Meh" reaction to the teen club. That's a common response from him too. :rolleyes: Did the teens in your group end up finding others their age to hang out with? What did they end up doing to keep occupied?

My daughter is mainly concerned about being one of the oldest in the "Shockwaves" group with a bunch of "little kids" since the age range in that group is 8 -12. Did your daughter feel that way at all about the group? Are the activities things that are generally enjoyed by such a wide age group, or are they geared more toward the younger kids? There's such a huge gap in maturity between 8 year olds just entering 3rd grade, and 12 year olds who have already spent a year in middle school and are entering 7th grade!

Did you happen to keep any of the kid's schedules? Scanning and posting may be too much to ask, but if you could give me an idea of the types of activities, I'd appreciate it.

I am afraid my 15 year old will also have a "Meh" reaction to the teen club. That's a common response from him too. :rolleyes: Did the teens in your group end up finding others their age to hang out with? What did they end up doing to keep occupied?

My daughter is mainly concerned about being one of the oldest in the "Shockwaves" group with a bunch of "little kids" since the age range in that group is 8 -12. Did your daughter feel that way at all about the group? Are the activities things that are generally enjoyed by such a wide age group, or are they geared more toward the younger kids?

Schedules:

No, we didn't keep any of the schedules. It seemed like each day they had a morning activity, afternoon activities, and evening activities, even when in Port. They were closed during the lunch hour.

Teens hanging together

Our teens tended to hang with themselves. I traveled with five teens together (ages 14,14,15,15,16); so the five of them had their own group. But there were 192 'teen-aged' kids on the boat...there were a lot of groups...so I imagine your teen will find some folks. They kept themselves occupied by exploring the ship, playing cards, swimming (why? I really don't know...it was cold out!), checking out board games from the library, attending shows in the main theater and some of the bars (all family-friendly), and using their Ultimate Drink Card to get various drinks.

Shockwaves: ages 8-12

The VERY first night, they had the Shockwaves with the little kids. I really think this was for the Kids' Clubs to get a sense of what ages/how many kids were going to be coming. Our daughter is 11. We too were worried that she was going to be the oldest and be bored. After that first night they were separated from the small kids. And, in fact, in later activities, they even separated the Shockwaves into two smaller groups: 8-10 years, and 11-12 years. I think our daughter really liked that and 'asked' to go back. They had Wii contests, t-shirt coloring, kids bingo with prizes, etc. All was geared to her age group, not the little kids. Our daughter didn't do any of the dinners they had for her age group...I think primarily because she wanted to eat the 'adult' foods we had in the dining room.

Have fun!

Black_Sheep: Wow! I am going to post a review soon and it is very similar, although we were on the Golden last week (July 16-23). We had 11 people in our party and also stayed at the Comfort Suites on Roy Street.

For sherryf: Our 12 year old daughter was on the ship with us as was our 11 year old nephew and 8 year old niece. All were in Shockwaves and they did divide the 11 & 12 year olds from the 8-10 group. However, we asked that the 8 year old be able to hangout with our daughter and they allowed it.

The kids in our group only went to Shockwaves a few times but enjoyed it when they did. I know they played video games, colored shirts, made a necklace, painted, and had an ice cream party.

You can decide whether you want your kids to be able to check themselves out of the kids club or can require an adult to check them out.

For the most part, our kids were happy to swim, play trivia, and eat with the adults.

In Skagway we've booked through "Alaska Excursions" for the "Mammoth waterfalls and ultra zipline adventure" that I think was completed in either 2010 or new this year. They drive you through town up to Dyea and then switch you to a unimog 4x4 for the drive up to the zip course. Waterfalls, 11 zips, 4 suspension bridges sounds like fun. Website is Alaskaexcursions.com and you book directly. There are 4 ships in port for our August cruise and our intent is to get out of town quickly! :D

Lori we too are doing this zipline tour and have heard good things about it. When do you cruise? If before me on the 20th of Aug I would love to hear how it was. Thanks so much!

I was on this same cruise and have to say that princess continues to improve in my mind.

We did tours everywhere except Ketchikan. Hiked up to the Mt Roberts tram house which was good, the ride down is free if you buy $10 of souveniers at the top. The hike is medium difficulty and not greatly marked at the beginning but eventually I think all the trail spurs come together and point you up the hill. For reference I hike a good amount in the summer in Seattle, so my "medium" is probably closer to a hard for those that don't hike as much.

In Skagway did the white pass railroad tour which was relaxing and enjoyable. In the afternoon I went for a hike and really wanted to go to the upper Dewey Lake. The trailhead is just north of the docks and east of town. I think off 2nd ave. Anyways, the trail to the lower lake is about 0.5 miles and "medium" difficulty. The lower lake is pretty but nothing special (remember though, I hike in the same type of terrain and vegetation in Seattle, some may think its amazing). The hike to the upper lake is another 2.5 miles and about 2800' gain. I would consider it hard-strenuous as the first 1.5 miles is where you gain 2/3rds of the elevation. Also saw a couple signs of bear as well as a few cruise ship tourists. Dont do this hike unless you hike regularly, have the 10 essentials, STURDY HIKING BOOTS, a bit of wayfinding ability, and perseverance. But the reward at the top is worth it!24113565.jpg

Shockwaves: ages 8-12

The VERY first night, they had the Shockwaves with the little kids. I really think this was for the Kids' Clubs to get a sense of what ages/how many kids were going to be coming. Our daughter is 11. We too were worried that she was going to be the oldest and be bored. After that first night they were separated from the small kids. And, in fact, in later activities, they even separated the Shockwaves into two smaller groups: 8-10 years, and 11-12 years. I think our daughter really liked that and 'asked' to go back. They had Wii contests, t-shirt coloring, kids bingo with prizes, etc. All was geared to her age group, not the little kids. Our daughter didn't do any of the dinners they had for her age group...I think primarily because she wanted to eat the 'adult' foods we had in the dining room.

Have fun!

For sherryf: Our 12 year old daughter was on the ship with us as was our 11 year old nephew and 8 year old niece. All were in Shockwaves and they did divide the 11 & 12 year olds from the 8-10 group. However, we asked that the 8 year old be able to hangout with our daughter and they allowed it.

Thanks to both of you for your reassurance about the Shockwaves group. I hope the separate the 11-12 year olds on our sailing also. I'm also glad to hear that the activities were age appropriate. I know my daughter will be happy to hang out with me, watch movies on MUTS, go swimming, etc. but she is a very social kid and will be happier if she has some time with other kids her age.

Does anyone know if they have the Apples to Apples game in the library? It's my kids' absolute favorite and a great game to get to know people. If they don't have it, I might bring our travel version along.

Archived