How old is Old enough

NJCowboy

Sounds like I am under estimating the size of the ship and the quality of some of the clientele.

I think I have my answer. I do appreciate all the input.

Well, all that I am saying is that your child is your most valuable gift that you will every have, so why take a chance of harm coming to your child that you can prevent. You would not leave your expensive camera or money out in the open for anyone to steal?

Sounds like I am under estimating the size of the ship and the quality of some of the clientele.

I think I have my answer. I do appreciate all the input.

Please don't let some of the responses here lead you to believe that cruise ships are floating pedophile pens. I believe that the vast, vast majority of your fellow passengers -- nearly all of them, if not all of them -- would no sooner harm your child than they would throw themselves overboard. Certainly during the cruises I've taken, the other people there have given off a very friendly vibe. Walking down your corridor is NOT the same as walking down a dark city alley.

As for your specific question, I can't answer it, as my kids haven't reached the age of yours. I would probably lean towards the idea of 7 being a bit young to be off on their own. But there is a difference between vigilance and paranoia; between taking sensible precautions and, well, going overboard. Contrary to what the 24/7 cable-news networks might lead you to believe, kidnappings are actually very rare. Yes, they do happen. Yes, you should take sensible precautions. But don't board the ship thinking that everyone else is licking their chops, waiting for a chance to harm your kids . . . because that's just not reality.

Does Carnival have a policy about the ages kids have to be in order to be unsupervised? Just curious as the OP may want to check on this. Even if you decide that you feel comfortable doing this, you wouldn't want to end up in trouble with the cruiseline for something that they deemed as lack of supervision.

I will say that when I was 7, I would have been allowed to wander the ship by myself. I'm not very old, so it was not that long ago. That being said, I don't think I would allow my child to do this. Even if really bad things don't happen, not all people on cruise ships appreciate or are polite to children. I wouldn't want my child harrassed by a fellow cruiser who felt that my child shouldn't be out by their self. Also getting lost may actually be a real concern. I think that most cruisers will admit that this has happened to them more than once.

Please don't let some of the responses here lead you to believe that cruise ships are floating pedophile pens. I believe that the vast, vast majority of your fellow passengers -- nearly all of them, if not all of them -- would no sooner harm your child than they would throw themselves overboard. Certainly during the cruises I've taken, the other people there have given off a very friendly vibe. Walking down your corridor is NOT the same as walking down a dark city alley.

As for your specific question, I can't answer it, as my kids haven't reached the age of yours. I would probably lean towards the idea of 7 being a bit young to be off on their own. But there is a difference between vigilance and paranoia; between taking sensible precautions and, well, going overboard. Contrary to what the 24/7 cable-news networks might lead you to believe, kidnappings are actually very rare. Yes, they do happen. Yes, you should take sensible precautions. But don't board the ship thinking that everyone else is licking their chops, waiting for a chance to harm your kids . . . because that's just not reality.

I agree with this completely, of course cruise ship passengers are no more (or less) likely to be dangerous to kids than the general population and sensible precaution (not paranoia)is the way to go, just as you do at home.

Depending on ships, some are huge and yes, I can get turned around; but then, I can read maps and navigate myself to the right floor/corridor and don't have to ask help from strangers.

It's just that there may be 3000 or more passengers plus a couple of thousand crew. I see that you have already changed your mind about this and I think you are right. At least wait until you get there and also let a couple of more years go by before you allow much independence on board.

No matter how mature I can't imagine letting a 6 year old walk by themselves to the foodcourt at a Disney resort or letting them walk around a cruise ship unattended. It would only take a minute for someone to pull them inside their cabin/room, not to mention getting lost, misbehaving, etc. The likelyhood that something like that would happen is probably very small, but who would want to take that chance?:eek:

If baffles me when I see the young kids in my neighborhood with no adult outside watching them. Ages 2-6. They could so easily get hit by a car or taken.

I worked in law enforcement for over 20 years in both the US Coast Guard and later with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, with both agencies, I have gone aboard and been waiting at the dock for countless number of cruise ships with arrest warrants in hand for persons accused and or convicted of everything from murder to child molestation to rape to parole/probation violations.

FYI have done so at WDW too just not as often as WDW does not have lists of who enters.

Caution must be the watchword with children.

Yes the ships I have been on have been a tiny fraction of the overall cruise ship community and I will cruise with no hesitations. Cruising is a fine vacation but there are wolves potentially everywhere.

Kid out of my sight, except for the kids programs, NO WAY! (and even then I would be making sure how secure and not easily accessed)

I won't even go into the ships crews safety problems I have encountered. :eek:

It only takes one incident to ruin your whole life. A child that age needs 24 hour supervision.

It only takes one incident to ruin your whole life. A child that age needs 24 hour supervision.

I completely agree with your first sentence -- but not necessarily your second one. When I was 7 years old (the age of the OP's child), my friends and I would roam all through the woods near our neighborhood, or ride our bikes into town. We would stay out all day, coming inside only when the streetlights turned on at dusk. This was not Mayberry, but rather a populous suburb of a large Northeastern city. My parents felt that I could be trusted at that age to do these things, and I never did anything to violate their trust.

Granted, the situations aren't the same; I was not alone (though I was without adult supervision), and I was not in a contained environment like a cruise ship. Nevertheless, my point is that while something could have happened to me, it didn't. Instead, I developed a sense of maturity and independence (not to mention a great sense of direction) that I believe has served me well over the years.

No way would I trust my child until they were at least a teenager (and even then only if they are with another person their age or old) in any place that they are unfamiliar with their surroundings or the people around them.

However, only you know your child and their maturity level. So, that is not the problem. The problem are those around your child. You never know who you are cruising with and what could happen.

There was someone that posted not too long ago (on here) about an experience they had and posted the following link about things that go on during a cruise. I spent HOURS reading everything and was in complete total shock when I was done reading the several pages and stories on here. It's kinda scary, but I wanted to have knowledge of things to look for and what to expect while taking our youngest on her first cruise.

Just please take some time to look at these...they all go on during a cruise. It's scary. Think twice about ever allowing your child out on their own due to the surroundings around them. It really is a mini floating city.

http://internationalcruisevictims.activeboard.com/p/recent/

DD is 15.5YO. She travels with her soccer team, her curling team and her marching band on overnight trips. We have similar rules for her and her friends in any public place (malls, amusement parks, etc) as the teams and her band uses. The kids must travel in groups. At any one time no kid should be less than two "giant steps" from at least two others from the group. It's no one left alone! Even the couple of 18 or 19YO college freshmen who will be allowed to join the band at the TOR parade this coming New Years will be subject to that rule.

We live out in a rather secluded area -- DD runs cross country and has been training all summer. She calls either DH or me at work before she leaves and as soon as she gets back home.

I worked in law enforcement for over 20 years in both the US Coast Guard and later with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, with both agencies, I have gone aboard and been waiting at the dock for countless number of cruise ships with arrest warrants in hand for persons accused and or convicted of everything from murder to child molestation to rape to parole/probation violations.

FYI have done so at WDW too just not as often as WDW does not have lists of who enters.

Caution must be the watchword with children.

Yes the ships I have been on have been a tiny fraction of the overall cruise ship community and I will cruise with no hesitations. Cruising is a fine vacation but there are wolves potentially everywhere.

Kid out of my sight, except for the kids programs, NO WAY! (and even then I would be making sure how secure and not easily accessed)

I won't even go into the ships crews safety problems I have encountered. :eek:

This is good to know and proof that I am not overprotective!

I have 3 kids: DS-16, DS-14, DD-4. Even the teenagers are not allowed to roam the ship alone at night. I insist that they stay together at all times. My boys have been cruising since they were 5 and 7. I started letting them around the ship on their own when my oldest was 12. They had strict rules about curfew, and how to conduct themselves. As they get older, I allow them more freedom. Until they are 18, I do not anticipate giving them absolute freedom. And even then, I will expect them to at least check in with me.

Under no circumstances would I consider allowing a child under 10-12 (depending on the child) go around the ship alone at any time of day.

I did not let my children go off by themselves out of my eyesight at age 7 on a cruiseship. I personnally would not have felt comfortable doing so. I let DS start doing it when he turned 12 and DD was allowed to go with him...she was 9 at that time. I let DD start going off on her own at 12. My kids are now 14 and 17. The rules are that we knew where each other are at all times. If locations change then we have to let the other party know before going there. They only go off on their own during daylight hours and they keep to public areas. I always get rooms near the stairs and elevators so they don't have to walk down hallways of rooms. I feel comfortable letting my kids go off because they have proven to follow the rules, they know how to behave properly in public places, they know the layouts of the ship, they are both mature for their age, and they are both tall and athletic.

You know your child best. However you do not know the people you are sailing with. Use precaution with common sense when giving freedom to a child. I firmly believe in giving kids some freedom, however 7 would be much too young for me to start giving it in that way.

yeah, I know. Child abductions never happens, child molestation never happens. So care for the one and let the other walk around alone, ok. :confused:

I wonderhow many have happened on a cruise ship... At sea.. With nowhere to go. The risk of getting lost and upset or even drowning in the pool seems a lot more likely to me...

I have to agree with the previous posters here.

I have a 13.5 yo and a just turned 9 yo. We just came back from a weekend birthday trip for the 9 yo to Disney. We stayed at the Beach Club Villas. We have been there before.

I have to tell you that there is no way I would have let the 9 yo walk from our room to the store/food court by himself. Believe me, he knew the way and could have done it. But to me, he's too young to do that alone. The 13.5 yo...yes. Not only because he's older and more responsible, but he's the size of an average adult so I don't worry as much about him, plus he had his phone with him.

As for cruising, I have already told the 9 yo that he will not be able to roam the ship by himself. He will either be with his brother or me/grandma. I did not let the older one start doing that until he was at least 10 and then it was only to come back from the kids club to the room...he would call and say he was on the way and we would meet him.

Now that he's older he goes off with other boys his age in the evening or during the day. I sometimes have let the younger one go with him for short periods, but frankly, I don't always like to make the older one responsible for the safety of the younger one.

Only you know your child. I also believe in letting kids have some freedoms and they grow and learn responsible habits as they age. But on a ship that carries 3000 passengers, over 1000 crew and has lots of halls, doorways and other rooms, I would not let a 7.5 year old go off alone. He will not be allowed to check himself out of any kids club so you'll have to get him. Let him walk across the pool deck for ice cream where you can see him, fine. Walk ahead of you to the dining room or the cabin, fine. But out of your sight on his own, not for me.

I hope that you end up having a wonderful time on your cruise with your family and hope your younger child is again healthy and well.

I wonderhow many have happened on a cruise ship... At sea.. With nowhere to go. The risk of getting lost and upset or even drowning in the pool seems a lot more likely to me...

Please see my link above: http://internationalcruisevictims.ac....com/p/recent/

You would be amazed at some of the things that go on for ALL ages.

Just a few examples that I skimmed over while looking just for a few minutes (mind you there are PAGES of this stuff):

72 yr old with a 6 year old.man guilty of child-sex on cruise: http://www.eveningsun.com/ci_18514807

Mother of Victim, a minor. http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/LatestMemberStories/Mother_of_Victim.html

Research Shows Sexual Assault Rates are Higher on Cruise Ships: http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/cityregion/article/1421899

Sexual abuse of 13 yr old: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/02/articles/sexual-assault-of-minors/passenger-indicted-for-sexual-abuse-of-13-year-old-girl-on-disney-wonder-cruise-ship/

Top Ten Reasons Not To Cruise: No. 1 - Cruise Lines Are A Perfect Place To Sexually Abuse Children http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/04/articles/sexual-assault-of-minors/top-ten-reasons-not-to-cruise-no-1-cruise-lines-are-a-perfect-place-to-sexually-abuse-children/

Why Cruises are NOT the Best Vacations with Kids

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2009/11/articles/sexual-assault-of-minors/why-cruises-are-not-the-best-vacations-with-kids/

Then on top of all the sexual abuse, there are the people found dealing drugs, the murders, people come up missing, giving minors alcohol, putting stuff in alcohol of minors with the intent to harm...the list goes on.

I wish I could find the story that was so heartbreaking about a couple that let their daughter go to the teen place with her siblings and I think cousins (all around the same age and several of them) and then they could find her when they went to pick her up. Frantic about finding their daughter...a LONG story, but in the end, someone found her in the stairwell, they found the teenage boys that had drugged her and everything that went on. It was so disturbing.

Please just keep your eyes on your children. They are so precious (and this not only goes for your children but any loved ones...this happens to adults as well!) :(

I know kids that are 12 that would get hopelessly lost on a ship but 7 year olds that are quite savvy travelers who can navigate airports on their own. There was an 8 year old that drown over the weekend in a neighboring town in an above ground pool and yet you have 4 year olds that can swim laps! Every kid is different. Only you know what your kid is capable of. Trust your judgement but know that if something were to happen (shudder) you will have to live with it. I wish that we could all let our kids roam the streets or decks of a cruise ship without worry...but it's just not the world we live in :-( Not everyone is willing to jump in a pool if a kid seems to be struggling nor do we live in a place where someone grabbing the hand of a lost kiddo is viewed positively. What is seen as helpful in one person's eyes can be viewed as inappropriate in another's. To each his own.

A child of the age of 7 1/2 should not be allowed to roam around the ship by himself. He should be taught what to do if he gets lost but I wouldn't let him out of my site. DD wasn't allowed to do ANYTHING by herself outside of the children's center until she was 9 1/2. At that age we allowed her to go get ice cream that was out of our site but on the same deck as we were. Then we did let her run to the room once (2 flights down) by herself. She had to wait on us to get to the room before she could do anything. There are no lifeguards on the ship. It's swim at your own risk. I would NOT let him go by himself. Pools on ships are completely different than pools at a resort. Half the time it seems that the other kids parents aren't watching their own kid let alone keeping an eye out for yours. (KWIM?) If you feel he needs to be out of the room while tending for your other son or he needs a break let him go play with the kids in the children's center. It's a great resource to have to give you a break and him a break.

Going to get an ice cream or a drink when it is on the same deck you are on or in the same general area and only gone a few moments, I would say "yes." Letting him go swimming on his own? Never. Even very good swimmers can drown in an instant. That to me is the biggest danger. There are no lifeguards and no guarantee that anybody would be paying any attention to him.

Going to get an ice cream or a drink when it is on the same deck you are on or in the same general area and only gone a few moments, I would say "yes." Letting him go swimming on his own? Never. Even very good swimmers can drown in an instant. That to me is the biggest danger. There are no lifeguards and no guarantee that anybody would be paying any attention to him.

Also, I believe that all cruise lines include a clause in the passenger contracts that parents must be responsible for their children at all times and that children younger than X (don't know the exact age or if it's even the same on all lines) must have adult supervision (that is, the adults traveling with them) at the pool decks and certain other areas, no exceptions. It is not the responsibility of the other passengers or even the crew to function as lifeguards or childcare assistants, except for the kid's club crew while the children are in the kid's club.

beachchick

My advice would be to go with the best tool you have as a parent...your gut. Get on the ship and see how you feel and go with that. People are going to give you opinions all over the spectrum but only you know what is best for your child. Do what you feel is right and be comfortable with that. And have a good time! (This thread made it sound like cruises are a wretched hive of scum and villainy...they really aren't. They're a blast with people from all walks of life. Enjoy!)

I have mixed feelings about it...

Our last cruise, my eldest was 10 years old... and while we gave him some responsibility... we kept them on a short leash.

Our last cruise was two years ago... and last year, we did the Disney-resort thing... but while the kids had a little more freedom at the resort (go get food/swim at the pool)... we knew they weren't going to hop on the monorail and end up at the Magic Kingdom without us.

A cruise is a little different than a Disney resort... since it's the resort (hotel/food) AND the park (everything else on a ship) at the same time.

Aboard the Song of America, back in the late 1980s, my parents lost my younger brother... Long story short, he had free reign @ 8 years old... went to the movie theater on board, and fell asleep in the theater. He was missing for 4 hours in the evening... the crew was on alert, and housekeeping found him in the empty theater.

I was a teen, I didn't care... but my mother was in a tizzy.

Also, I believe that all cruise lines include a clause in the passenger contracts that parents must be responsible for their children at all times and that children younger than X (don't know the exact age or if it's even the same on all lines) must have adult supervision (that is, the adults traveling with them) at the pool decks and certain other areas, no exceptions. It is not the responsibility of the other passengers or even the crew to function as lifeguards or childcare assistants, except for the kid's club crew while the children are in the kid's club.

beachchick

Apparently it is not relevant to this poster. As I understand it, the 6.5 yo last year went swimming alone at WDW. There are signs posted all over every WDW resort that children under 12 must be supervised by an adult.

Neglect is not too strong of a word.

While I trust my DD 12 and she can find her way around anything, I don't trust everyone else.

We just had this discussion with her yesterday about how much freedom to give her. She wants to roam the ship with friends she makes in camp and I told her " It's not happnin".

Our room (aft) is on the same deck as Camp Carnival ( forward) and I'm not comfortable letting her walk that distance to the room.

I know most fellow cruisers are not out to do harm to anyone, I'm not taking the chance on a few weirdo's that might be roaming the ship also.

Archived