Bathing suit and snorkeling

kbmeow

So I have never been snorkel ing before and have stupid question. Does it matter what kinda suit I wear. I mean if I wear a tankini will I get the top moving and or loosing a piece. Or if I wear a 1 piece does it matter if I wear a skirted suit or not. I mean will the extra material cause any issues?

Don't wear anything with sparkles or fluttering pieces that might look tasty to a big fish. There was a post recently about someone who was badly bitten because of something flashy.... ankle bracelet maybe? If you think about how lures work to attract fish, you'll understand why you don't want to look like one!:cool:

I always wear a suit with a skirt, both as a tankini with a skirted bottom and a 1 piece with skirt, and have been snorkeling many times in them...never a problem. One thing I will say is I prefer a 1 piece for snorkeling with a snorkel vest as I did notice the tankini top rode up on me under the snorkel vest.

I would get a rash shirt to wear while snorkeling. We did 17 days in Hawaii last summer and they were a big help in keeping from getting your back sunburned. We snorkled everyday for a good chunk of that trip.

I wear swim separates and it worked out fine.

So whatever you would wear to swim in, is fine for snorkeling. But the rash guard is a must, protect your back which is always up and facing the sun. And it sounds silly, but put sunscreen on your bum and the back of your legs too, also very exposed while you are snorkeling.

Your suit won't "fall off" if that's what you're worried about!

However, it can be rough in Hawaii in the snorkel spots....I can swim pretty well IN A POOL, but it was a totally different story out in the bay where we snorkeled....after about 10 mins, I gave up and headed for the beach to soak up some rays. I've since discovered that I prefer to see my fish on a plate rather than in the ocean!!!

So whatever you would wear to swim in, is fine for snorkeling. But the rash guard is a must, protect your back which is always up and facing the sun. And it sounds silly, but put sunscreen on your bum and the back of your legs too, also very exposed while you are snorkeling.

Funny, I actually put sunblock on like body lotion before I leave the house when I am going to be in sun. I put it everywhere. I am very pale and very irish and have had a few, how did I burn there moments. I will look into the shirt. Are they loose or tight? Should I go long sleeve or short?

We always enjoy snorkeling and it depends on the suit , if it will bother you or not. I find that a one piece or one with a shorter skirt is more comfortable getting around in the water, I am an ok swimmer but I usually ware a snorkle vest just to give me some security if the current is strong, like a previous poster , I usually do just fine but one of the last times we snorkled I think it was either St. Thomas or Barbados to see the turtles, the current was really strong and kept sweeping us back at the boat and almost under it , so I was glad I had the vest on. We also finally ended up swimming to the beach a little distance to be on the beach , but that was even difficult. I was wishing I had stayed on the catamaran at that point. This is not a normal thing , most times snorkleing is just great. hope you have a wonderful time.

Cori

I have short sleeve rash guards, it's just a preference or it depends on your tolerance to sun exposure. I have three that zip up the front, so it's like a second skin jacket, not too tight, but enough so that it doesn't fill up with water and move around.

I also have several that you just pull over your head - but the front zip are just more convenient if you put it on and take it off several times in a day. I don't wear it except in the water, they can be warm if you are sitting around in the sun after you get back on the boat or to the beach.

A snorkel vest is inflatable and helps you keep bouyant while in the water , it's not bulky like a lifejacket. It's not a lifesaving device but it does keep you up and out of the water if you aren't comfortable just floating.

http://www.snorkeling.info/snorkeling-equipment/snorkel-vests/index.html

Definitely look into a rashguard. Like someone else said, Lands End has some. Athleta dot com also has a pretty selection of them. You can get them snug or loose - it's up to you. Usually they are snug, so just order up if you want a little looseness in the body. Long, short, sleeveless - it's up to you, depending on what level of sun guard you want. I have all 3 kinds, and I use them for different reasons. It's personal preference.

I also have a nice little thin neoprene kayak/surf top that I take with me when i go to Hawaii or California. It just gives a tad more warmth for the Pacific Ocean temps.

Swimming in the ocean can pose issues for some people if they are not used to open water. You'll get swells, tides. You can get carried by the currents faster than you think. If I'm doing my own offshore snorkeling, I will keep it much shorter in time than if I'm going off of a boat. And, I NEVER go alone!!! That's just common sense...

I am used to ocean swimming. So the ocean doesn't faze me. I have swum inlaces know to have undertows and very wavy waters. My biggest problem is water confidence . I have taken adult swim classes and the teachers have said you can swim but need to be confident in it. I Think I am going to lean to short sleeve. Long sleeve in water I think would feel odd. Also the excursion is only about 1 1/2 hours water time so with a shirt and killer sunblock I should be good. I am also starting to tan, I find I am less likely to burn with a good base tan

ok what is a snorkel vest? And they supply them? So if I am not a strong swimmer i should not worry?

On the organized snorkle cruise I did last summer on the Big Island, they didn't have the vests, but a belt that you put on that helped with floating.

We were in a cove so there wasn't much of a current, and I found that snorkeling off the beaches I didn't require one. But the place we rented snorkle equipment from had the belts for rent.

ok what is a snorkel vest? And they supply them? So if I am not a strong swimmer i should not worry?

A snorkel vest looks like what the traffic guards wear -at least mine does being black with glowing green stripes. You puff it up with a little mouth piece that is attached to the vest. It does the most wonderful job of letting you float face down without bouncing around in the wave action so much. The bright stripes are so you can be seen if needed. Easy to wear and worth the weight to carry with you as usually not supplied by the snorkeling boat. Also if wear glasses see if you can rent or buy a mask with your RX. So wonderful to actually see the fishy!:o

Rash guards Sun Protection. YES YES YES. I bought a swim jacket from www.coolibar.com that is made of material like swim suit --very light and stretchy that is guaranteed to provide UPF 50. I wore mine today to just try it out and other than stares because I had on long sleeves in 102 degree weather it was just as cool and comfy as could be. wicking and reflects the sun rays too. Lots of styles so if you are like me and burn immediately (and with great pain!:eek:) try them. I found this site looking for a rashguard to snorkel in Galapagos Islands with equator sun.

A snorkel vest looks like what the traffic guards wear -at least mine does being black with glowing green stripes. You puff it up with a little mouth piece that is attached to the vest. It does the most wonderful job of letting you float face down without bouncing around in the wave action so much. The bright stripes are so you can be seen if needed. Easy to wear and worth the weight to carry with you as usually not supplied by the snorkeling boat. Also if wear glasses see if you can rent or buy a mask with your RX. So wonderful to actually see the fishy!:o

Rash guards Sun Protection. YES YES YES. I bought a swim jacket from www.coolibar.com that is made of material like swim suit --very light and stretchy that is guaranteed to provide UPF 50. I wore mine today to just try it out and other than stares because I had on long sleeves in 102 degree weather it was just as cool and comfy as could be. wicking and reflects the sun rays too. Lots of styles so if you are like me and burn immediately (and with great pain!:eek:) try them. I found this site looking for a rashguard to snorkel in Galapagos Islands with equator sun.

My hubby wear contacts most days not his glasses so he was going to wear them and bring a extra pair if needed.

My preference for the suit is a nice sleek one piece with racer back made of nylon and best yet fully lined. No problem with the snorkeling so much it is the beloved hot tub which makes tankini tops and skirts blow up like a Macy's parade balloon. The racer back means no slipping straps to worry with. The nylon or polyester means no problem with chlorine eating it away and the lining is to make suit last longer and look smoother even if you have too many bumps and lumps (who meee??) I have gone to ordering on line for my swimsuits -- Large size and as you can see very opinionated on bathing suits.

Right now, Athleta has the short sleeve "Summer Shade Tee" on sale for $27.99. It comes in quite a few cool shades. Depending on the color, they have sizes from XXS to 2XL. Take a peek at them. Despite not being called "rashguard", it is good for using when you swim/snorkel.

Make sure your suit has sturdy straps, as accidents do happen:eek:

Also, I found that I'm forever pulling down the top of my tankini as it "rides/blows up". That said, tankinis are excellent if you wish to wear your bathers under your clothes and/or use the bathroom.

Snorkelling is fabulous and opens up a whole new world for you. Enjoy.

Guest zafra63
Make sure your suit has sturdy straps, as accidents do happen:eek:

Also, I found that I'm forever pulling down the top of my tankini as it "rides/blows up". That said, tankinis are excellent if you wish to wear your bathers under your clothes and/or use the bathroom.

Snorkelling is fabulous and opens up a whole new world for you. Enjoy.

I thought too that a tankini would be more suitable, especially when you do a tour and need to use the bathroom?? Good to see that you and I are on the same wave length!! :D

Archived