Deadline to switch TA

ken987

Hi,

I was trying to help out my sister on our cruise. Our final payment is next month. It's been over a month and she finally sent me her info. Her TA charged her over $600 in fees....I'm in the same class of room and my fees are $130.

Is it too late to transfer her to my TA...and do those fees travel with her even if I do change????

Ken

Didn't I read something about having 60 days after booking to transfer to a TA?

Also I would love to know what those fees are? Is it possible that some of it is prepaid gratuitues?

Oh good, I thought I was the only one thinking what you wrote.

You are correct, it is within 60 days to transfer to the TA.

And I also wonder what kind of fees are associated with this transfer?

All I can figure is that when you book on board, you put $100 down. If you transfer to a TA, you need to up your deposit to what is usually charged. I wouldn't call that a transfer fee, just an adjustment of what you will eventually pay either way.

Hi,

I was trying to help out my sister on our cruise. Our final payment is next month. It's been over a month and she finally sent me her info. Her TA charged her over $600 in fees....I'm in the same class of room and my fees are $130.

Is it too late to transfer her to my TA...and do those fees travel with her even if I do change????

Ken

Ken, it's impossible to know what those "fees" are for unless we can actually see the invoices. If you have a good relationship with your TA why don't you get the information to them to take a look at? They should be able to advise you on this.

I've booked many cruises directly with the cruise line and then transferred to a TA for increased OBC. I've never had to increase a deposit or paid extra fees.

It could be the TA added travel insurance. That is fairly routine and will show up on the invoice.

The bigger issue, IMHO, is whether it is possible to transfer the booking from one TA to another. The 60 day rule applies to transferring a booking from the cruise line to an outside agent, but doesn't apply to TA to TA transfers. Those are possible at any time, but a TA doesn't have to allow a transfer as it is a contract between the passenger and the agent. Some TAs will allow a transfer but charge a fee to do so. They are, after all, giving up a commission.

I am assuming now that part of the fees are her tips. Her TA put her on freestyle dining even though our reservations are linked and I told her we were traditional at 830pm. So I sent an email saying move my sister to trad dining and remove the prepaid tips from the fees. We shall see what happens next.

I've booked many cruises directly with the cruise line and then transferred to a TA for increased OBC. I've never had to increase a deposit or paid extra fees.

It could be the TA added travel insurance. That is fairly routine and will show up on the invoice.

The bigger issue, IMHO, is whether it is possible to transfer the booking from one TA to another. The 60 day rule applies to transferring a booking from the cruise line to an outside agent, but doesn't apply to TA to TA transfers. Those are possible at any time, but a TA doesn't have to allow a transfer as it is a contract between the passenger and the agent. Some TAs will allow a transfer but charge a fee to do so. They are, after all, giving up a commission.

Hmmm. Strange. Because I transferred an X cruise and an RCI cruise to a large internet TA that I had to add to the deposit that I made while on board to transfer over to this new TA. I didn't find it to be a big deal because it is just a little more up front, but I wonder what the policy actually is?

Hmmm. Strange. Because I transferred an X cruise and an RCI cruise to a large internet TA that I had to add to the deposit that I made while on board to transfer over to this new TA. I didn't find it to be a big deal because it is just a little more up front, but I wonder what the policy actually is?

It's RCCL. They don't have a "policy" on anything. It's pretty much whatever the agent says at the time. If you don't like it, call back in 10 minutes and try again. The "policy" will have probably changed. :rolleyes:

To further complicate the question, I had booked a cruise while on Radiance last year. It was for another cruise on Radiance after dry dock. I changed the booking this year to X and was able to transfer the booking from one line to another. I was also allowed to keep the lower on-board booking deposit as well as the generous OBC. Go figure. :confused:

That's probably because the TA put you into a group and that required a full deposit. Usually saves you a few bucks or gives you additional OBC going into a group.

I believe you have 60 days from time of booking with cruise line to transfer to TA. What are the fees?

Yes once we book with X on board the ship to get our OBCs from our $200 deposit ,we have up to 60 days to transfer the cruise to our TA. In our case we give the X booking agent our TAs name when we book on the ship ;as we already know our benefits from our TA;):D.

Cliff

I am assuming now that part of the fees are her tips. Her TA put her on freestyle dining even though our reservations are linked and I told her we were traditional at 830pm. So I sent an email saying move my sister to trad dining and remove the prepaid tips from the fees. We shall see what happens next.

Yes, that would make sense. I have never heard of a TA adding that much in fees (well, ANY fees) to the cruise line rates. But of course if you have select dining it does require that the tips be prepaid. Hope this works out for you!

Archived