Vancouver departure questions

azseas

I am sorry if some of these questions are covered in the really long thread -- tried searching but did not see the specific answers. Thank you!

US Dollars -- can I use US dollars for a taxi from the train station to our hotel (delta vancouver suites). If not, do the taxis take credit card? (don't want to have to exchange $$).

Vancouver LightRail: How easy is it to ride their light rail from the train station to downtown -- I understand you can use your credit card via kiosks to buy the tickets -- would this be better than hassling with a taxi? (Luggage not an issue)

The PORT: We will only have carry on luggage --- is it reasonable to walk to the port from Delta Vancouver Suites? Is 10 am too early to leave for embarkation? Is there a Princess Platinum/elite lounge in vancouver?

Yes, you can use US$ for cab and almost everything else in Vancouver with the exception of public transit. With the CDN$ being about 5 cents higher than the US$ you can expect that the exchange rate will be between par and & 90 cents on the US$ and you will get your change in CDN$. All of the cabs take US Visa and Mastercards...AMEX and Discovery much less so. Your cab fare to your hotel will be about $10/$12.

It's very easy to catch SkyTrain from the train station. Just walk across the park in front of the station, cross Main St. and go up the elevator in Main St. station. Catch either line to Waterfront Station, come out on to Cordova St. and walk up 1 block Seymour St. to Hastings St., turn left and you are there. Yes you can use your credit card on SkyTrain and your fare will be $2.50 pp. Your choice cab or SkyTrain, it really doesn't matter.

No, Vancouver does not have an Elite/Platinum lounge. The porters at Canada Place start accepting luggage at about 10:30, Princess starts embarkation of the ships about 11:30....so if you arrive between 10:30 and noon you are going to experience lines....If you can wait until early afternoon the lines are much shorter. In addition to all of the normal check in procedures you have to clear US customs at Canada Place and this tends to slow things down.

I am sorry if some of these questions are covered in the really long thread -- tried searching but did not see the specific answers. Thank you!

US Dollars -- can I use US dollars for a taxi from the train station to our hotel (delta vancouver suites). If not, do the taxis take credit card? (don't want to have to exchange $$).

Yes, taxis will accept US$ (typically at slightly less than the bank rate), and also take credit and debit cards.

Vancouver LightRail: How easy is it to ride their light rail from the train station to downtown -- I understand you can use your credit card via kiosks to buy the tickets -- would this be better than hassling with a taxi? (Luggage not an issue)

It's across the street from the train station, the elevator/escalators for "MAIN ST/SCIENCE WORLD" platform is located on Terminal Ave next to the entrance to Van City savings), or there's a set of stairs without even crossing a street (although lugging a suitcase up what is a fairly long staircase..). Ride the any train heading west to WATERFRONT, and exit using the far end elevator at Waterfront. Your hotel is a short 2 block walk, albeit slightly uphill. Weirdly I read your message this morning, while sitting on Skytrain, just pulling into MAIN ST/SCIENCE WORLD.

The PORT: We will only have carry on luggage --- is it reasonable to walk to the port from Delta Vancouver Suites? Is 10 am too early to leave for embarkation? Is there a Princess Platinum/elite lounge in vancouver?

It's about a 4½ block walk, mostly level. Stay on W.Hastings, and turn right on Howe is the easiest route.

US Dollars -- can I use US dollars for a taxi from the train station to our hotel (delta vancouver suites). If not, do the taxis take credit card? (don't want to have to exchange $$). I went on Farewhiz and figured out that to go from the Train station to the hotel for you would be about $7 including tip ($5.79 plus tip) I would think that the taxis would take US funds. They all take major credit cards, I believe.

- it is very easy to use the Skytrain system. The train station has a Skytrain station at the front, along MAIN street. Make sure you take a train that is going towards WATERFRONT. The trains come every 2 - 4 minutes. From the station you get on (MAIN STREET -SCIENCE WORLD), you will go FOUR stations to the end (WATERFRONT). The system has a voice announcing each stop. Yes, you can use your credit card to get a ticket (You only need to buy a ticket for ONE ZONE) The fare is $2.50 per person.

The PORT: We will only have carry on luggage --- is it reasonable to walk to the port from Delta Vancouver Suites? Is 10 am too early to leave for embarkation? Is there a Princess Platinum/elite lounge in vancouver

- your hotel is within walking distance from the hotel! Not sure about the time, but our experience going onboard cruise ships, is that they prefer people to come in the early afternoon. It gives the ships time to clean rooms and get ready for new guests.:)

If you have any more questions, you can message me.

I am glad to hear that you can use US money for the cab and other things in Vancouver. I was going to get some Canadian funds before I left home but my bank wants $230 US dollars to get $200 in Canadian funds. This includes all their fees but I still thought that sounded like too much and figured I could do better with a credit card once there.

One thing that you should establish with your credit card issuer is what kind of foreign transaction fees they charge on purchases. I am an account of BofA in Arizona and I am always appalled by the fees they charge whenever I use (inadvertently) their card to make a purchase up here in British Columbia:eek:. Some banks are better then others though...BofA just tends to be toward the worst.

Thank you all for the input!! I am thinking we will jsut take a taxi to the hotel as it is really not all that much more expensive then the train. Really appreciate the great feedback. Good tips on the credit card -- I will check out what my bank charges.

One thing that you should establish with your credit card issuer is what kind of foreign transaction fees they charge on purchases. I am an account of BofA in Arizona and I am always appalled by the fees they charge whenever I use (inadvertently) their card to make a purchase up here in British Columbia:eek:. Some banks are better then others though...BofA just tends to be toward the worst.

FYI, I have a BofA account, too, and BofA has an arrangement with ScotiaBank so that no fees are charged on withdrawals at ScotiaBank ATMs. For purchase when up in Canada, I use my Capital One card, which doesn't charge exchange fees.

FYI, I have a BofA account, too, and BofA has an arrangement with ScotiaBank so that no fees are charged on withdrawals at ScotiaBank ATMs. For purchase when up in Canada, I use my Capital One card, which doesn't charge exchange fees.

Yes, thank you I was aware of that. Interestingly when I tried to do some banking with BofA through ScotiaBank, I am thinking was to deposit some money in my BofA account or pay my BofA Visa bill, I was informed that their mutual arrangement did not extend to that level.

Archived