Quick Question - Explorer in January

The wife and I are looking at cruising on the 11 night Southern route on Explorer out of Bayonne in January. I would like to hear others experience with this cruise. Specifically how cold is it during embarkation/debarkation? as well as the first and last full days at sea?

We have always cruised the Caribbean out of Florida ports in the winter and want to know how leaving Bayonne this time of year affects things. Is it cold/cool 'inside' the ship?

My wife suffers from CRPS and cold weather affects her pain levels adversely.

Quick Answer - It's totally unpredictable. January is the coldest month of the year in the NY area. It could be as warm as 50 degrees or as cold as 5 degrees.

Sorry, but there is no way of knowing.

plan on being cold the first day and a half and last day or 2....bring things you can layer as well.....

sometimes the seas are bumpier in the winter, so if you're prone to seasickness, start taking something the day before....

as for getting on/off the ship, that part probably won't be too bad, well disembarkation can be a little rough as you'll be leaving the ship to go outside and board the buses, so you might be out in the cold a couple minutes (or snow..:eek:)

that's my one issue with the buses...one entrance has a little tent thing over it with some (somewhat effective) heaters...the other side has nothing, and last time we cruised in snow, people in wheelchairs got off the ship at the entrance that was NOT under a little tent...hard to describe, but wheeling a wheelchair in snow is not fun.......

it really isn't too bad....just plan for cold and hope for the best

Once you're on the ship it's warm inside. No real need to go outside until it warms up. You can get nice views from inside on deck 14 as well as other places around the ship. When you get to the Caribbean, the air conditioning runs full blast and parts of the ship inside can actually be too cool - take a sweater or shawl just in case.

My mother was 91 on her last cruise and sensitive to the cold and she had no problems.

Did it twice in January. Both times it was cold but like the OP stated, there is no reason to go outside till the afternoon of Day 2. You do need to attend muster but that should only last 10-15 minutes or so, and then its just like being in any hotel.

Going under the Verranzo bridge is something that should not be missed though. Right after muster, head up to Dizzy's Bar, get a window seat and prepare for a great sailaway!! Besides, YOU'RE ON VACATION!!!

- Miriam

Archived