Oasis changing Itinerary due to tropical system

Hope they make the best of the change but I feel for the crew on board as many will not understand that there is a tropcial system that now has near a 100% chance of becoming a tropcial storm within the next 48 hours. Guest Relations will be crazy with complaints.

It is unfortunate that an Eastern sailing has turned into a Western. People will not be happy. Get the guest service desk staffed....

What they don't understand is that a lot of what makes Oasis special would be lost in the rain and rough seas. In the long run they are much better off with the diversion.

Just found out from family onboard the Oasis of the Seas this week that due to the storm, they are going to go to Costa Maya and Cozumel instead of St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

Please keep us updated. I have family on the Oasis this week too. I figured they would do this with the storm coming. They had shore excursions planned, but wouldn't have been much fun in a storm anyhow!! At least, hopefully they will have good weather now.

Do you know which days they will be in each port?

Please keep us updated. I have family on the Oasis this week too. I figured they would do this with the storm coming. They had shore excursions planned, but wouldn't have been much fun in a storm anyhow!! At least, hopefully they will have good weather now.

I don't know which days they'll be in each port.

I don't see anything on the radar that looks like it would effect them. Yes, I too am down to 13 days until I get on her for the first time. It's hard to focus on what needs to be done right now. Work, finishing up my last class for this quarter, and what is being done with the kids and pets while we are gone.

Our itinerary was changed from Eastern to Western. Was I happy? No. But did I want to sail into a hurricane? Of course not. The best thing about the Oasis is that there is so much to do, it becomes less of a problem when there is an itinerary change.

I don't see anything on the radar that looks like it would effect them. Yes, I too am down to 13 days until I get on her for the first time. It's hard to focus on what needs to be done right now. Work, finishing up my last class for this quarter, and what is being done with the kids and pets while we are gone.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

noaa is our friend. :)

Go to NOAA's web site and you will see that the storm is about 430 miles from St. Maarten, and it is all of the models have the islands in their sites (Weather Underground shows the models).

Does Royal post their itinerary changes anywhere? My sisters are on Serenade, leaving shortly out of San Juan and they will be stopping at their last port first. As of now, I don't think any other changes have been announced. I like to follow their progress but will lose telephone contact soon.

I've also got family on board this sailing. According to their email, the itinerary change will have them in Costa Maya on Wednesday and Cozumel on Thursday.

This is good information. Sailing in September, I kind of wanted an idea of what alternate ports could/would be used. I know there could be other ports or no ports but it is still interesting to read. Different ports-even ones that people on here generally dislike-are better than no ports.

How in the world could anyone hold Royal Caribbean responsible for weather...silly people. One of the best parts about a cruise is that bad weather isn't a problem, in most cases they can just sail over to clear skies and warm weather when needed. Can you imagine booking an all-inclusive resort that does nothing but rain for 7 days. :(

A sign of a good traveler is someone who can still have a good time even when unpleasant things befall them. Traveling is an adventure, be happy!

I am trying to make contingency plans in case our Eastern itinerary gets changed to Western for our Allure cruise on Sept. 4th.

How do you make plans for ports that you were not planning on visiting? For example, I'm looking at something to do in Costa Maya, and the AI's all require advance reservations. Same for Cozumel.

I am a compulsive planner (in case you couldn't tell :rolleyes:). Not sure how to make contingency plans. Any suggestions (other than RCI tours)?

I've also got family on board this sailing. According to their email, the itinerary change will have them in Costa Maya on Wednesday and Cozumel on Thursday.

Thank you for the information. I haven't heard from any of the family yet. Not sure if they will find that little computer room and if they do, I'm sure it is pretty crowded with everyone trying to contact home. Will be sure to let you know if I hear anything else.

Looks like Freedom will have to change also.

R&D

They are supposed to be in St. Thomas on Wed. when storm may hit. We are on Freedom two weeks from today so want to see what RCI would do with the itinerary if we are in a similar situation.

I am trying to make contingency plans in case our Eastern itinerary gets changed to Western for our Allure cruise on Sept. 4th.

How do you make plans for ports that you were not planning on visiting? For example, I'm looking at something to do in Costa Maya, and the AI's all require advance reservations. Same for Cozumel.

I am a compulsive planner (in case you couldn't tell :rolleyes:). Not sure how to make contingency plans. Any suggestions (other than RCI tours)?

Linda - great question! I'm also a compulsive planner and was thinking the same thing. I know that I can research alternative ports (only so many options for Oasis or Allure) and I can grab names of recommended tours, but I'm thinking it would be very difficult to get in touch w/ them while on the ship. Jumping on this thread to see what suggestions you get!

They are supposed to be in St. Thomas on Wed. when storm may hit. We are on Freedom two weeks from today so want to see what RCI would do with the itinerary if we are in a similar situation.

There is no rubber stamp for this. There are so many variables including port availability, other ships scheduled or rescheduled and the prevailing weather. If a storm changes or stalls in an area. I have seen where a hurricane going west did a 180 turn and headed back east. We are happy when there is weather that affects the itinerary that the Captain and staff are working to keep us safe. Everything after that is gravy!

I think if this happens to us (Allure eastern 8/21), we'll just grab a cab to the nearest beach at the "new" ports.

Archived