Ladies Only Cruise

marvholly

group of us have been talking about a Ladies Only cruise over on another board for about 2 months. I have just requested pricing from for the Explorer of the Seas Feb 06. If any one is interested, please either post here.

Missyal: I will!!

Happysinglemom: some of us have no choice. We do not have partners/mates, are widowed or SO refuses to cruise. Some of us just prefer it that way. Since you appear not to be interested, please allow those of us who may be the opportunity to do something we love. Just because we are single does NOT mean we cannot do things couples/families do. We are trying to go together to keep costs down.

... please allow those of us who may be the opportunity to do something we love.

I don't know why you said that - I only asked WHY. It never occurred to me that someone who wanted to go on a cruise, would not go alone if they had no companion. I am a SINGLE mom - I go to movies alone all the time. In fact - I even go to clubs alone occasionally. I guess I am just more independent than most. :rolleyes:

>>>>>>>I don't know why you said that - I only asked WHY. <<<<<

It's now *what* you said, it's how you said it and the sarcasm comes though loud and clear. For example, if you posted a photo of a dress you were thinking of wearing on your next cruise, and someone said "Why on earth would you want to wear that dress?" I don't think you take it too kindly.

>>>>>>>>It never occurred to me that someone who wanted to go on a cruise, would not go alone if they had no companion. <<<<<<<

Well, you gotta start thinking out of the box and expand your horizons and realize that not everyone deals with life the same way.

>>>>>I am a SINGLE mom - I go to movies alone all the time.<<<<<<

Not quite the same thing. That's 2 hours, not a week and you don't have to pay for the empty seat next to you.

Guess that goes both ways, Jane, There was absolutely NO sarcasm intended in my question. I have never in my life heard of a ladies only cruise - OR a guys only cruise for that matter. Unfortunately, if one assumes and llooks for negativism in every post, one will surely find it. And as far as "expanding my horizons" - that is exactly what I was doing by asking the question in the first place. :rolleyes:

I suppose that is a way to save money - I did not think about that part of it. But for me (and I suppose that I am fiercely independent) no amount of money would get me to share a cabin with someone I did not know. I would be SO uncomfortable - and I would not have thought that this was done, as a rule. But - now I know differently.

I am totally confused!!

What was wrong with happysinglemom's question? And What on earth does it have to do with money? or being single? or not having a husband?

Wouldn't single people NOT want to go on a ladies only cruise?

Now that I think of it...By "ladies only" do you mean a group of ladies travelling together? or do you mean ONLY women on the cruise ship? Cause that's what I thought it meant, like a non-smokers cruise, or a diet cruise, etc.

But based on the reactions, maybe that's not what it is ???

Melissa :)

To me the sarcasm from happysinglemom came thru LOUD and CLEAR. This cruise is planned as a group of ladies traveling together so singles MAY have travel partners, people to spend time with, if they wish, and dining companions. I am glad some can afford the single supplements. I cannot and would rather get to know some people even via these boards and email before I travel.

Now, lets drop this and get back to cruising.

What a big deal over nothing. I understood perfectly what Marvholly was saying. She is talking about getting a group booking for ladies who would like to do a cruise without their significant others at a reduced fare. I am part of a group of six women that met through the cc boards. So far we have done 2 trips. The first was a 4 day in Ft Lauderdale and the second a 5 day in Chicago. The ladies are from different states, in fact different countries and it is such fun! Nevertheless, for our next adventure we are looking into a cruise on the MCS Opera and we are thinking of taking the DHs along too, as long as they behave themselves and don't whine!

Marvholly, I think your idea is great!

>>>>>>There was absolutely NO sarcasm intended in my question. I have never in my life heard of a ladies only cruise - OR a guys only cruise for that matter. Unfortunately, if one assumes and llooks for negativism in every post, one will surely find it. And as far as "expanding my horizons" - that is exactly what I was doing by asking the question in the first place. <<<<<<<

Okay, if you say so. However, it did read that way in print.

I am surprised though that you're unfamiliar with the concept of a group of friends - whether they be cyber friends, work friends or simply close friends getting together to take a cruise. Often there's a "raison d'etre" that connects them, i.e. bird watchers, wine enthusiasts, bachelor/bachelorette party, whatever...... and in Holly's case, an apparant expansion of the

"Cyber friends - Girls Night Out" concept - but on the high sea's.

As Holly's cruise firms up and the group starts to form, I'm sure they'll post here and have lots of interaction, so you'll get to see how these things grow from one person's idea, become a reality and strong friendships are forged.

>>>>>>>I suppose that is a way to save money - I did not think about that part of it. But for me (and I suppose that I am fiercely independent) no amount of money would get me to share a cabin with someone I did not know. I would be SO uncomfortable - and I would not have thought that this was done, as a rule. But - now I know differently.<<<<<<<<

Saving money is indeed a driving force for many because single supplements on cruise ships can kill the idea of taking a cruise alone for many people. You're very lucky that it's not a hinderance for you. I think that's just great! How many cruises have you taken alone?

Like you, I would be very uncomfortable sharing a cabin with someone I did not know. However going on Holly's "Ladies Only" cruise, I'm sure doesn't preclude anyone from taking their own cabin. It's about going onboard with a group to share activities and meals with. Lois is our Ambassador of Lone Cruisers and obviously not shy and is independent enough to go on a cruise alone and know that she'll be surrounded instantly by lots of fellow cruisers who enjoy and want her company. And like you, she can manage the single supplement.

I'm also "fiercely independent" and enjoy doing things alone. I go to museums, movies and dance performances by myself if DH doesn't feel like going or is out of town and I go to Paris once or twice a year by myself. However, I wouldn't go on a cruise by myself nor would I share a cabin with someone I didn't know. I once went on a cruise with a group of cyber friends from a travel forum and we had a blast. I took my own cabin but was with the group for all the activities I wanted to join in on and then on my own for the things I wanted to do independently.

So let's move on with Holly's group cruise plans. I'm interested in seeing how they take shape even though I won't be going. Then perhaps all the things you couldn't imagine doing because of your fierce independence will open you up to a new concept that you said you've never heard of before. Maybe it'll never be for you, doesn't matter, at least you can get an appreciation of how others create joy for themselves. You just have to understand that reading a line like "Why on earth would you do that?", comes across as a negative judgement line and not as an innocent question seeking enlightment.

Holly, so, how many people so far?????

Jane

Oh my gosh. I REALLY did think you meant a "ladies-ONLY" cruise. Like...If a cruiseship had a cruise for women only, would you go? People ask that question all the time about other type of specialty/theme cruises.

I swear that's how I read it! Maybe that's what happysinglemom thought too?

I'm sure tons of people would love to go on a cruise with other women.

But I doubt many would want to go on a cruise for ONLY women.

I'd love to go on a cruise with my girlfriends, but I'd never go on a cruise where there were no men on the ship - LOL!!!

Maybe that's where the confusion came in?? Just a thought...

melissa :)

Melissa,

It would be an interesting concept if the Explorer of the Sea's became "women only" passengers for one of their cruises. However, it's not one that I'd want to join in on. I prefer dancing with men! LOL!!!

Not to worry, I don't think it's likely to happen. :)

Holly - so how many do you think you'll have for this fabulous fete at sea?

Jane

Thanks Jane.

Ladies:

Plans, due to an itinerary glitch on my part, have not firmed up as I had hoped. I wanted to be able to post specific info this week. We are looking at an eastern itinerary for 7 days in February on Carribean Princess, Zuierdamm (sp) or an RCI ship sailing from an FL port. I also have a current time problem with a BUNCH of things to do at home, DD1 having a baby the end of July (shower in May), DD2 getting married 9/4/05 (shower in June) and several people on vacation from work over more than the next month. I am trying to get someone else to work on the set up right now as I do not believe we can wait too long and still get decent prices.

Will post again when I have specific, hard info.

Missyal: I will!!

Happysinglemom: some of us have no choice. We do not have partners/mates, are widowed or SO refuses to cruise. Some of us just prefer it that way. Since you appear not to be interested, please allow those of us who may be the opportunity to do something we love. Just because we are single does NOT mean we cannot do things couples/families do. We are trying to go together to keep costs down.

have you been in touch with the J.U.G.S. group? "

("Just Us Girls" I think there is a website, "FranYalice" is one of the women we met onboard and you can find her here in these boards) Married and Single women. We met them on a Millennium cruise. There were about 35 of them and they merged with N.P.P.A. (No Party Poopers Allowed-about 55 of them, both couples and single cruisers). It made for a large group of friendly cruisers and Millennium threw a great party for all us.

My first try to continue cruising after my DH passed away was JUGS. However, after several month of emails to D. Cawdry to get "permission" to enter the special area on this board I just gave up. I have no interest in a group that I have to BEG to join.

I am very happily married, but would love to go with a ladies only cruise! What a hoot and how much laughing can you stand!

Except, next February we will be celebrating our 20th anniversary, so I'm gonna hafta cruise with the DH (no kids, yipee!)

I hope you have a great ladies only cruise!

Holly:) I don't blame you there.

Jean, its ok, we are all allowed opinions. I had never thought too much about the name. I did have access to their site a long time ago. But since.....wow, I cannot recall, at least 18 months ago I never used it. I don't think I have "access anymore".

As Jane mentioned earlier in this thread, I do sail solo ALOT. Actually I had 2 cruises planned, both of which I was actually going to share a cabin with 2 different gals I had met from these boards. Well, turns out both had to cancel and I changed my plans, but still went cruising, but on my own. I wonder if that is sign I am just meant to sail solo?;)

No static but as a "member" of JUGs, I LOVE the name. It is very inventive & certainly is remembered by everyone that hears it! Marvholly - sorry you had trouble getting in touch w/ Debbie. The bulletin board had a lot of problems for several months. I have sailed 2 times with cabin mates I first met when I stepped in the room & once with someone I met briefly (she lived in the same city). I had a wonderful time on all three & have remained friends with all & have or will cruise again with 2 (the other travels soooo much, I couldn't keep up!)

>>>>>>........ I was actually going to share a cabin with 2 different gals I had met from these boards. Well, turns out both had to cancel and I changed my plans, but still went cruising, but on my own. I wonder if that is sign I am just meant to sail solo?<<<<<<<<<

Lois,

Nope, I don't think so. Hey, things happen with other people that we have no control over. What is IS a sign of though is that you're going to have fun despite other people's situations. You may find a pal to cruise with again sometime or you may not. The point is, you're taking charge of your life and enjoying it and I admire you for it. If someone wants to join you, then you're fine with it. If they have to back out, you'll still be fine! Good for you!

Keep on truckin'........errrr, I mean cruisin'! :)

Jane

Archived