Solo cruise as First cruise?

I_heart_vaca

I have been planning my first cruise for sometime and have just learned my cruise partner (who is my usual travel partner) will not be able to go. I am looking for another person to go (so as not to lose the money) but have decided I want to go regardless of if I can find a fill in...so my question is this - - -

Is a solo cruise ok for a first time cruiser or would you not recommend it?

Thanks!:D

Since this is your first cruise, you don't know what to expect and it is always more pleasant when there is a friend to come along with you.

My opinion is...you are never really alone on a cruise ship. There is always games and lots of activities that you can partake in...like line dancing, or ballroom dancing...some ships even have Hip-Hop dancing. There is trivia as well as treasure hunting...too many to name.

I always went with a friend until one day, like you my regular "cruising" friend could not go and so i went by myself. Now I find that I can cruise by myself. I always bring a good book to read and if I finish it before the cruise is done, then I borrow one from the ship's library.

Another way to meet folks is your table mates at Dinner.

Hope this much helps and have a cruise cruise!

I've been on more than 30 solo cruises, literally all over the world. It's the best way to travel. Always remember you are your own best friend. Solo cruises are a wonderful way to travel, meet new people and see the world. And as a solo, you are beholding to no one. You can do what you want, when you want, you can keep in or wake early, and probably the best part, you don't have to share a bathroom.

I have been planning my first cruise for sometime and have just learned my cruise partner (who is my usual travel partner) will not be able to go. I am looking for another person to go (so as not to lose the money) but have decided I want to go regardless of if I can find a fill in...so my question is this - - -

Is a solo cruise ok for a first time cruiser or would you not recommend it?

Thanks!:D

Let us hear from you to see what you decided!

Go have some fun...alone or not.......:D

This is just my opinion, but I guess it really depends on your personality. If you are use to traveling alone and/or don't mind being around a large group of people by yourself, then you should be fine. More often than not, someone (or you) will start up a conversation different times thoughout the trip and you can meet people that way if you are interested..

You will technically rarely be by yourself (unless you stay up in your cabin a lot) but some people can feel alone even in a crowd and get uncomfortable with that feeling.

As already mentioned, there are a lot of activities on the ship that you can part take in and even if your travel buddy were able to make it, that doesn't necessarily you would have done everything together anyway.

I personally don't think I could do a whole cruise by myself. However, even when I am traveling with my friends and family, there are times when we kind of split up for a couple of hours here and there to do our own things. I do experience alone times on the ship and meet new people, but it is always nicer (to me) to gather later with the people that really know me to experience everything.

It looks like you have gotten some great suggestions for cruising solo and I hope you have have a great time either way!

Join your roll call to meet folks prior to the cruise itself.

I second this! Meet some peeps on your roll call ahead of time, and perhaps find out when the meet & greet will take place, or see if anyone is planning any excursions among your group. It's unlikely you'll feel "alone" unless you really want to feel alone. :)

If you like to be alone, then you'll have a good time. If you like to share good times, find someone else, or rebook when you can get a partner, if possible!

If you do go it alone, pick a traditional dinner seating, so you'll have folks to talk with at dinner!!!!

my first cruise was solo. loved, loved, loved it. oh my gosh, go and have a great time. you will not feel out of place with the other singles on board and you can do as you please on the ship and in the ports. have a great time.

My first cruise was with my husband but he didn't like cruising as much as I did so I have booked to go alone this time. I leave on Saturday on a Shearings trip to cruise the Baltics on MV Discovery and I am so excited.

I know that I will have a wonderful time and I am sure that you will too. Cruisers, in my experience are so friendly.

My first cruise was on my own, and I loved it. As long as you're happy in your own company (with a book, or people watching, or whatever), you'll be fine. As others have said, you'll always run into people on board to chat with from time to time. If you get on with them, you can arrange to meet up again, if not, you can drift off and meet other people :)

Have to say I don't think I met any other single travellers, but it didn't bother me. Going on my second solo trip next month!

My first cruise was with a small group, and my upcoming cruise is solo. I think I may have liked the first one better if I'd gone solo. Don't get me wrong - I loved having my family around, no doubt. But I would have been better off doing the first one solo and then the second one in a group.

There is a lot to do an a ship, but I wasn't finding things I liked as much as I could have. I was the only first-time cruiser in the group, so I spent too much time the first few days getting oriented around things they wanted to do - like play Bingo.

If I'd been on my own, I would have had to figure out the ship and the things I really wanted to do much more quickly. Also, my group was larger - about 8 people - and it seemed like everything slowed down. Dinners took about 2 hours. I don't have the patience for that.

I am looking forward to being on my own this time, to be honest.

Archived