Dream vs Miracle??

daisy7113

Hi,

Planning a cruise for November. Looking at either Dream or Miracle. Dream's itinerary is Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

Miracle's itinerary is Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic and Grand Truk.

Earlier this year we were on the Dream for the Western route and while it was ok, the weather put a damper on a lot of the trip. I did like the ship though.

I really like the itinerary for the Miracle but DH is concerned that it wont have as much as the Dream has. He likes the newer ships.

So, your feedback both good and bad on both ships would be appreciated. :D

Haven't been on the Dream, but hear good things about the ship. We did the Miracle in '06 and will not go on it again.

The decor is horrendous!! We could not stand to be in the dining room because it is so ugly and uncomfortable. Not just my opinion. I went with a group of about 30 and everyone felt the same way.

The cabins are the same, no matter which ship you are on. Very nice.

The Lido deck buffet was so "screwy" as far as design, that it was not easy to get around in there.

But.............I am sure there are others on here who will say they loved the Miracle. So, again, I can only give my own opinion.

I think, respectfully, that CG will prove to be in the minority with her opinion on the Miracle. I think all the Spirit-class ships are comfortably-sized, clean, with great amenities, etc. Unfortunately, I have not been on the Dream yet and thus can't give a meaningful opinion, but I am looking forward to seeing what her sister ship the Magic is like this coming October. Either way, OP, the choice of itineraries sounds great, so you should come up winners either way!

I'm one of those that feel the Spirit Class is the best thing Carnival has going. They are a very nice size with the best space ratio in Carnival's fleet, and they have a great layout. Lot's of public spaces and great pool and deck areas. Also the gym and spa are very nice.

I do agree the MIRACLE has some well, interesting decor but this is the case on most Carnival ships. If you're looking for elegant and subdued surroundings Carnival is not the line for you. Carnival ships have been all about theming style decor, and MIRACLE is no exception. CARNIVAL BREEZE will be the first ship designed entirely without longtime Carnival designer Joe Farcus involved. It will be the first Carnival ship where we see a dramatic change in style, and a peek into what future ships of Carnival may look like in the decor department.

I have no interest in the DREAM and MAGIC as essentially they are the Destiny Class ships on steroids ... a design that dates back to 1996. Carnival has just kept adding more and more decks of cabins and not much more in the way of public spaces. I thought the CONQUEST was excessively crowded and this turned me off to these ships for good, also the layout was disjointed and the pools very small. I'm always amazed the DREAM has two relatively small pools for 4000+ passengers, and the Spirit Class has three nice pools for half the amount of passengers.

Anyway to each his own, but hopefully you can see the Spirit Class has a lot going for it.

Ernie

I have to vote for Miracle. I have not been on the Dream but have been on one Conquest style ship and that was enough for me! WAY too many people with about the same amount of deck space as on the Spirit class ships. We stick to fantasy class or Spirit class ships. Also love the itenerary of the Miracle.

pat

Hmm.. Tough choice OP! I have sailed the Dream twice, both itineraries. I actually just did the Eastern route this past June & had a fantastic time. All the ports were great, even Nassau (we went to Blue Lagoon). And as you know, the ship is beautiful and has nearly all the bells & whistles Carnival has to offer.

But at the same time, I think Miracle's itinerary is more appealing. I'll be sailing that same route but on Carnival Freedom instead (which is a fairly new ship). I think you would have a great cruise either way.. You would just have to understand that Miracle is a smaller ship and has less amenities. And if those lacking amenities are important to making your vacation fun, then maybe stick to Dream.

I loved the Miracle and will be sailing on the Dream in November! I couldn't understand why everyone thought the decor was ugly... Hey - the ship was clean, everything was neat and in place, the food was great - I could care less what in particular was used for lighting, pictures, etc. But, that's just me.

I would do the Miracle in a minute especially with an itinerary like that. DH and I are doing the western route this time because we are really into mayan culture and the pyramids and it affords us that opportunity. Plus - sailing out of Port Canaveral allows us to drive from here in Virginia a bit easier than a more southern port. But, I digress....

What was it you specifically liked about the Dream that you think you won't find on the Miracle?

I loved the Miracle and will be sailing on the Dream in November! I couldn't understand why everyone thought the decor was ugly... Hey - the ship was clean, everything was neat and in place, the food was great - I could care less what in particular was used for lighting, pictures, etc. But, that's just me.

I would do the Miracle in a minute especially with an itinerary like that. DH and I are doing the western route this time because we are really into mayan culture and the pyramids and it affords us that opportunity. Plus - sailing out of Port Canaveral allows us to drive from here in Virginia a bit easier than a more southern port. But, I digress....

What was it you specifically liked about the Dream that you think you won't find on the Miracle?

The newer things such as the Punchliner Comedy Club. I don't 'think' that is on Miracle. The Serenity deck...but again, I know that was being added to more ships so I am not sure if it made to Miracle. The Dream's spa was really nice. But what will get me in the end is the itinerary for Miracle. I love that itinerary and really want to go back to Aruba.

The newer things such as the Punchliner Comedy Club. I don't 'think' that is on Miracle. The Serenity deck...but again, I know that was being added to more ships so I am not sure if it made to Miracle. The Dream's spa was really nice. But what will get me in the end is the itinerary for Miracle. I love that itinerary and really want to go back to Aruba.

No Serenity Deck on MIRACLE and as an adult with no kids, I have to admit it's appealing. None the less for a cruise in November (so long as it's not over Thanksgiving) there should not be a lot of kids anyway. Also on the Spirit Class there are three nice pool areas. A midship pool which is sort of the main pool, another midship pool that has a retractable glass dome over it, and a quiet more adult pool all the way aft. There is also the Carnival trademark slide. What you will not find on the Spirit Class is the Seaside Theater, outdoor gym and obstacle course. No big loss for me. I prefer the deck space used for more chairs.

The gym and spa on the Spirit Class are very nice. All the usual treatments, a jacuzzi available to all with sea views out over the bow, and free sauna and steam with windows overlooking the ocean (these are single sex, one in the men's and women's changing rooms).

Not sure about the comedy club, but I know there is a g-rated and r-rated comedy show on the Spirit Class. They use the secondary show room.

Ernie

Hi,

Planning a cruise for November. Looking at either Dream or Miracle. Dream's itinerary is Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

Earlier this year we were on the Dream for the Western route and while it was ok, the weather put a damper on a lot of the trip. I did like the ship though.

I really like the itinerary for the Miracle but DH is concerned that it wont have as much as the Dream has. He likes the newer ships.

I loved our cruise on the Dream and would gladly go again. I also loved our cruises on the Miracle. Strictly comparing the 2 ships for entertainment purposes the Dream wins hands down for me. However the itinerary the Miracle is doing makes the choice an easy one if I were choosing. We did that itinerary last fall and loved it!

I did not mind the decor on the Miracle at all. I had heard horror stories about the grapes and while it was a bit over the top I love wine so I loved the dining room :)

What would you rather drive? A new Lincoln or a 3 year Focus. ................................................. I thought so.

Actually a BMW.

Anyway CARNIVAL DREAM is nothing like a Lincoln, and CARNIVAL MIRACLE is nothing like a Focus.

Ernie

Hi,

Daisy, you have quite a decision on your hands...I have to sail that I sail more for itinerary than ship so I would take the Miracle cruise for that reason.

I have sailed the Dream 2 times and loved her, but I have rarely not loved any vacation...

My hubby is like your hubby, he thinks newer and bigger is better, but I have to tell ya, I would take my Fantasy cruise over the Oasis and they are night and day, bigger and newer isn't always better in my opinion...

Maybe for those who haven't sailed the Dream why don't you tell us what you loved about her so we can see if the Miracle will be comparable. I have not sailed the Miracle, like I said, but from the pictures I have seen the Dream wins as far as the decor...I have heard from almost everyone though that this class of ship feels much less crowded than the Dream does...

What would you rather drive? A new Lincoln or a 3 year Focus. ................................................. I thought so.

What kind of comparison is that???

The Dream is newer and larger but same brand and same type of cruise...It's more like an Explorer and the Expedition? And the answer for ME would be...

They are both ford, they are both SUVs, they have the same warranties and service schedules and they both drive on the road...but one is bigger and holds more...does that mean anything? It's about preference and that is all...same as the difference in these ships...

CARNIVAL DREAM

130,000 gt

3652 passengers (double occupancy)

Space Ratio = 35.6

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

88,500 gt

2124 passengers (double occupancy)

Space Ratio = 41.7

Pretty big difference in the space ratios so you can see which ship really crams the passengers in there. I do agree bigger is not always better ... with the exception of the OASIS and ALLURE OF THE SEAS. I've sailed them both and they were incredible and never felt crowded. Of course these ships really can't be compared to CARNIVAL DREAM as they are night and day. Both have a space ratio of 41.7 which funny enough is the exact same as CARNIVAL MIRACLE. That might help explain why they rarely feel crowded. Also they are extremely well designed from scratch, not like CARNIVAL DREAM which is essentially a 15 year old design that Carnival has tweaked and increased capacity over the years.

Ernie

Haven't been on the Dream' date=' but hear good things about the ship. We did the Miracle in '06 and will not go on it again.[/quote']

they have revamped that dining room since then. Yes, I agree that the dining room decor was a tad over the top with the purple things that were supposed to be grapes

with the buffet on the spirit class ships-- there are different buffets- not just one. (just like the conquest class) look and see what each area is serving before jumping in line.

CARNIVAL DREAM

130,000 gt

3652 passengers (double occupancy)

Space Ratio = 35.6

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

88,500 gt

2124 passengers (double occupancy)

Space Ratio = 41.7

Pretty big difference in the space ratios so you can see which ship really crams the passengers in there. I do agree bigger is not always better ... with the exception of the OASIS and ALLURE OF THE SEAS. I've sailed them both and they were incredible and never felt crowded. Of course these ships really can't be compared to CARNIVAL DREAM as they are night and day. Both have a space ratio of 41.7 which funny enough is the exact same as CARNIVAL MIRACLE. That might help explain why they rarely feel crowded. Also they are extremely well designed from scratch, not like CARNIVAL DREAM which is essentially a 15 year old design that Carnival has tweaked and increased capacity over the years.

Ernie

Ernie, that is so funny. I loved the ship but hated that everyone in our group that didn't make reservations for shows could never get in to see them...I like being able to go to the theatre or comedy club and sit down, maybe have to wait 15 minutes or so beforehand, but not have to think about it 2 months before I sail and make reservations...not that it was crowded everywhere, but on the parties on the promenade you could REALLY see how many people were on the ship...as much as I liked the things the ship had to offer, I like the personalization of the smaller ships...

Ernie, that is so funny. I loved the ship but hated that everyone in our group that didn't make reservations for shows could never get in to see them...I like being able to go to the theatre or comedy club and sit down, maybe have to wait 15 minutes or so beforehand, but not have to think about it 2 months before I sail and make reservations...not that it was crowded everywhere, but on the parties on the promenade you could REALLY see how many people were on the ship...as much as I liked the things the ship had to offer, I like the personalization of the smaller ships...

Yes I could see how that would be frustrating. I pre-booked everything (shows and specialty restaurants) so I had no issues. I thought it was cool how they scan your cruise card for everything. I'm a techie and a planner so ALLURE and OASIS were like candy to me. I enjoyed planning everything out beforehand and was amazed at how technically advanced those ships are. There is really nothing like them at sea.

I do agree though that smaller ships are very appealing. My last cruise was just last month on Holland America's ROTTERDAM. It only carries 1400 passengers and how nice was that! You actually could run into people multiple times that met during the cruise and nothing was ever crowded. I think MIRACLE is more along those lines. I've sailed on CARNIVAL PRIDE and CARNIVAL SPIRIT and really enjoyed them. I can't say the same for CARNIVAL CONQUEST which was probably the most crowded ship I've ever sailed. I never waited in so many lines. It became frustrating and I started to feel like the cruise was more of a chore than a vacation, so I have avoided this class of ship and the derivatives ever since.

Ernie

Wow to poster #2... I never heard anything bad about the Miracle. Now that being said it's the only ship I've ever sailed on so I have nothing to compare to, but I didn't find the decor ugly at all; but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I would think comparing these two ships would be like comparing apples to oranges.

More like a new overcrowded lincoln SUV(dream class) or 3 year old stretched limo(spirit class) the paasenger to space is too high on the spirit class(they cant pack em like sardines) for carnival ships so the spirit/vista class is only being made for the "premium" brands of carnival now:mad::(! The gym & the free access spa in the gym are great they do have the punchliner comedy club in the showroom below the main one, The 2 twin pools & aft pool have pleanty of lounging space, plus the itinery for the Miracle wins! My vote is Miracle! love the Spirit class!

Hi,

The Miracle is a great ship. We wanted the Miracle this Oct, but the dates didn't work out with my vacation days so we booked the Dream. We have sailed both ships before. The Dream had a dedicated comedy club and the Miracle doesn't, but, the Miracle has two of our favorite shows in the theater, the Ticket to Ride Beatles show and the cruise directors Silent Film Skit. I would definately have choosen the Miracle for this years cruise had the dates worked out, but they didn't for us. Have a great time on whichever ship you choose.

Haven't been on the Dream' date=' but hear good things about the ship. We did the Miracle in '06 and will not go on it again.

The decor is horrendous!! We could not stand to be in the dining room because it is so ugly and uncomfortable. Not just my opinion. I went with a group of about 30 and everyone felt the same way.

The cabins are the same, no matter which ship you are on. Very nice.

The Lido deck buffet was so "screwy" as far as design, that it was not easy to get around in there.

But.............I am sure there are others on here who will say they loved the Miracle. So, again, I can only give my own opinion.[/quote']

We were told how gaudy the Miracle was before our first cruise on her and how tacky the dinning room was with the grapes and all. I didn't think it was that bad. Was it out there, yeah, but I didn't think it was gaudy at all and it is by no means horrendous. Oh well, everyone has their own opinion, that's what makes this world such a fun place.

Sailed the Dream last January, and 15 minutes ago, booked the Miracle for this January. Mostly because of the itinerary.

The Dream was nice, but extremely crowded. On the sea days, I could not find a chair anywhere on an open deck. Including chairs in the shade on the lower decks. Just too many people. You had to go very early to get good seats for the comedy clubs, and shows. The serenity area was nice, but very crowded as well. We missed getting into Roatan (seas a bit too rough, and the Dream just too large. Other Carnival ships after us were able to dock at Roatan, but not us.) I would probably not book the Dream again.

I am looking forward to the Miracle, as I like the smaller ships.

We are sailing in Jan of 2012, and I understand we are the last cruise before they put her into dry-dock. I hope we still receive the same excellant service as we usually do on Carnival.

Archived