Newest Marina Reviews?

dwelsh

"Q3.C.1.c Role of artificial nails

Very low-quality evidence suggested that the magnitude in reduction of a norovirus surrogate (FCV) using a spectrum of soaps and hand disinfectants was significantly greater among volunteers with natural nails compared to those with artificial nails.[197] A subanalysis showed that longer fingernails were associated with consistently greater hand contamination. Further evidence summarizing the impact of artificial and long fingernails in healthcare settings can be found in the HICPAC Guidelines for Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings."

http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/norovirus/013_norovirus-evidence-q3.html

Personally, I always carry around my own little bottle of sanitizer to use as needed. Invariably after using the ship's sanitizer and being seated someone comes over to say hello and we shake hands. This necessitates another sanitizing. They're small and very handy to have with you.

Hand sanitizers don't scrub under the fingernails, so while they are helpful, I don't think it is enough.

Plus, I have noticed that it is often the ladies with long, artificial fingernails who don't wash their hands at all after using the restroom. Maybe they think it will interfere with their manicure?

On our HAL cruise last summer they insisted we use the sanitizer when re-boarding the ship after being ashore. Also for a couple of days at the beginning of the cruise they would not let us serve ourselves at the buffet. Not sure how prevalent that is for the industry.

And that advide to keep you hands away from your eyes/nose/mouth is excellent. My partner is evangelical about this -- he actually has (twice) emailed all sorts of people at WHO, CDC and other places asking why this advice is not more prevalent. (Got quite a few positive replies too!) He added it to Wikipedia only to have it removed by someone. He's convinced the big drug companies don't want it known since then there would be many fewer colds and, of course, a huge loss of income for them!! Not sure I buy that, but who knows!

On our HAL cruise last summer they insisted we use the sanitizer when re-boarding the ship after being ashore. Also for a couple of days at the beginning of the cruise they would not let us serve ourselves at the buffet. Not sure how prevalent that is for the industry.

And that advide to keep you hands away from your eyes/nose/mouth is excellent. My partner is evangelical about this -- he actually has (twice) emailed all sorts of people at WHO, CDC and other places asking why this advice is not more prevalent. (Got quite a few positive replies too!) He added it to Wikipedia only to have it removed by someone. He's convinced the big drug companies don't want it known since then there would be many fewer colds and, of course, a huge loss of income for them!! Not sure I buy that, but who knows!

It is only smart to use sanitizers and soap and water but as the saying goes you can lead a horse towater but you can't make him drink.

Please stick to the original thread, which WAS reviews about the Marina. Somewhere along the line, the hand sanitizer topic took over :)

I like conversations that ebb & flow and evolve. I've never been able to understand the rigidity that people think messages boards should follow. The only time it bothers me is when it gets to almost be a private conversation between 2 posters that should probably be in email.

But that's just me, other's opinions obviously vary. I do know in real life at a cocktail party etc conversations aren't required to stick to the opening subject. Actually people would think you were rather strange if you demanded we stay on the topic first introduced. :eek:

Meanwhile how about those reviews?

When I was a kid I used to read a column by Sydney Harris called "Things I Learned from Looking Up Other Things” which pretty much summarized my teaching career. I learn far more when the boards "ebb and flow" (thanks ORV) than when we stay on message. (I once veered into talking about STDs during the Civil War--17 year olds loved it! )

I do know in real life at a cocktail party etc conversations aren't required to stick to the opening subject. Actually people would think you were rather strange if you demanded we stay on the topic first introduced.

The problem arises, in my opinion, when people (me!) click on a thread because the subject is of interest to them. Sometimes it's hard to even find info on the original topic. But I'm a big fan of cocktail parties:-)

Maybe if everyone had a martini while posting here it wouldn't seem so out of place for the conversation to wander. However, as Bocatraveler09 points out we come here for information and click on to a thread to get that info, not ramblings on whatever comes up in the course of a cocktail party conversation. jmo.

Maybe if everyone had a martini while posting here it wouldn't seem so out of place for the conversation to wander. However, as Bocatraveler09 points out we come here for information and click on to a thread to get that info, not ramblings on whatever comes up in the course of a cocktail party conversation. jmo.

Hey, Hey, Hey

There will be no absolutely no disrespect towards Cocktail Parties allowed

I like the idea of having cocktails with our CC friends once in a while online. It would make for interesting conversation. And no worries about having to drive home afterwards!!!:D

Please stick to the original thread, which WAS reviews about the Marina. Somewhere along the line, the hand sanitizer topic took over :)

I'd love tocomment on the Marina but as yet have no personal knowledge of the ship, just the Regatta and many HAL ships. We have good friends that sailed today on Marina London-to-Rome and I will get thier impressions as they have been on all the R ships and converted me to Oceania. Then i'll make my own dicision in Nov.

Archived