Pinnacle Grill versus MDR

Wayfairers

The Pinnacle Grill offers a fine dining experience---tablecloths, good china, impeccable service, quiet atmosphere etc. People dress up to go the the Pinnacle and spend a long time over dinner savouring the experience.

The Outback is a noisy chow house. That is not to say I don't enjoy Outback, because I do very much. However I do not dress to go there and the wait staff can be rather rough around the edges. In the Pinnacle you will never hear "Are youse guys ready to order?" Nobody snatches your plate the minute you finish---they wait until everyone at the table has finished a course.

I've never been to Outback. Look what I'm missing:D;).

The Pinnacle Grill offers a fine dining experience---tablecloths, good china, impeccable service, quiet atmosphere etc. People dress up to go the the Pinnacle and spend a long time over dinner savouring the experience.

The Outback is a noisy chow house. That is not to say I don't enjoy Outback, because I do very much. However I do not dress to go there and the wait staff can be rather rough around the edges. In the Pinnacle you will never hear "Are youse guys ready to order?" Nobody snatches your plate the minute you finish---they wait until everyone at the table has finished a course.

Like the Lido? :rolleyes:

FYI....I was not referring to the Pinnacle Grill as a Four Star Michelin rated restaurant. I was referring to it as a Four Star rated restauarant by most restaurant critics throughout the world. There are even cruise critic reviews that refer to the Pinnacle Grill as a four star restaurant.

99.5 percent of the world's population has never dined in a Michelin rated restaurant, let alone a 3 star rated Michelin restaurant, as Le Cirque once was.

Why in all that is good in the world would anyone think that an average passenger on Holland America or any other upscale cruise line would use Michelin as a reference? A very small part of the world population even knows that there are Michelin star ratings for restaurants.

Some of the statements made by OPs are somewhat offensive for the average person in the world to take. They may even be considered racist by many people of color.

This especially true for those who are complaining about the small price increase for enjoying the Pinnacle Grill experience.

It sounds like many of the OP's should save thier $25.00 and eat at the Lido Buffet where they would be most comfortable.....hehe

soccer

I am the OP - sorry if I have offended anyone. I admit I prefer to eat at high end restaurants and I understand that I am lucky I have had that opportunity in my life. Not everyone has the opportunity or truthfully, even the desire.

My goal with the original question was to understand how PG compares to the MDR in food choices, food preparation, presentation and service level. I have said that I understand that individual opinions on these things vary based upon experience and personal preferences. Thinking that may be what offended you???

Didn't think I have said anything that could be racist though... help me understand what is the racist remark?

and saw nothing racist in the OP's question.Some people feel comfortable in upscale reataurants and others don't. I think it is based on experience and finances as well as cultural education. There is no need to eat in the Pinnacle or even the dining room if someone likes the cafeteria atmosphere of the Lido. We usually go to the Chef's special dinner on each cruise with the wine included but that's our choice.

My goal with the original question was to understand how PG compares to the MDR in food choices, food preparation, presentation and service level. I have said that I understand that individual opinions on these things vary based upon experience and personal preferences.

I thought you were looking for comparisons between the PG and upscale steakhouse chains.

As for the PG vs. the MDR, it's hard to say. Our two dinners at the MDR were very good IMO since one night was prime rib (very tender, excellent flavor, though served medium well instead of my requested medium rare) and the other was surf & turf with lobster tails much better than the chewy $75 lobster we split at the Palm the night before the cruise. Our 4 nights on the repo cruise were split: those two MDR nights and two nights at the PG and I can't really say I enjoyed one venue better than the other. Both were excellent, yet far from perfect. The ambience in both was very nice. That said, I don't believe the extra $20 for the PG was wasted.

For our November cruise of 7 nights, we've already limited our MDR dining to three nights since we plan on the PG for the first and last nights, the Le Cirque dinner one night, and a dinner in Puerto Vallarta when we overnight there. And we still want to try Canaletto, which would eat into one of our three remaining MDR nights. Honestly, I'd be happier without having to choose one venue over the other, especially when the MDR menu changes daily and you never know what you might be missing.

We like the quieter atmosphere of the specialty venues better, and, since they're preparing far fewer dishes, the food is often better.

Service is usually, but not always, better too. (We've suffered through really slow nights in the Pinnacle.)

It's not Paris or Rome, but it's better than we usually experience, and it makes a great date night.

and a dinner in Puerto Vallarta when we overnight there. ....

Excellent port for dining. Lucky you to be there for dinner as well. We enjoyed La Palapa, if you have not yet made your final choice. On the beach, open air, lovely choices, stylish setting and up to "western" hygiene standards.

I am the OP - sorry if I have offended anyone. I admit I prefer to eat at high end restaurants and I understand that I am lucky I have had that opportunity in my life. Not everyone has the opportunity or truthfully, even the desire.

My goal with the original question was to understand how PG compares to the MDR in food choices, food preparation, presentation and service level. I have said that I understand that individual opinions on these things vary based upon experience and personal preferences. Thinking that may be what offended you???

Didn't think I have said anything that could be racist though... help me understand what is the racist remark?

OP'S = posters, not original posters in my referrences

I do not think I was referring to your question....I was referring to those who referred to the Michelin star rating system in response to my post that followed your and thier original postings. The simple fact of the matter is that the Michelin star rating system does not apply to 99.5 percent of the restaurants in the world.

I stated that I believe my Pinnacle Grill experiences on the ms Rotterdam were that of dining at a Four Star restaurant, and I still maintain the statement.

A Four Star rated restauant is a very good restauant in all aspects to most people. This is why all small, medium and large newspapers and television restaurant critics use a four star system. Pick up any newspaper dated today and read the restaurant reviews, they are from one to four stars in most every case.

Responders to my post chose to bring up the Michelin ratings system when writing about the Pinnacle Grill. I maintain my ground and my earlier statements, but I do not think they are meant for you.

soccer

OP'S = posters, not original posters in my referrences

soccer

Just wondering: if OP = posters, what does the 'O' refer to?? OP has always meant Original Poster, the poster who began a thread or topic, on any site I've been on or on any list of internet abbreviations I've ever seen. I've never seen it refer to every poster's first post. :confused:

I find the MDR on HAL ships to be fairly good ... certainly far better than most restaurants on land if only due to the decor and the superior service. The food can sometimes be hit-and-miss: I've had some fabulous meals in the MDR, and I've had some meals that leave something to be desired. Being mass-produced food, it's really quite incredible that they manage to do as well as they do in the food department.

As for the Pinnacle Grill: I like to think of it as a high-quality steak house with a limited menu. Sometimes the service is a bit lacking in warmth -- if its the Europeans who are serving you, they sometimes act like they found you under a rock and want to get you back there as quickly as they can -- and it can sometimes be s l o w -- as in glacially slow. But the quality of the food is usually superior to the MDR by an order of magnitude or better. I've likened the Pinnacle Grill to Ruth Chris steakhouse, and while I'm sure that this isn't always the case, it's close to being true most of the time ... at least, it has been for me. The atmosphere is superb and, in my opinion, the food is comparable.

I find it impossible to compare the PG or the MDR with Outback Steakhouse. In an Outback Steakhouse you find the following: Bare wood table top, thick ceramic plates, simple minimal utensils (fat knife, 2 forks) provided in a rolled up napkin. Liquid containers are thick glass or plastic cups and mugs. Menus stay on the table, as do the condiments. Seating is in the form of bare wood chairs or benches / booths. Lighting is dim, decor is Australian theme with boomerangs and other nick-nacks, posters, etc. on the walls. Floors are bare wood. There's usually a TV nearby, and a noisy bar with a smoking area is in the middle of the restaurant. I like the Outback. Their food is good and I enjoy the environment for a relaxed, very casual evening. The steaks are usually Choice, but you can sometimes find Prime beef. I wish they'd allow one to get a half-order of the bloomn' onion instead of only the full-order.

By contrast, in the Main Dining Room and Pinnacle Grills aboard any Dam Ship you will find the following: Formal table cloths, Rosenthal China, full lay-out of real silverware (left/right/top). Stemware used for containing most liquids (other than coffee and hot tea and the occasional drink, iced tea, or softdrink). All common condiment dishes (butter, cream and sugar) are silverware, as are the small hot tea pots that they'll bring to each person who wishes hot tea at or after dinner. The tables have a centerpiece of flowers and, often, a candle. Menus do not stay on table. Seating is in the form of padded dining room chairs or, in some configurations, padded benches mounted on walls (with chairs opposite). Lighting is variable, but often bright, decor is upscale elegant with rich tapestries, wall paper, and paintings on the walls, large panoramic outdoor views, carpeting, silver and brass light fixtures. Floors are carpeted. No TVs nearby and no noisy bar or smoking area. In the MDRs you'll find Choice steaks, but in the Pinnacle Grill you'll find aged Prime beef. The Filets are tender, the New York Prime Strips are superb, but my favorite is the Ribeye ... and if I'm really hungry, the Porterhouse. But ... then ... it takes a fork-lift to get me up and out of there!

I have to agree with RevNeal.

We just booked 9 of the 12 nights at the PG on our upcoming Baltic cruise on the Eurodam.

We have only had GREAT experiences at the PG.

I usually will book 1 or 2 evenings at the Pinnacle Grill and a lunch or two as well, but no more than this. I generally like what the MDR has to offer, and so will eat there most evenings.

I find the MDR on HAL ships to be fairly good ... certainly far better than most restaurants on land if only due to the decor and the superior service. The food can sometimes be hit-and-miss: I've had some fabulous meals in the MDR, and I've had some meals that leave something to be desired. Being mass-produced food, it's really quite incredible that they manage to do as well as they do in the food department.

As for the Pinnacle Grill: I like to think of it as a high-quality steak house with a limited menu. Sometimes the service is a bit lacking in warmth -- if its the Europeans who are serving you, they sometimes act like they found you under a rock and want to get you back there as quickly as they can -- and it can sometimes be s l o w -- as in glacially slow. But the quality of the food is usually superior to the MDR by an order of magnitude or better. I've likened the Pinnacle Grill to Ruth Chris steakhouse, and while I'm sure that this isn't always the case, it's close to being true most of the time ... at least, it has been for me. The atmosphere is superb and, in my opinion, the food is comparable.

I find it impossible to compare the PG or the MDR with Outback Steakhouse. In an Outback Steakhouse you find the following: Bare wood table top, thick ceramic plates, simple minimal utensils (fat knife, 2 forks) provided in a rolled up napkin. Liquid containers are thick glass or plastic cups and mugs. Menus stay on the table, as do the condiments. Seating is in the form of bare wood chairs or benches / booths. Lighting is dim, decor is Australian theme with boomerangs and other nick-nacks, posters, etc. on the walls. Floors are bare wood. There's usually a TV nearby, and a noisy bar with a smoking area is in the middle of the restaurant. I like the Outback. Their food is good and I enjoy the environment for a relaxed, very casual evening. The steaks are usually Choice, but you can sometimes find Prime beef. I wish they'd allow one to get a half-order of the bloomn' onion instead of only the full-order.

By contrast, in the Main Dining Room and Pinnacle Grills aboard any Dam Ship you will find the following: Formal table cloths, Rosenthal China, full lay-out of real silverware (left/right/top). Stemware used for containing most liquids (other than coffee and hot tea and the occasional drink, iced tea, or softdrink). All common condiment dishes (butter, cream and sugar) are silverware, as are the small hot tea pots that they'll bring to each person who wishes hot tea at or after dinner. The tables have a centerpiece of flowers and, often, a candle. Menus do not stay on table. Seating is in the form of padded dining room chairs or, in some configurations, padded benches mounted on walls (with chairs opposite). Lighting is variable, but often bright, decor is upscale elegant with rich tapestries, wall paper, and paintings on the walls, large panoramic outdoor views, carpeting, silver and brass light fixtures. Floors are carpeted. No TVs nearby and no noisy bar or smoking area. In the MDRs you'll find Choice steaks, but in the Pinnacle Grill you'll find aged Prime beef. The Filets are tender, the New York Prime Strips are superb, but my favorite is the Ribeye ... and if I'm really hungry, the Porterhouse. But ... then ... it takes a fork-lift to get me up and out of there!

Thanks for the review of the Pinnicle Grill Reverend. I have had similiar experiences and enjoyed dining at the Pinnacle Grill.

It sures sounds like the Pinnacle Grill could be considered a four star restaurant....hehe

soccer

Just wondering: if OP = posters, what does the 'O' refer to?? OP has always meant Original Poster, the poster who began a thread or topic, on any site I've been on or on any list of internet abbreviations I've ever seen. I've never seen it refer to every poster's first post. :confused:

I guess I will mention each poster by thier "nic" or handle in the future to avoid any confusion. I hope they do not get to offended or their feelings hurt when I post a reply to their comments that they do not agree with.

soccer

Thanks for the review of the Pinnicle Grill Reverend. I have had similiar experiences and enjoyed dining at the Pinnacle Grill.

It sures sounds like the Pinnacle Grill could be considered a four star restaurant....hehe

soccer

4 out of 4 stars implies perfection or near perfection. Do you really think the PG would get 4 stars in the New York Times? There are only six 4-star restaurants in the entire city. I'm guessing the PG would warrant two stars there, if that. Most likely, a restaurant serving food of the PG's caliber and with the PG's limited menu would shut down for lack of business within a month of opening in NYC, unless one could truly get the entire meal for $25.

4 out of 4 stars implies perfection or near perfection. Do you really think the PG would get 4 stars in the New York Times? There are only six 4-star restaurants in the entire city. I'm guessing the PG would warrant two stars there, if that. Most likely, a restaurant serving food of the PG's caliber and with the PG's limited menu would shut down for lack of business within a month of opening in NYC, unless one could truly get the entire meal for $25.

What are the prices charged in those 'four' of the 4 star restaurants you mention?

This whole 'rating' thing needs to be kept in perspective.

We dined last August in one of the finest restaurants in NYC and dinner for the four of us cost more than some cabins on some seven day cruises :eek: . To be fair, we did order some pretty wonderful wines. :D

I don't think the price comparison should be lost in this conversation. How many folks do you think are willing to pay those fancy prices in order for HAL to provide that four star - 4 restaruants in the entire city - experience? Not many is the answser. I seriously doubt there are that many people who even want that sort of restaurant on a ship. Many in our society just don't eat that way and would consider it 'more than they wanted' let alone what they want to pay for. We enjoy it but only on a very occassional basis. We would not dine in a Michelin level restaurant on every cruise if it were offered. We might go every other cruise.... depending upon how long we were aboard. ;)

JMO.....

I wouldn't apply a star-scale rating system to either the MDR or the PG if only because, as I've been told, my tastes are somewhat plebeian (I don't live in NYC, after all, but in "flyover country"). All I know is that I usually really enjoy my dinners there, the food is usually very good and the atmosphere very pleasant. That's enough for me.

I had no issues with the Pinnacle Grill after enjoying four dinners there. I guess that is how I come to referring it as a four star restaurant.

It is also funny how some people quote the New York Times when it is convienent....hehe

Enjoy your four star restaurants in New York. I will stick with the Pinnacle Grill and not complain about the $25.00 reservation charge for dinner and enjoy the experience.

soccer

I was on the 21 july Baltic cruise with the ROTTERDAM and i had one dinner in the Pinnacle resto. IMO it is NOT worth the extra money. As dessert i had the tricolore "creme brulee". The HAL people do NOT know how to make a creme brulee (it is my favourite dessert)! I left from each color half the cream uneaten on my plate (the sugar on the creme was cold and not enough caramelised ).

My advice : stay in the MDR , it's as good as in the Pinnacle!

On a Costa ship i had the same experience, the premium resto is not any better as the MDR.

JP

I don't mind that they have a for-fee alternative restaurant, so long as it doesn't get like NCL where you HAVE to pay for your food if you want any kind of quality! On HAL, the dining room is still lovely and serves a nice variety over the course of a cruise. But, the PG is a wonderful steakhouse with a nice ambiance where I'm more than willing to spend my money at least once during a cruise. I've never been disappointed with either the food or service there. JMHO. :)

We love the MDR but always go to the Pinnacle and really enjoy it. Perhaps we have been lucky, not sure, but our meals have always been memorable. It's a different ambience and we really enjoy it.

Lunch there can be a very nice change of pace.:)

I am looking forward to trying PG on my next cruise. I am now expecting a more intimate dining experience with food probably a notch above what is served in the MDR, above Outback but below fine dining restaurants. Thanks!

Go with that expectation/attitude, and you should have a wonderful evening! Bon Appetit & Voyage!

A couple more questions..

Do you have the option of eating at larger tables like ATD where you tell them the table size you want and you are seated with whoever has an opening or do you reserve a table for just your group?

Can you walk in without a reservation?

They have larger tables, and they can move smaller tables together. The atmosphere is more like a private club and it is a small venue. You can try to get in without a reservation, but on many cruises, it books up quickly.

Most tables will have one or two couples, but they can seat a larger group. I went with my cooking class to sample what we cooked one day, and I think we had a table for 12.

You would pay much more than $25 a person at home for what you get in the Pinnacle. I found the the food is very good, and that the service is always cordial, but sometimes a little slow. It varies from ship to ship, and I think HAL needs to work on better consistency. However, it's a nice change if you are on a long cruise.

The menu is the same every night, so check it when you are onboard, and see if anything strikes your fancy. If it does, make a reservation soon afterward to get the best choice of times and night.

Archived