Princess Alaska Train seats

How are the seating arrangments on the Princess cars on the train from Denali to Whittier? Met with some people this am to see thier pics and they went on Holland all seats facing front like a bus. I think I have read that Princess has a table in-between people and some people ride backwards. What happens if that bothers people? Can you request seats facing forward?

thanks

There are two seats on each side of a table. One couple faces forward and the other backwards.

We faced backwards on our trip and it did not bother us at all. We loved our table mates. You could always make a deal and see if they would switch half way through.

Also you can get up and walk around, go to the dining car...we loved the train ride.

There are two seats on each side of a table. One couple faces forward and the other backwards.

We faced backwards on our trip and it did not bother us at all. We loved our table mates. You could always make a deal and see if they would switch half way through.

Also you can get up and walk around, go to the dining car...we loved the train ride.

Lisa H. When you got up to walk around did you take your hand carry stuff with you?(valuables,meds,etc) How many train cars would you say were hooked together?How about the size of your carry on? Was it small,did it fit under the seat? Were you on the Denali Express train?

Thanks.

Some seats vary as well (have equipment or something underneath). We were at the back of the train, underseat space was very limited but there was a shelf behind us so it worked out. The seats up against the bar had a similar issue I heard with no shelf.

As far as leaving your stuff, we became instant friends with our tablemates (had them on all legs of the trip) so we were more than comfortable leaving behind a designated table watcher if the others want to roam (they are assigned seats).

The amount of cars attached will change based on demand, but all of the cars with the Princess Livery appeared to be similar. The only difference was every few cars had a little gift/sundry/snack shop if I recall.

Food on the trains was decent too. I recommend the reindeer chili!

We took a 12 day Princess Cruisetour. The sights of Alaska, Fairbanks, Denali, Mt Mckinley ( no we did not see the mountain because of mist and fog) were magnificent. We did not like the train setup. The Denali express was at full capacity to begin with and you are assigned a table. We were very lucky as we sat with a couple of ladies from Florida and we had a great time. We switched riding forward and backward. If you are assigned a table and you are not compatable with the other couple it can be a long ride. The food on the train is excellent but as all things in Alaska it was a bit expensive. The Princess lodges are 1st class. If Princess is your choice you will not regret it. It is one spectacular trip !

Going up to Denali we had the table setup but on the 10 hour trip back down, they added a few more cars and we got one with seats like on the nice buses. It was also assigned seating. Everyone walks around and talks. We had great tablemates and people across from us the first day and were together the entire trip. We still are good friends and get together.

It's fun, we started drinking bloody mary's around 8 in the morning.

When we were on the trains it was seats facing each other, with table in the middle. But I honestly dont remember which was we faced....don't think it really mattered in their cars, due to dome tops. and we moved around so much that no one really sat in their seats much of the time.

We even did a group photo of everyone in our car together (that took some work!)

I dont think forward or rear facing will impact your trip at all! you will have plenty of opportunity to move around the train.

We booked with Princess for Anchorage to Denali, but I did independent on Alaska RR from Anchorage to Whittier. I think it's all the same train, but was wondering if someone had been on Alaska RR cars on the Anchorage to Whittier leg. Are the same set up as the Princess cars?

We booked with Princess for Anchorage to Denali, but I did independent on Alaska RR from Anchorage to Whittier. I think it's all the same train, but was wondering if someone had been on Alaska RR cars on the Anchorage to Whittier leg. Are the same set up as the Princess cars?

I guess I wasn't clear. It depends on the demand. We had a huge number of people going from Denali to Whittier so they added more cars. We just happened to be assigned a car with the bus style seating but all the others were the ones with the tables so some faced forward while other faced the back. Chances are you will get the tables.

We had the AA RR car on our last leg. Same layout as Princess's cars but with no restaurant on the one we were on...

I forget what the seating was downstairs.

Lisa H. When you got up to walk around did you take your hand carry stuff with you?(valuables,meds,etc) How many train cars would you say were hooked together?How about the size of your carry on? Was it small,did it fit under the seat? Were you on the Denali Express train?

Thanks.

No, we left our hand carry stuff under our seats with no problems. Honestly I don't rememer how many train cars were hooked together. The carry on was a duffel but not a real long one. We had plenty of room for it.

We were on Princess train from Denali to Whittier...not sure what it was called.

The Princess cars are similar. Princess also uses standard Alaska Railroad touring cars on some legs or for overflow, these have the domed windows but may have different seating styles and may not have dining in every car.

Do all Princess cars have the Domed upstairs seating or do they vary? Is seating upstairs and dining car downstairs, etc.

Just got off the phone with Princess.....

They said train seats nor tables are NOT assigned. They only assign what train car you are in.

Is this correct for those of you that have just done this 2011? This would be the Denali Express from Denali to Whittier to catch the ship.

Thanks.

Archived