Weather in early May

ActiveTraveler

Is the first half of May a good time to be on the west coast? I know San Diego is great, but what about the ports north of Los Angeles? I am trying to decide if I want to book a Los Angeles round trip cruise or the northbound one to Vancouver and weather is going to factor into my decision.

Once you get north of San Francisco you will notice quite a change in the weather and certainly is not poolside weather. May in Vancouver can be a great month or a poor month...it extremely variable but early to mid month it is very unlikely that temps would be above the mid-60's..

Weather Channel Web site says average high and low for May (all of May) are 61 and 46. For San Francisco, 65 and 51. We took a cruise from Vancouver to Whittier, Alaska and had great, comfortable, not cool temps almost the entire trip, but were told it was unusually good that year. You don't say where the L.A. roundtrip cruise goes. Ensenada??

Weather is so unpredictable. It's August and we are still having lows in the mid to high 40's and our highs are in the 60's and 70's. Crazy!

September and October tend to be warmer.

You are so lucky! Ohio is like a sauna right now - 80s and 90s week after week.

The reason I am thinking about May is I want to avoid the hundreds of kids that travel in the summer. I can imagine this itinerary being attractive to families.

If you want to avoid crowds and kids, consider going in September, weather is usually nicer, and you could do a southbound repo. Also if you do Alaska in September, there are lots of bargains in the souvenir shops!

:D

If you want to avoid crowds and kids, consider going in September, weather is usually nicer, and you could do a southbound repo. Also if you do Alaska in September, there are lots of bargains in the souvenir shops!

I don't like that one because it has sea days when the northbound one stops at Seattle and Santa Barbara. Those cities are two reasons I want to take that northbound cruise. Its sea day is between San Francisco and Astoria, not instead of a city I love. So there really is no choice for the timing of that specific cruise.

Archived