Wonder in dry dock

IZZYDAD

Does anybody know if its true, the Wonder will be in dry dock in sept 2011?

I hope so. We were on the Wonder in late June and the ship really needed some attention. We will be back aboard in December. Can't wait to see the improvements.

Well I just looked at the DCL website. I am on the Wonder 8/30 - 9/6. This is the last Alaskan cruise of the season. The ship gets repositioned to LA on 9/20

That's a two week gap in Vancouver... So the rumor might be true...

When we sailed to Alaska in May, we wondered why the ship wasn't being cleaned on a daily basis. We were so used to seeing someone washing the deck, chipping off cracked paint and putting a new coat on. The ship was really in need of some refurbishment. I am happy to hear the confirmation.

Sorry, don't know. I thought I read that she was going to dry dock in Victoria but that doesn't make sense. I assume she'll stay in Vancouver.

Victoria is a couple of hours from Vancouver. It is diagonally across Puget Sound from Seattle...

We were on Wonder for the second cruise after her last drydock in '09, the one where the new Outlook lounge was added above the Cove Cafe. Even with that extensive work, she was only out of service for two weeks. The ship looked great, with lots of fresh paint, carpeting, flat-screen TVs, and other small touches.

As for where she'll be drydocked this time, I thought I had read somewhere that it would be in Seattle. Anybody familiar with shipyards large enough to handle Wonder in Vancouver, Victoria and/or Seattle ?

Victoria is a couple of hours from Vancouver. It is diagonally across Puget Sound from Seattle...

I meant that it didn't make sense because it seems like it would be easier to do work on the ship in Vancouver (or Seattle) than Victoria. In Victoria, you need to get all of the materials and supplies out to the island. If she were docked off of the mainland, it would be a lot easier. Just my thoughts.

I meant that it didn't make sense because it seems like it would be easier to do work on the ship in Vancouver (or Seattle) than Victoria. In Victoria, you need to get all of the materials and supplies out to the island. If she were docked off of the mainland, it would be a lot easier. Just my thoughts.

Victoria has a substantial ship yard next to the Canadian Navy Base there. I've seen cruise ships hauled out several times. Since the vast majority of the materials needed are shipped via container to whatever facility is used, Victoria presents no special problem in that regard. Curiously DCL had exclusively used a yard in Norfolk VA for their drydock. Norfolk Shiprepair was subsequently purchased by BAE and well I guess the price went up since DCL moved east coast work to Freeport. They of course needed to find a west coast facility now that WONDER has moved "for good" so I guess when it came down to dollars and quality Canada won this time around.

Victoria has a substantial ship yard next to the Canadian Navy Base there. I've seen cruise ships hauled out several times. Since the vast majority of the materials needed are shipped via container to whatever facility is used, Victoria presents no special problem in that regard. Curiously DCL had exclusively used a yard in Norfolk VA for their drydock. Norfolk Shiprepair was subsequently purchased by BAE and well I guess the price went up since DCL moved east coast work to Freeport. They of course needed to find a west coast facility now that WONDER has moved "for good" so I guess when it came down to dollars and quality Canada won this time around.

The last drydocking at Freeport was a total mess up........work poorly done and poorly supervised, poor workmanship.

There were many complaints from the passingers for a few cruises after she got out.

I would love to see DCL use US shipyards.:D....but I would be surprized if they go back to Freeport.:eek:

AKK

Oh, I didn't realize that. I had previously read that she would be in Victoria so I'm assuming what I read was correct.

Actually Canada has a relatively small and specailized Navy' date=' but also very well trained and effective!

AKK[/quote']

They also use the CF-18 jet. I was at an air show and I noticed that the jet had a tail hook. I asked the pilot what the hook was for and he told me "carrier landings". I asked him "Don't you need a carrier for those?" He was displeased.

Archived