Did anyone else get a SCAM email re: Final Payment on Princess?

goodie2shoes

This morning I received an email telling me about a new Princess Policy on final payment from what appears to be an on-line TA that I have never even heard of. There does not appear to be anything dangerous to my computer involved, as there is no link anywhere to click on to contact them and give them updated credit card info (that's what they are asking for). There are two phone numbers, though, that they want you to call to give them the info. My computer identified it as a SCAM, and I agree. I just can't figure exactly how they think it is going to work. I know that I will not call either of the phone numbers (one is an 800 number and the other is area code 561) to find out what would happen, but I'm afraid someone else might and not like the result.

It's good that you are smart enough to pay attention to the sender and not take their bait. I work at a bank and we see all kinds of scams that originate like this and people will either click links or call the phone numbers and give them their credit card numbers. Hopefully if this scam is going around nobody falls for it.

I would call Princess and tell them about it - they can't do anything but most businesses want to know if this type of thing is going on if it affects them or their customers. Princess's security department would probably be interested. Ask who you should forward the email to.

A little scary, knowing someone out there knows your cruising habits. Nothing on the internet is secure, no matter what 'little lock' appears at the bottom of your screen. Hackers and scammers can get through. Kudos to the OP for not responding and for alerting us all. Unfortunately there will be others who are not as lucky and will call the number. Appreciate the heads up!

No, I haven't received but I will be watching...I was recently scammed by an email allegedly from the Canadian Income Tax people and I am now very careful. For Canadian members there is also one going around from Canada Post re an undelivered parcel.:eek:

I am constantly amazed at the amount of millions I have won in lotteries and draws that I have never heard of let alone entered. I tend to think that everything is scam.

The most recent one came from http://www.123.greeting.com which is a free e-card company They said I had won an Aldi car and I should etc. I contacted 123.greetings and they said.

No it is not a scam but it is nothing to do with our company (obviously they had sold an address list) However they did say we advise you to READ THE SMALL PRINT.

which I did

It appears they want your mobile number and then they keep sending you information and this costs an extortionate amount each second and you are billed for it.

I never use my mobile except for emergencies so I put this company on my blocked message list as they tried 4 more times.

For Canadian members there is also one going around from Canada Post re an undelivered parcel.:eek:

Here in the USA, I've gotten the same type supposedly from UPS, USPS, and DHL delivery services saying that a package is waiting for me. Of course they have a link you need to click on to find out. I recognized them a scams, but the dilemma was that I was actually waiting for something to be delivered by UPS and thought it might be a tracking message. But I decided to err on the safe side and delete it.

Here in the USA, I've gotten the same type supposedly from UPS, USPS, and DHL delivery services saying that a package is waiting for me. Of course they have a link you need to click on to find out. I recognized them a scams, but the dilemma was that I was actually waiting for something to be delivered by UPS and thought it might be a tracking message. But I decided to err on the safe side and delete it.

I know that Earthlink has identified many "delivery info requested" type of emails sent to me as containing a virus. So anytime I see something from supposedly a delivery service (especially as I usually don't order things online, and would certainly know if I had), I just delete it. If you order through Amazon, you can track packages through them, anyway.

And it's amazing that the phishing schemes that target banks will send out emails to any address their computer can generate (so it helps to add numbers to your email address such as first word numbers last word to make it harder on them). I've received some for banks I've never even heard of. And when I've read the emails for laughs, I'll usually find at least one typo (plus if you move your mouse over the link, you'll find that you wouldn't go to the bank's real site anyway).

A little scary, knowing someone out there knows your cruising habits. Nothing on the internet is secure, no matter what 'little lock' appears at the bottom of your screen. Hackers and scammers can get through. Kudos to the OP for not responding and for alerting us all. Unfortunately there will be others who are not as lucky and will call the number. Appreciate the heads up!

It's actually quite easy to find out such details. Just come to a site like this one. You'll notice my signature has info about our past cruises & next sailing. If you allow emails from others or post your email address (I don't), that gives the criminal the tools needed to send a scam email. From a online security stand point, having a secondary 'public' email address to post in online discussions vs. your primary that only goes to family/friends is prudent.

Thanks for providing the heads up on receiving the scam.

Joel

The scammers don't even have to be that sophisticated. Princess is a large cruise line. All the scammers need to do is send this type of message to all of the emails addresses they have and guaranteed that some of those people may be cruising with Princess at the time and some of them will respond.

I received an email the other day from the online travel agency that I have booked with this year and in the past. It says that they would be charging my card three days early just to be sure that my card was valid. The memo said that Princess would automatically cancel my reservation if my charge did not go thru on the day the payment was due. The travel agency said that by running the charge three days early, there was enough time to make the payment if for some reason the charge did not go thru. When I spoke on the phone to the agent that I always work with, she confirmed the policy change by her agency. Perhaps this is the email you received from the online agency. It is a legitimate email, but how you got it is a mystery. The agency begins with an "S". I hope that this is the problem and not another scam that is after cruisers. Thanks for the alert.

Then, there is always the multitude of folks on Princess's Facebook page telling the world where they will be-- and when.

Best not to hold any further personal info on such sites, I either put a false address if I must save one, or no address at all. (Postal, not email!!)

The way I read it that was a phone # for the so-called travel agency, not Princess cruises.

I get scam mail daily, which fortunately mostly goes into spam. This one I never got, and perhaps it's because I refuse to do Facebook.

Princess would never send an e-mail asking you to provide that type of information to them by return e-mail. If you booked through a TA you shouldn't have any problems. The only other place I would provide that info to Princess is directly on myprincess on the Princess website or to the Princess toll-free number in California.

Archived