e-readers and cruising...

Faith77

So I'm seriously thinking about getting a Kindle 3G--the price just went down to $139 from $189. For the Kindle readers out there--how useable is the 3G on the ocean? Usually I stay away from the net and email when cruising but I would like to do some simple things online (like reading newspapers) if this didn't cost an arm and leg.

My past two cruises were on HAL and with their great libraries and the books I took along on my cruises I was fine. But since prices of ereaders are coming down and choices of ebooks are expanding I'm thinking now is the time to buy one. Would love to hear about your experiences with your ereaders. Faith

So I'm seriously thinking about getting a Kindle 3G--the price just went down to $139 from $189. For the Kindle readers out there--how useable is the 3G on the ocean? Usually I stay away from the net and email when cruising but I would like to do some simple things online (like reading newspapers) if this didn't cost an arm and leg.

My past two cruises were on HAL and with their great libraries and the books I took along on my cruises I was fine. But since prices of ereaders are coming down and choices of ebooks are expanding I'm thinking now is the time to buy one. Would love to hear about your experiences with your ereaders. Faith

A Kindle is perfect for a cruise. You can take as many books as you wish - and they all fit in your purse! So also less to lug around on the plane and the ship. There's always HAL's library if you need it.

To tell you the truth, I have never even tried to engage the wireless function while at sea. The first time, I wasn't sure if it would work (or how much it would cost), so I just loaded up my Kindle with books before I left home.

As for newspapers, I understand you can get a subscription to some (NY Times, for instance). I would probably just try to upload every now and then by turning on the 3G to see if it connected. You could do that at a wireless location in port.

By the way, Kindle recommends that you keep the wireless function turned off unless you are uploading - it does make a huge difference in how long the battery stays charged.

Tip for when you're browsing the Kindle bookstore - load up on the classics - some of them are free or just a couple of dollars.

I have a Barnes & Noble nook with 3G. I downloaded a bunch of ebooks that I took out from my library before I left and happily read them on the cruise. I sort of used the web interface to check baseball scores but you had to use (and pay for) the RCCL internet plan unless you found a WiFi hot spot on shore.

I won't echo what others have already said...

But just a friendly reminder not to make the same mistake I made :o I checked out reviews and prices of the e-readers themselves, but didn't put any energy into checking prices of the actual e-books. Do shop around a little before you make a decision. In the end, I decided to return my Kindle - loved the device but couldn't afford to read! Sometimes the e-books are actually more expensive than a brand new (real physical) book on Amazon! Not sure if other stores are the same way, or if you have a good selection of books available to "electronically borrow", but worth spending some time thinking about.

But just a friendly reminder not to make the same mistake I made :o I checked out reviews and prices of the e-readers themselves, but didn't put any energy into checking prices of the actual e-books. Do shop around a little before you make a decision. In the end, I decided to return my Kindle - loved the device but couldn't afford to read! Sometimes the e-books are actually more expensive than a brand new (real physical) book on Amazon! Not sure if other stores are the same way, or if you have a good selection of books available to "electronically borrow", but worth spending some time thinking about.

I'm surprised by this as I've never, ever paid more for an ebook than for a real physical book, except for paperback books. For example, I just purchased a newly released book for my iPad, and paid $9.99. The "real" book is $24.99. Plus, there are lots of great deals on thousands of books, and literally hundreds and hundreds of completely free books. I have more than 25 books on my iPad that I paid zero.

It's true, though in my personal experience, not common for the e-book to be more expensive than the p-book (physical book). It used to be that Amazon would make the ebooks a bit cheaper than the p-books and then the publishers wanted in, so often they are priced closely for mass market paperbacks. "Literature" or trade paperbacks which are usually the taller paperbacks are where I see the pricing get a little more inventive and sometimes the e-book is more expensive than the p-book. Bestseller hardbacks like the ones on NYT list usually are cheaper in e-book than p-book.

There's a rumor that Amazon will come out with a new tablet style kindle this fall.

Also, it is really great for home use, too. You can change the font size, don't need to drive to the bookstore, almost instant gratification, and also important to some - it is light. Some of the larger hardbacks are very heavy in your lap and the ebook reader makes it much lighter. It will be great when amazon adds access to the overdrive library. Check if your library has access to overdrive or some compatible lending library http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

:DBack to the poster's original question! I have taken my Kindle on several cruises now and its a great travel companion! The 3G isn't much use while on the ships, in some ports it will work just fine, and is still free. If you are in a port that has wifi free somewhere, thats a good way to check your newpapers. Or pay for the internet on board. I have the 2nd edition Kindle so no wifi but did use the 3G in Spain this year for free. Worked just fine! But you do have to pay a small fee to have subscriptions delivered while in a foreign country. I think it was $5 for a wk's delivery and I got my local newspaper daily while there. :D I won't travel without my Kindle ever again!

Tomorrow I'm going to stop at my local Best Buy to check out what they have in Kindles.

I've done a few test drives to check out book pricing so I know what the Kindle books cost. Book choices are a lot better now then when I checked this out 2 years ago.

I love the idea of getting book samples before one has to commit to buying the book.

Faith

I have a 3G Nook and had problems with it. B&N sent me a refurbished Nook. I definitely was not happy with it, but it turned out it also had problems. They then sent me a new Nook, which is wonderful.

So, they do stand behind their product, but you might have to go through some aggrevation to get what you want.

As stated by others, you can borrow books from your local library with a Nook. You cannot do that with a Kindle. Also, with a Nook, if you run into a problem or have questions, the employees at your local B& N can help you with it.

In spite of problems with my first Nook, and the refurbished replacement, I'm still solidly a Nook fan.

This post might help, depending on where you cruise

http://boards11.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27609771&postcount=20

Amazon announced they are going to release the Kindle Lending Library, similar to Nook's access to Overdrive, later this year

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?ID=1552678&c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle

As far as aggravation in swapping out Kindles, I'm technically on my fourth. I've owned each major generation and there was an issue in the 2nd gen one I received. I used the website "call me" feature, they rang me in less than 2 minutes, we discussed my unit's issue, and they shipped out a replacement with free overnight shipping. Hard to beat that. The replacement was great.

I've even used the 3g + web browser in Singapore... A place where wifi is locked down pretty heavily due to security.

That endorsement said, Nook is also a nice device which uses an Adobe support .epub format. It's technically an open standard but keep in mind it also can have DRM.

I guess it is time for someone to do a definite kindle/nook connectivity at sea test :)

I have a Kobo N647, just purchased, so I haven't had a chance to take it cruising yet. I chose it based on the specifications, which say it handles PDF documents, and I have some reference material in PDF format. So far so good. Anybody with Kobo experience?

While I don't have the Kindle, I have the Kindle app on my Galaxy tab.

Prior to buying this, I have the hardest time picking which books I would take on my cruise (or any trip). But with the Kindle app, I have a ton of books to carry and to pick from!:)

I have yet to use it on a cruise (but very soon!! :)!), but I really enjoyed the books on the Kindle during my trip to Ecuador. I would stroll, pick and read!

Like another person stated, you can rack up on alot of classics for free or very cheap (I enjoyed reading "Little Women", "The Age of Innocence" and other again). If a writer's books been on e-book for a while, the price will drop. If the author is very popular, there are times where the e-book price and paperback are close.

I still bring one or two books, but otherwise the Kindle app is one of the greatest things to happen to a reader!

My primary interest was being able to download free ebooks from the library via OverDrive & the Kindlle is not compatible. (If you go to the Overdrive website they have a list of compatible e-readers.) I also wanted to be able to get my magazines in digital format. Since many of them are fashion & travel mags color was important. After shopping around I got the Nook Color. Nook also makes a less expensive non-color reader which is very similar in price with the Kindle. So if color is no big deal you might want to check that out. I have not had to buy any books as most of the newer books are in e-book format & are available free from the library. There is a Barnes & Noble near my house so if I have an issue very easy to go over to the store & talk to a live person. Aside from B & N the Nook is also sold @ Staples & Best Buy both instore & online.

So I checked out the Kindle at Best Buy yesterday. Most of my fellow shoppers were ga ga over the other tech toys (Ipad, Nook color, etc.) so I was able to hog the Kindle 3 and give it a pretty good test drive.

For now I gave it a pass. I am lucky that I have access to 2 great used bookstores and a large library. So the need for me is just now there right now. My next cruise is at the end of the year so I might change my mind and just order one from amazon. Like airlink diva I have trouble deciding which book(s) to take on my trips. Faith

If you travel when luggage space and/or weight becomes an issue, then the Kindle or Nook makes a ton of sense. I never have to factor in the size or weight of my Kindle (the newest version with 3G+WiFi) when I pack to travel. My last trip (a land trip to Africa), we had a big restriction on the size of the bag we could trip (some very small airplanes). In the past, I would have had to do without books on the trip. This time, I had plenty of reading material stored up on my Kindle!!

Something else to think about here: If you already carry a laptop or netbook with you with you travel, check out downloading the FREE Kindle app for either Mac or PC.

I have the 3G feature and really don't use it. I question that it would work while out on the ocean. If I ever replaced my Kindle, I will just get the wi-fi Kindle since I download my books when at home and have wireless networking in my home. All that being said, I've had the Kindle for two years and love it more as time goes by. It goes virtually everywhere with me. My husband now has one, my sister has one and on it goes. Our son, who is an online magazine editor, still prefers paper print in his personal life. Go figure.

I have an Ipad with the Kindle app, and just recently got the Kindle Wifi w/special offers for $114.

I wanted the Kindle for reading outside. When I get the books off Amazon, it loads them to both the Kindle and the Ipad. I like the Kindle, because I like to support Amazon. It's a personal choice.

I really didn't see any need for the 3G. I have a link to an Amazon site that has the top 100 books (pay) and the top 100 free books (some games too)..

I never see any need for downloading books away from home. I check the free books every few days, and already have well over 100 books to read. Very few did I pay for, and I usually never buy books when they are first published.

My primary interest was being able to download free ebooks from the library via OverDrive & the Kindlle is not compatible. (If you go to the Overdrive website they have a list of compatible e-readers.) I also wanted to be able to get my magazines in digital format. Since many of them are fashion & travel mags color was important. After shopping around I got the Nook Color. Nook also makes a less expensive non-color reader which is very similar in price with the Kindle. So if color is no big deal you might want to check that out. I have not had to buy any books as most of the newer books are in e-book format & are available free from the library. There is a Barnes & Noble near my house so if I have an issue very easy to go over to the store & talk to a live person. Aside from B & N the Nook is also sold @ Staples & Best Buy both instore & online.

I have heard that library books will be available via the Kindle by the end of the year.......that was my only pet peeve with my Kindle, otherwise it's perfect for me!

My house is not wi-fi. I bought the 3G because the whole point in having a Kindle was to not have to go somewhere to get a book. I wasn't about to drive my Kindle to a wi-fi spot!

There you go. Definitely a reason to get the 3G. Sorry - I totally forgot that not everyone has wifi at their homes.

I just got off HAL and had bought a second kindle with 3G so that I could read my newspapers. It was great and worked perfectly. But, one thing I didn't know was that inorder to download them I had to pay an International Subscription fee of $4.99. The newspapers were 99 cents per copy, but there is a free trial subscription.

It's true, though in my personal experience, not common for the e-book to be more expensive than the p-book (physical book). It used to be that Amazon would make the ebooks a bit cheaper than the p-books and then the publishers wanted in, so often they are priced closely for mass market paperbacks. "Literature" or trade paperbacks which are usually the taller paperbacks are where I see the pricing get a little more inventive and sometimes the e-book is more expensive than the p-book. Bestseller hardbacks like the ones on NYT list usually are cheaper in e-book than p-book.

Yes, sorry I should have specified. Kindle books were always cheaper than new releases (hardbacks) and usually the regular paperbacks as well, but after a book had been out for awhile and had been released mass market, I often (probably 50% of the time) saw the mass market paperback at $7-8 and the Kindle at $8-10.

I'm not saying that Kindle doesn't have its advantages, especially for travelling. Just wanted the OP to look into pricing of the different brands (Amazon, B&N etc) to make sure they found the best fit.

Also look into a waterproof cover...they are relatively inexpensive, and you won't have to worry about cannonball contests while you are reading by the pool :p

• 3 weeks later...
I have a Kobo N647, just purchased, so I haven't had a chance to take it cruising yet. I chose it based on the specifications, which say it handles PDF documents, and I have some reference material in PDF format. So far so good. Anybody with Kobo experience?

I have a Kobo - the new Touch one - but it's my first e-reader and I'm still only reading my first book on it. I plan to bring it with me on my next cruise at the end of November.

One of the reasons I chose a Kobo is for library books. Well, that's why I ruled out the Kindle right away, anyway. I'm also in Canada, so that ruled out the Nook. It came down to the Kobo or Sony for me. Kobo doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the others, from what I hear, so that makes it the less pricey option.

I have bought a few books from the Kobo store, and downloaded a few freebies. The book I'm currently reading is from the library, so I'm happy that I've figured that out.

I don't have wireless internet at home, so I haven't used that at all.

Sorry, it's not much to say about it, but I haven't used it much yet, either.

Archived