Eastern Med Cruise

shaz54

Hi everyone we're cuising in late October and wondering if anyone can advise us on the type of clothes to take? Also some advice on formal wear (2 nights) would be appreciated - smart casual is my normal evening out attire i.e cocktail-type dress or black trousers and pretty top.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The Caribbean will have nice weather in late October. You will want to have short sleeve tops, and shorts for the daytime in most ports.

In terms of forma attire, this varies by cruise line. Which cruise line will you be on?

Keith

Hi Keith Thanks for your useful info . We're cruising with Royal Caribbean. Have been on a R.C. ship before but it was in the Bahamas. New to Med and feel the dress code may be more formal.

...i.e cocktail-type dress or black trousers and pretty top.

That is not classified as "formal wear" per sé but it will be perfectly acceptable for Formal Nights on Royal. Have sailed RCI many times, and have worn the same as you and not felt out of place at all.

If you are on a 12 night cruise, for instance, most of the evenings will be casual; there will be a few smart casual, and probably 3 formal nights. This might help you with your packing.

As for what to wear in ports, I recommend checking the weather in your ports by using one of the online weather websites. Check the week before you go and you'll get an idea of the temperatures you'll be looking at.

I also recommend good shoes for your excursions - I saw so many women wearing sandals and I thought how their feet must hurt with all that walking. There are cobblestone and uneven streets in every poirt we went to; lost my footing a few times. You don't need a special expensive walking shoe - just your regular athletic shoe (Nike, etc.) is fine.

We did a 7 nt. eastern med last month when it was so hot.

Since you will be there with better weather, just a few observations off the Navigator. I noticed that the Med cruises were considerably less formal in the evenings. I think it's because of the long port days. We had early seating and usually just made it back in time to dive for the shower and change. Even the formal nights were less formal. I only saw 1 tux and evening gown. A couple in my party wore long dresses but they were less formal (although still chiffon). We mainly used cocktail dresses for the 2 formal nts. The men were in regular suits/ties but alot just shirts/ties.

I did not see any difference in casual vs. smart casual nights. You always saw sundresses and dress pants. No shorts in MDR at dinner although from looking around the ship alot of people just did the windjammer.

The public rooms are cool so make sure you bring a sweater. Also, for some of the places you will want something that covers your knees and shoulders (Rome, if you visit churches).

Don't stress because you will always see someone more dressy than you but at the same time someone alot more casual. I just usually dressed middle of the road and aimed for comfort.

Ditto on the comfortable shoes. Clarks sandals are great. I also had a pair of the mesh sport shoes that worked well at places that were rocky with climbing (ie. Acropolis).

Hi Shaz,

I'm going to the e Med in late Oct, & am planning on bringing outfits of very light layers, I've got a couple of linen dresses, long tee shirts, capri leggings & very thin light sweaters, & scarves. I'm sticking with a palette of greys, blacks & muted blues so everything will mix & match. Ohh, & a hat because the sun is intense!

I did the same thing last time we were there, it's nice to be able to adjust your clothing as the temps change during the day. I started out some mornings with the sweater, scarf & leggings on, & then just stuffed them in my bag as the day warmed up.

You're going to love your trip, & hopefully it'll be fabulous weather!

Cruise Kitty said it all . Dress to Peal. We are on Noordam in October in Med and looking at various web sites right across med Days will be around mid 20c - average 24c But may be up to 26c or down 22c. Nights 16-18 but then you are on ship....

We will also have small umbrellas and light rain jackets that fold small and will keep out wind etc

A pair of black dress pants with a sparkly top I think would work for formal night-especially if you are trying to keep your packing under control.

I will have to try as we are spending a week in Italy before my cruise. I plan to take a dressy black skirt and a couple of dressy tops for my cruise next year from Rome, Italy to Ft. Lauderdale. I haven't bought them yet-LOL! but I am looking for wrinkled free material and that will fold small! Plenty of that type of materials around.

I saw in Marshalls the other day a beautiful solid black skirt in a poly-satin that was all rose buds. If my size had been available I would have bought that.

Hi there

We did a repositioning cruise with RCI two years ago in November from Athens to Lisbon, so I reckon most of the ports before Malta were Eastern Med. The weather was really like Spring in the UK, although we did manage a bit of sunbathing in a sheltered spot by the pool.

I suggest you take layers, and a light raincoat or jacket and umbrella in case of showers. We only used coats for the journey from home to the airport and back.

For formal nights my husband wore a dark suit, and I had a long black lace skirt with a variety of tops. I did see a couple of ball gowns, but more ladies were wearing cocktail dresses and dressy separates.

We'll be in the Eastern Med again in October this year - the Greek islands are lovely and all different so do enjoy your cruise. We'll be on Queen Victoria (so husband needs his dress suit this time).

Hi there

We did a repositioning cruise with RCI two years ago in November from Athens to Lisbon, so I reckon most of the ports before Malta were Eastern Med. The weather was really like Spring in the UK, although we did manage a bit of sunbathing in a sheltered spot by the pool.

I suggest you take layers, and a light raincoat or jacket and umbrella in case of showers. We only used coats for the journey from home to the airport and back.

For formal nights my husband wore a dark suit, and I had a long black lace skirt with a variety of tops. I did see a couple of ball gowns, but more ladies were wearing cocktail dresses and dressy separates.

We'll be in the Eastern Med again in October this year - the Greek islands are lovely and all different so do enjoy your cruise. We'll be on Queen Victoria (so husband needs his dress suit this time).

That is what I thought for next year- I am a bit concerned about the coat though- in GA no heavy coat is needed in Nov. but by mid Dec. it is much colder and is needed. I may just be layered up with several of the jackets I bring and hope we do not get too cold-maybe I can have my daughter put our coats in the car when she picks us up at the airport.

Great question and wonderful answers!

DH and I will be doing 10 nights in Italy on a tour and then 8 night cruise with RCI. We've never sailed with them before, and this is 1st trip to Europe. Leaving home mid-October. Love...love...love all the info.

Yesterday was 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days until we sail. I really have to start making a list. Should find some leggins (spelling:confused:) to fit my short, plump legs. Know I want to take several scarves and one or 2 pashminas. Probably can find them when we arrive...maybe at a better price.

What else do we need to know?

I think the pashminas are a great idea - you can use them in the evenings as a wrap and in the daytime as a really warm scarf if the weather is colder than expected.

I have a l wool and silk shawl that I use as a scarf and coat liner in the winter.

In Europe wear darker colors, bright scarfs and dress up a bit more than you would here or in the Carribbean. Your smart casual sounds fine. For the formal nights--long dresses, short (cocktail) dresses and black with a nice dressy top will work just fine.

We cruised the Western Med last June and I brought one long black dress and one red cocktail dress for the two formal nights. I felt very comfortable in both. Enjoy!

A friend just got back from the Eastern Med and she wears only black flowing pants and dressy tops for formal night. That was fine too.

Hi everyone we're cuising in late October and wondering if anyone can advise us on the type of clothes to take? Also some advice on formal wear (2 nights) would be appreciated - smart casual is my normal evening out attire i.e cocktail-type dress or black trousers and pretty top.

Great question and wonderful answers!

DH and I will be doing 10 nights in Italy on a tour and then 8 night cruise with RCI. We've never sailed with them before, and this is 1st trip to Europe. Leaving home mid-October. Love...love...love all the info.

Yesterday was 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days until we sail. I really have to start making a list. Should find some leggins (spelling:confused:) to fit my short, plump legs. Know I want to take several scarves and one or 2 pashminas. Probably can find them when we arrive...maybe at a better price.

What else do we need to know?

I still have over a year as mine is Nov. 2012

Archived