1st family cruise EVER...need help!

mspride11

Hi ppl!!!!! I am cruising next month with my kids and fiance, and this is our first cruise ever!!!! Now I am paying for this Sept 1, to cruise the week of Sept 9 or so for a 4 day cruise to Cozumel. Is this normal?

Right now its going to cost us about $1200 total, which Im paying for upfront. But I just wanna really know if it will go up much more?...Also about how much will we need for excursions, tips, etc?

Im not trying to spend no more than $2000 total and giving the kids about $25-$50 each (ages 9,14,13). I do know that I will be purchasing drink coupons for $23/each for me and my fiance.:)

#CantWait...Cozumel here we come:D

Maybe I am reading your post wrong, but if you are waiting until September 1st to book a cruise that leaves Sept 9th, you will limit your choice of cabins (especially if you are putting 5 in a cabin or need 2 rooms together) and the prices may well increase by then.

Yes, I am doing this within about a week or so from the time I book. Its very last minute and I've spoke to a CC rep and Im aware of the limitations but I am also looking at the fact that its "die down season" per CC rep. I have checked everyday for prices and availability and I am willing to be flexible. Thanks:)

The price of the cruise won't change...but you can expect to spend about 1/2 of the cost of the cruise in 'extras'....that's about normal for 1st time cruisers...budget accordingly.

Thats about the information Ive been getting, that to expect to spend about 1/2. Plus we are driving down from KY b/c the costs to fly all of us is too high for last minute.

Just need a vacay and we were "suppose" to marry 9/10/2011 on Imagination anyway, so we kind of wanted to still cruise:o:o

Costs:

Autotip - Added to your onboard account to cover cabin steward, waitstaff, and people helping them. $10 per person per day. So $200 for 5 people for 4 days.

Sodas - about $2 each or you can get a soda sticker for those drinking 3 or more per day.

Alcohol - $5 to $10 per drink.

Excursions - $25 per person and up. Some may offer discount for young children.

Gambling, bingo, gifts, meals and beverages off the ship, etc

Costs:

Autotip - Added to your onboard account to cover cabin steward, waitstaff, and people helping them. $10 per person per day. So $200 for 5 people for 4 days.

Sodas - about $2 each or you can get a soda sticker for those drinking 3 or more per day.

Alcohol - $5 to $10 per drink.

Excursions - $25 per person and up. Some may offer discount for young children.

Gambling, bingo, gifts, meals and beverages off the ship, etc

Thanks Paul!!! I am purchasing prepaid gratuities, which is gonna save me about $40. We are gonna purchase the 4 drink coupon thing too. Were not big drinkers and they also said we can bring a case of soda/water pp, so we will do that also.

I love this board. Its been soo helpful. Thanks everyone:D

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Don't worry about taking bottled water on board the ship.

The water on the ships is better than what we get out of our taps at home.

Taking your own soda on board is a good idea -- especially with 3 children.

Excursions can be very expensive.

Have a good cruise.

Our biggest expense on our cruises are the shore excursions. I have a husband who can't sit still and has to be doing something at every minute of the day...These can add up very quickly!

Drinks and specialty restaurants are our next biggest expense. Also, to keep costs down I don't give my kids charging priviledges on their cards, the arcade and a few smoothies a day can seriously damage your S&S bill...

I think with $800 you should be fine...

Our biggest expense on our cruises are the shore excursions. I have a husband who can't sit still and has to be doing something at every minute of the day...These can add up very quickly!

Drinks and specialty restaurants are our next biggest expense. Also, to keep costs down I don't give my kids charging priviledges on their cards, the arcade and a few smoothies a day can seriously damage your S&S bill...

I think with $800 you should be fine...

Thanks, I have a fiance that has ADHD and he is the same way, but we have already discussed this. I anticipate spending about $600-$700 dollars with excursions and extras. I have to consider my travel costs also. I would like to spend as least as possible. We are going the AI Beach pass and Glass Bottom Boat and thats it as far as excursions....Thanks

.... Drinks and specialty restaurants are our next biggest expense. ...

If you are trying to save on expenses, skip specialty restaurants. Having been on a number of cruises I have yet to spend any money on food.

Food is abundant and pretty good, so no need to buy it.

I have never cruised b4 but from the postings I found that if you do your own excursions you save $$ that way also.

I will be cruising in Sept and one excursion is $100.00 pp if I do it myself will cost me $75.00 pp.

Have Fun!

We love private excursions. Not only are they usually cheaper, but most times there is a much smaller group.

Hello Paul,

You mentioned that prepaying gratuities saved you $40.

This is my first cruise and I was wondering how that worked.

We need to save money on this cruise so my husband will want to book another.

trendy cruiser

In St. Thomas we booked privately a sailboat snorkeling excursion, $50. Cruise ship would have been about $100.

In San Juan we decided to do the Segway tour. Booked it online for about $79. A couple of days later I got an email back that the day we booked, the Segway people give exclusivity to RCI Explorer of the Seas passengers. Had to then book it throught RCI at about $100.

I couldn't believe the price of some of the shore excursions from Carnival.

They want $99 for a day pass I can get at the Radisson in the Bahamas for about $30.

I think the day pass at a resort is a great idea. Some of these resorts are very expensive regularly.

trendy cruiser

They want $99 for a day pass I can get at the Radisson in the Bahamas for about $30.

I think the day pass at a resort is a great idea. Some of these resorts are very expensive regularly.

trendy cruiser

Live, learn, do your homework, and plan accordingly.

trendy cruiser

Yes! That is what we are doing. I have decided on 2 shore excursions. Beach day pass and glass bottom boat/snorkeling. We want to enjoy the ports and shopping as much as possible, without thinking about extra costs. This is our first cruise EVER so we want to make it well worth it:)....

Thanks everyone, I love this site!!!!

Hello Paul,

You mentioned that prepaying gratuities saved you $40.

This is my first cruise and I was wondering how that worked.

We need to save money on this cruise so my husband will want to book another.

trendy cruiser

I've never heard of pre-paying tips saving you money before.

All pre-paying does is lessen what will be on your S&S acct at end of cruise.

It still runs 10pp per day.

You can also save money by buying BV booze .. the prices run about 40-50 per 1 liter bottle take that cost and divide it by 20-25 drinks and your bar tab will be lessened. You can get the soda card for 6.00 per adult per day and use it to get juice and soda for mixer or you can carry-on 12 non alcoholic drinks pp.

Also if you enjoy wine you can carry-on 1 bottle 750ml for each adult 21+. This is in addition to the 12 non alcoholic drinks.

Another thing you could do is buy Funship dollars in increments to add onto your S&S acct. as OBC. They start at 25 and up.

trendy cruiser

So they do have a beach day pass in the Bahamas? What's included for $30? What age is it? We will be cruising with our 2 kids (9&14)...thanks

Archived