Cabin steward

lala014

We never pack any checked luggage on our plane, so everything needs to be in carry-ons, I am assuming a corkscrew is not allowed on the plane in a carry-on, and therefore can I get one from my cabin steward? We will be stopping at a liquor store before we board our cruise so that we can get our wine bottles to carry on. (1 per person, 750 ml)

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

We never pack any checked luggage on our plane, so everything needs to be in carry-ons, I am assuming a corkscrew is not allowed on the plane in a carry-on, and therefore can I get one from my cabin steward? We will be stopping at a liquor store before we board our cruise so that we can get our wine bottles to carry on. (1 per person, 750 ml)

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

OK, LaLa.........you have got to help me with this one. PLEASE tell me how you pack for a cruise with no checked luggage ? I can not imagine putting everything I need for a week + in one carryone and one purse. I am always trying to cut back on what I take, but OMG.....I am impressed. gg

Agree that corkscrews are allowed in carry-ons. Just make sure you have one that doesn't have a blade on it. That will be confiscated.

As long as the blade is under 2" it's fine. I just looked at three different corkscrews, all have a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" blade, and I know I've taken at least two of them in a carry on.

@ggto4. I had a bad experience a few years ago, went on a cruise with friends for spring break and none of my luggage made it onto the cruise. I was on a 6 day cruise without any luggage! For a 20 year old at the time, that was awful!

I went to Saint Maarten two years ago for 5 days, and refused to take any checked luggage. I packed flipflops which take up barely any space, and wore my sneakers, I also have lots of clothes that can mix and match, such as a black pair of jeans but pack many different tops for it. Or a skirt with different tops and accessories. It's funny because all my friends and family will be the first ones to call me high maintenance, but when I go away I pack sensibly. I also make sure to use the biggest carryon bag that TSA will allow, and also my "personal item" which is supposed to be a purse or laptop bag, etc is usually a very large tote bag.

All these trips have been 7 days or less though, so I am not sure what I would do if I were to go away for longer.

As long as the blade is under 2" it's fine. I just looked at three different corkscrews, all have a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" blade, and I know I've taken at least two of them in a carry on.

This from the poster who writes of her many battles with TSA :)! I've had my favorite corkscrew taken away because of the one inch blade. I know the TSA webpage states that knives with blades are not allowed in carryons, but that scissors with blades shorter than four inches are. Does that make any sense? No. And you know that things get through all the time that aren't allowed. I know on my last flight, my daughter didn't remove her 3-1-1 bag out, and it went right through.

Life is to short for me to argue with TSA agents over whether the blade on my corkscrew should be considered a knife or like a pair of scissors; I'd rather just get through the line and avoid the hassle. A plain corkscrew with no blade is o.k., you are gambling with anything else.

This from the poster who writes of her many battles with TSA :)! I've had my favorite corkscrew taken away because of the one inch blade. I know the TSA webpage states that knives with blades are not allowed in carryons, but that scissors with blades shorter than four inches are. Does that make any sense? No. And you know that things get through all the time that aren't allowed. I know on my last flight, my daughter didn't remove her 3-1-1 bag out, and it went right through.

Life is to short for me to argue with TSA agents over whether the blade on my corkscrew should be considered a knife or like a pair of scissors; I'd rather just get through the line and avoid the hassle. A plain corkscrew with no blade is o.k., you are gambling with anything else.

Ironically the only corkscrew I have ever had them give me a hard time over was one of those plastic ones where you pop the top off and push it through the end of the screw part to twist with. Never a waiters corkscrew. Moral of the story, the TSA are stupid.

........you have got to help me with this one. PLEASE tell me how you pack for a cruise with no checked luggage ? I can not imagine putting everything I need for a week + in one carryone and one purse. I am always trying to cut back on what I take, but OMG.....I am impressed. gg
It is really quite easy to do, for man or woman, if you are not a fashionista. We each pack no more than 4 or 5 days of clothing and use the ship's landry/dry cleaning services. Wear or carry jacket or blazer on the plane. Nothing impressive about it.

It is really quite easy to do, for man or woman, if you are not a fashionista. We each pack no more than 4 or 5 days of clothing and use the ship's landry/dry cleaning services. Wear or carry jacket or blazer on the plane. Nothing impressive about it.

Ditto. We wear or carry jacket etc. and use the laundry on board. My BH always comes home saying she could have done with a little less. I used to take everything imaginable but now just a carry-on, and less each trip. We have gone for up to six weeks, but of course wear the smae clothes more than once.

If we forget the cork screw the cabin steward has always had one (one day we may be out of luck).

Looks like this thread has taken two turns: 1) packing in a carry on for a cruise without checked luggage, and

2) corkscrews.

For #2, I would buy a corkscrew at the liquor/wine store. I can get them at "Total W and More" for about 99 cents. Put it in with your makeup. It's just another little whatever in there.

Archived