laptop use on cruisee

xsteves

If you're at sea the only hotspot you're going to be able to access will be generated from the ship's WiFi. However, when you're in port you'll find free WiFi access at many restaurants. Onboard, at sea it isn't free.

If you bring a laptop and use a hot spot for connection, do you have to pay the same charges as when you use the ship's computer? specifically, on Holland America

If you bring a laptop and use a hot spot for connection, do you have to pay the same charges as when you use the ship's computer? specifically, on Holland America

It's the exact same charges. Nothing is free on a cruise ship.

The good thing about using a laptop onboard is that you can compose your emails off line and then only connect to send. Saves air time. Browsing not so much except you will be able to access Favourites quickly. You still pay at sea rates. Not cheap.

On the ship, you'll pay the same for internet connection, whether you use the ship's computers or your laptop. Unless you are going to be using your laptop to download photos extensively, it's just as easy to use the ship's computers....one less thing to bring!

The good thing about using a laptop onboard is that you can compose your emails off line and then only connect to send. Saves air time. Browsing not so much except you will be able to access Favourites quickly. You still pay at sea rates. Not cheap.
You can also download your incoming mail to read off line, saving you still more money. And it is so handy having it right there to use for everything else offline, such as writing journal notes of the day's activities, backing up photos, editing them or making copies to give your new friends.

We have all our travel information on ours, notes about each port, airline schedules, excursions, hotel and rental car reservations, addresses and phone numbers, photo editing software, games, future cruises. We like using our browser of choice and having all our settings set exactly the way we like them.

You can sit in your cabin in your PJs using it in privacy as you wish without needing to get dressed to go out to a public computer lab. And there are many places where you can get free wifi connections in ports.

By bringing it along, it is also available to use elsewhere on the trip, on planes, at airports and hotels or visiting others before and after the cruise. Of course we don't always use it in all those places, but it is nice to have the option.

HAL's prices:

No free WiFi on the ship.

Internet Prices:

It doesn't make any difference whether you bring your own laptop or use the ship's computers -- the price is the same -- no free WiFi.

The advantage of having your own laptop is that you can work off-line and then just copy and paste once you are online -- will save minutes. The internet is slooooow.

There is a one time $3.95 activation fee.

Plan 1 - $0.75 per minute

Plan 2 - $55 for 100 minutes

Plan 3 - $100 for 250 minutes.

Most ships will offer 10 free minutes for Plan 2 and 20 free minutes for Plan 3 if you sign up for a plan on embarkation day.

The other thing about the ships' Internet connections is that they are very, slooooww. Think back to the old 56k modems, and you will be too fast. More like the old 11k modems sometimes. Minimizing your connection time is important unless you want to spend as much on computer time as the rest of the vacation!

The big advantage of a laptop is that you can go ashore in a port (sometimes on your balcony) and quite often get free or reasonable rates. A lot of cruise ship ports nowadays have complimentary internet and it is high speed.

I have never had a problem with wifi in our cabin on HAL just the cost.

The main thing with most cruise lines is that the connections are super sloooow satellite, but that is probably how they make money.

I am posting this question for a friend of mine who wanted to know if the ship's Internet cafe. (Carnival Freedom) might have webcam feature...I figured I would ask for him...I think he might be better off with his own laptop. Outside his room as I always find the connection to be off in rooms, particularly interior...

Just wondering

Barbara

One more thing to remember is to bring your adapter along so you can re-charge your laptop and work offline. I was just talking with someone who forgot his and ended up having to pay for the ship's expensive internet connect time for a while, needing to read and write everything online after his battery ran down.

Fortunately it was only for a short time because he was able to borrow another passenger's adapter to re-charge his laptop.

Archived