Spending all day in Victoria

I am considering a coastal cruise that includes a very long stop in Victoria - 8:00 a.m. - midnight. The only things there I ever see mentioned are the Butchart Gardens and one of the hotels called Empress. If the ship is going to be docked 20 hours, there must be a lot to do, so why aren't people talking about everything else worth a visit? What other attractions are there that make it worth a 20-hour stop? I wish San Francisco, which is loaded with visitor attractions, was the 20-hour stop on that itinerary.

Actually you'll only be docked 16 hours not 20. Things to do in Victoria other than Butchart Gardens and the Empress Hotel:

Craigdorrach Castle

BC Museum (could easily take up the day)

Whale watching

Sampling the local beers

Wandering the Inner Harbour area

Take a walk to and through Beacon Hill Park

Do some more research; there's lots to do in Victoria.

To add to the list:

A visit to the British Columbia Legislature Buildings

A horse drawn carriage ride

A cruise on the Harbour Ferries

A walk of Government St. visiting its unique shops

If you do 25% of the things listed in the thread you will need two days in Victoria.

www.victoriacarriage.com/

http://www.tallyhotours.com/

http://www.victoriaharbourferry.com/

http://www.bastionsquare.ca/

http://www.marketsquare.ca/

http://www.oldchinatown.com/

I am considering a coastal cruise that includes a very long stop in Victoria - 8:00 a.m. - midnight. The only things there I ever see mentioned are the Butchart Gardens and one of the hotels called Empress. If the ship is going to be docked 20 hours, there must be a lot to do, so why aren't people talking about everything else worth a visit? What other attractions are there that make it worth a 20-hour stop? I wish San Francisco, which is loaded with visitor attractions, was the 20-hour stop on that itinerary.

during your sixteen hour stop, there's plenty to do. Not mentioned so far are

• Hatley Castle
  • The Centre of the Universe at the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory
  • The Zip line in Sooke
  • Whale Watching (ok it was mentioned, but worth doing)
  • Spawning Salmon at Goldstream Park (might be a bit early)

What do you like doing? I'm sure I can recommend something (lived there for 30 yrs)

We just returned from a 3 night stay in Victoria. We stayed at the Historic Fairmont Empress Hotel. We really did not do much on the day of arrival but did walk around town to stretch our legs and had dinner at Nautical Nellies. On day one we got up late and did some exploring / shopping up Government Street and Douglas Street until 2 PM. We then took Prince of Whales for a whale watching tour on the Ocean Magic, saw lots of very active Killer Whales, from there the boat took us directly to Burchart Gardens and then a bus back to the hotel arriving at 9PM.

On day 2 we explored the BC Museum , watched an IMAX film of the killer whales, went to Fisherman's Wharf, and the area along the inner harbour past the Float Plane docks. Included in the Fisherman's wharf visit we enjoyed Dungeness Crab and Seafood chowder then took a partial harbour tour on the little ferries. We also revisited some of the shops that got our attention on day one. For the evening of Day 2 we had Dinner at the Japanese Village which my DW loves and then enjoyed a couple of the buskers that were performing at the inner harbour, and took lots of photos after dark. The morning of day 3 we boarded a turbo Otter float plane from Harbour Air and flew to Vancouver, the flight took 35 mins.

This was our THIRD short visit to Victoria and we want to go back again, it is a beautiful city. We did not do the high tea at the Empress as we felt it to expensive but if you like elegant surroundings, perfect service and high quality tea, beverages, and food, it might be for you. The gardens and grounds around the Empress are an attraction of their own.

You should havd no problem filling your day to exhaustion and most probably will want to return at a later date.

Have a great time.

What do you like doing? I'm sure I can recommend something (lived there for 30 yrs)

An ideal port city is one that includes:

*Large formal and flower gardens

*Narrated city bus or trolley tours

*Large aquarium building and zoo

*Science and history museums

*Beautiful buildings and houses

Looks like Victoria should qualify even if the ocean is cold on May 17. :)

I wonder why I thought the stop is longer than 16 hours.

Hi there, what ship are you planning to go on? I'm on the Sapphire Princess for the next May 12, 2012, cruise leaving out of L A. There's already a roll call for that cruise, so just maybe you should think about joining that cruise, would love to meet you on board.

Virginia

Victoria is a great walking city. If you have an interest in architecture, go for a walk around the BC Legislature Buildings. The renovated parts kept their original doorknobs and door hardware, even in the bathrooms. The details could keep me busy for hours. The architect also built the Empress. He was talented, but quite the scam artist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Rattenbury

When you get tired of walking, take one of the little water taxis just to get a better view of the harbour area.

This might sound like a tiny thing, but if you are walking around the Inner Harbour idea, especially if you are traveling with children, look at the fish pond in front of the Hotel Grand Pacific (to the left of the driveway). There are two families of ducks living in the pond and watching them bobbing about is quite entertaining.

I love talking to the native artists around the Inner Harbour and watching them work. The crowds gather around the guy with the acrylic paint gun and the quiet talented people who are carving often get ignored. Their work is so reasonable and you will have a story to remember if you buy direct.

Viv

There are mini-ferries that ply the Inner Harbor and go up to the Gorge. You can see them right across the street from the Empress Hotel. Here's the link to their website. Too cute.

If you like excellent fish and chips, catch one of the mini-ferries in town and get off at Fisherman's Wharf. You can tell where Barb's Fish and Chips is by the crowds that gather. Next door is a bait shop where you can buy fish to feed the harbor seals that swim up to eat out of your hand.

THE BEST excursion I have ever been on was through Eagle Wing Whale Watching, at Fisherman's Wharf (after we ate fish and chips). Here's the link to Eagle Wings' website. I cannot begin to tell you what fun this was being out on the water, looking for killer whales, being educated by experts in the field. Just a spectacular few hours.

Actually they don't serve High Tea at the Empress. They serve Afternoon Tea. (High Tea is like supper, so called because it's served at a high table.)

A walk around the gardens of the Lieutenant Governor's place is a nice stop too. Or you can go out to University of Victoria and look at the rabbits.

Archived