Celebrity Cruises to Raise Alternative Restaurant Surcharges Again

LauraS

Because it ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO US!!!

We only found out what we would get once on board. They could not tell us wether there would be space inthe traditional or wether we would have to go to anytime dining before we actually got to the ship. We were waitlisted for all dining options. The reason was the ship was at capacity!

So THAT is where these "crazy idea" came from. Now in our case it all went well because X number of passengers took Celebrity up on their optional / extra pay dining options every night to open up seating for us and a few others we spoke to on the cruise. HOWEVER and that is my point what happens if cruisers start boycotting those options or in the case of the M classe which are getting over 120 EXTRA passengers after the "cabin stuffing" with out extending the MDR.

I'm having trouble actually understanding what you are trying to say.

The MDR has room for more than 50% of seating a ship at capacity each seating. Did you not pick a dining time before you boarded? Or were you waitlisted on select dining and that is possibly where the confusion came from?

We were waitlisted for dining options MDR period. We no idea what time or which MDR option we would be assigned until we got to the ship - granted we also booked this one late - it was roughly 4 weeks to sailing

Also bear in mind when a ship sails at absolute capacity we are talking over 100%. That is also how the lines come up with an overall capacity of over 100% = extra beds

One of the biggest complaints I have heard from people about Princess and NCL is that their wait for an anytime dining table was so long that they felt forced to eat at a pay restaurant almost every night. With Celebrity and Royal Caribbean their anytime dining program works so well that you can usually eat whenever you want, without waiting for a table, and I hope it stays that way.

Does anyone know if I can purchase one of the dinner packages before the 9/1/11 deadline to lock in price, for a cruise booked in Dec of next year.

Just got an e-mail from the X moneygrubbers, telling me to book spec. diningb-4 9/1 to save money!

Just got an e-mail from the X moneygrubbers, telling me to book spec. diningb-4 9/1 to save money!

Got the same e-mail. If you book before 9/1, you get Grandfathered at the old rate, if for any reason you change your reservation after 9/1, you pay the increased rate. That's what the e-mail stated.

We only found out what we would get once on board. They could not tell us wether there would be space inthe traditional or wether we would have to go to anytime dining before we actually got to the ship. We were waitlisted for all dining options. The reason was the ship was at capacity!

So THAT is where these "crazy idea" came from. Now in our case it all went well because X number of passengers took Celebrity up on their optional / extra pay dining options every night to open up seating for us and a few others we spoke to on the cruise. HOWEVER and that is my point what happens if cruisers start boycotting those options or in the case of the M classe which are getting over 120 EXTRA passengers after the "cabin stuffing" with out extending the MDR.

Being waitlisted for traditional dining times, and potentially having to use Select Dining, is very different from not being able to eat in the MDR at all.

Yes, if no one ate at specialty restaurants then it's likely that Select Dining would be busier and there might be waits to get a table on Select Dining. However, some of those people eating at specialty restaurants have traditional dining, and would simply go back to eating at their normal table (at seats that would otherwise be empty on nights they ate at a specialty restaurant). I do not believe that Celebrity is anywhere close to telling people they cannot eat in the MDR on their cruise (which was what you previously suggested might start happening).

The increase is very relevent to us.

My salary in the past five years has increased 7%.

The Olympic was $20 and now its $40? Isnt that a 100% increase?

Well, principle takes precedence and 100% is a huge increase in anything in this economy.

If I received a 100% increase in my income it would make sense. Sure $5.00 here, $10 there is no biggie but keep everything in perspective folks.

NO more Specialty Restaurants for us again.

Got the same email at 8:30 AM today. It's now 1 PM, and the specialty dining reservations area of the X website has been "down for maintenance" all morning.

Being waitlisted for traditional dining times, and potentially having to use Select Dining, is very different from not being able to eat in the MDR at all.

Yes, if no one ate at specialty restaurants then it's likely that Select Dining would be busier and there might be waits to get a table on Select Dining. However, some of those people eating at specialty restaurants have traditional dining, and would simply go back to eating at their normal table (at seats that would otherwise be empty on nights they ate at a specialty restaurant). I do not believe that Celebrity is anywhere close to telling people they cannot eat in the MDR on their cruise (which was what you previously suggested might start happening).

Potentially that is what could have happened since we were waitlisted for ALL MDR services - am I speaking marschen?? I said all services not just traditional OR Anytime

Potentially that is what could have happened since we were waitlisted for ALL MDR services - am I speaking marschen?? I said all services not just traditional OR Anytime

Did you eat in the MDR or were you actually turned away?

And possibly your TA messed up and never selected a time for you. Were you told at the time of booking that you couldn't choose one or another? Or did you just assume?

The Olympic was $20 and now its $40? *Isnt that a 100% increase?

The Olympic restaurant on the Celebrity Millennium is $35, and will increase to $40 on September 1st.*That's an increase of $5. Not close to 100%. More like 15%.

Got the same e-mail. If you book before 9/1, you get Grandfathered at the old rate, if for any reason you change your reservation after 9/1, you pay the increased rate. That's what the e-mail stated.

Got the same email today, this second volley must have been to avoid a stampede to the reservations option of the website.

Quote:

"Enjoy dining in our specialty restaurants at current prices by making reservations before September 1, 2011.

Dear David,

With menus crafted by our James Beard nominated chef, it’s no wonder our innovative cuisine receives rave reviews from guests and critics alike. And now is the best time to make your specialty restaurant reservations for your upcoming cruise. On September 1, 2011, a small price increase for specialty dining will take effect. By making your reservations now—before September 1, 2011—you’ll enjoy the current specialty dining rates.

If you already have reservations made, the original rate applies. However, if changes are made to that reservation—for example, changing the time of the reservation—after September 1, 2011, the new rate will apply.

So don’t wait. Book your specialty restaurant reservations today to enjoy current rates."

I suspect that either you or your TA did not chose a dining time or the select dining option.

On our last cruise our small group of six had available six seats at our table of eight every night. When we chose to dine in the specialty restaurants our places at that table were still there, and went empty - no tableless people sat there. I know because the other people at our table always ate in the MDR and indicated that they were by themselves. They also refused to spend a dime extra for anything over and above what came with the basic fare - no drinks, no wine, no specialty dining, nothing. They knew our places at the table would be empty those evenings because we paid them the courtesy of letting them know we would be dining elsewhere. And never once did they ever ask how our dinners were in those restaurants. Other than that, they were nice people. But I did think them a bit strange, because when it came to extras they on one occasion mentioned that "they are a total waste of money". Yet, they always had on more jewelry than anyone I had ever met before :confused:

@boogs - no I did not screw up during the booking. Booked directly with X and on the phone I was already told I would be waitlisted for MDR and would only find out when we got to the ship. I might add that I did not have to prepay my tips either since they just didn't know WHAT was going to happen to us. We chose to prepay them anyway becasue this is what we usally do anyway.

I just haven't found my original booking confirmation yet or I would have scaned it to show you.

@boogs - no I did not screw up during the booking. Booked directly with X and on the phone I was already told I would be waitlisted for MDR and would only find out when we got to the ship. I might add that I did not have to prepay my tips either since they just didn't know WHAT was going to happen to us. We chose to prepay them anyway becasue this is what we usally do anyway.

I just haven't found my original booking confirmation yet or I would have scaned it to show you.

Interesting. I'll take your word for it - no need to show proof ;)

How close to sailing did you book this cruise?

Well, as silly as I feel making dinner reservations eight months in advance, guess I'd better get that done for our Hawaii cruise in April. Got the e-mail from X, too.

One question for those of you who've been on Century lately -- is Murano the only specialty (extra charge) restaurant on board?

I did not get the email:mad:

I'm curious how this will all work out. It will not keep me and my DH from trying the special dining restaurants and we have already made our reservations for dinner for next MARCH:eek:

However, on Constellation this past March, these specialty dining rooms were mostly empty. They had wait staff going around all day trying to get people to sign up for dinner.

Lucy

Oh I understood what you said. I just think it's silly if you actually believe there was any chance you were going to be turned away and not allowed to eat in the MDR, either at Select Dining or a Traditional Dining time.

I have no idea what happened that would leave you waitlisted for both prior to boarding (and I agree that it would be bizarre and perhaps annoying). But I have complete faith that Celebrity will offer a MDR option to everyone on every cruise. I do not believe that you somehow lucked out, and only because some people were eating at specialty restaurants were you able to get a table in the MDR... :rolleyes:

Archived