Underage in cabin by themselves vs 5 in a cabin

bunchesofun

I know I've seen threads about this but can't seem to come up with the right search terms to find them.

We have our family of four, myself, dh, ds-16 and dd-11 booked for a cruise on the Pride in December of '12. Booked Early Saver. Now my son's friend wants to come along, he'll be 16 then and my son will be 18. I'm trying to sort out the options. One would be to find out if we can have five in our cabin. We have 6279 which is a large premium balcony and would have room for a rollaway easily.

Now I think I understand that for booking purposes you must have someone 21 years or older in a cabin with someone under that age. So for booking purposes we'd have to change and put one of us in their cabin. So I take it that it would have to be done as a cancel and rebook meaning we lose one deposit? Then at check in we could rearrange who is in each room? Is that correct? I would only do that if I could get them a room close to ours anyway. But am I correct in my thinking?

I dont see what ship, but Pride has no rollaways, thats only older ships that have them. There are no cabins for 5 if you are asking about Pride.

As far as the minor that you are neither the guardian for or the parent, someone has to be 25, not 21 in the cabin with them. Your own children dont have to have someone 25, but a minor without a guardian or parent has to.

Passenger Age

Policy Details

18- 20 years of age

Can book a cabin anywhere on the ship as long as the parents, grandparents or legal guardians are on same sailing. Everyone in that minor age cabin needs to be 18-20 years of age.

13 – 17 years of age

Can have their own cabin as long as it is located within 3 staterooms (this is the maximum number of staterooms allowed) from their parents, grandparents or legal guardian.

12 years and under

Must be booked in parents’ cabin, no exceptions.

Note:

It is mandatory that all minor age bookings be cross referenced with the parents’, grandparents’ or legal guardian’s booking.

Carnival will document all bookings on their side as well.

On our Dream cruise we initially booked four in a balcony (me,dh,dd and her friend) using ES, after some discussion our PVP suggested we could get the girls their own inside cabin for pretty much what we paid for them to be with us. Our PVP changed DH to the inside with dd's friend and kept me and DD in the original balcony, no fees were assessed and we didn't lose our deposit, once we were on board we made our changes. I think it's worth a call, you never know what they'll do for you. Good luck :) If you can swing the second cabin I would highly suggest doing it, while I thought it would be fine having four in a cabin to me it would have been too crowded and I was so glad our PVP suggested the second cabin.

having just come off the Miracle in October with our two teen daughters...(13 and 16)

I would book an interior cabin for the kids in a heartbeat.

We were 4 in a 4k, which was a GREAT cabin..but it was a little tight....I felt like I cleaned up more than the cabin steward just to reduce the 'clutter stress' level!!

We are a family of five (DH, DS 11 and 13 and DD 6) we decided to get a balcony (and we were lucky to get one of the few extended ones) and an inside. We are putting DH and boys in an Inside and me and DD in the balcony..(I will probably let them hang out with us if they are nice to us:)) but we ran all different scenerios and it wasn't really that much more to put two in the balcony and the other 3 in the inside..I would say you want two cabins, especially since one of the guests is an 18 year old friend of DS, those cabins are pretty small, even for a close knit family, (and we did do 5 on the Inspiration) I don't think I would feel comfortable sharing such a small space with a teenage friend...who actually sleeps where, is up to you.

I currently have two cabins booked on the Pride for August 2012, and one cabin will have a 7 and 8 year old in it...it connects to ours, but it is a separate cabin and booking number. They will let you book without a 21 year old in the room, if you are also sailing...just tell the PVP when you book, and they will note the reservation that the kids are in one room and you in the other.

I currently have two cabins booked on the Pride for August 2012, and one cabin will have a 7 and 8 year old in it...it connects to ours, but it is a separate cabin and booking number. They will let you book without a 21 year old in the room, if you are also sailing...just tell the PVP when you book, and they will note the reservation that the kids are in one room and you in the other.

Ill betcha that the 7 and 8 year old are your kids.. if they are not your kids .. as I quoted above, they must be booked with a 25 year old.

Everyone can switch once onboard, but children who are not your own, the rules are different for them.

OP here says one child wants to be added who is a friend, not their child.

Now my son's friend wants to come along, he'll be 16

12 years and under

Must be booked in parents’ cabin, no exceptions.

Note:

It is mandatory that all minor age bookings be cross referenced with the parents’, grandparents’ or legal guardian’s booking.

Carnival will document all bookings on their side as well.

Hmmm...they must not enforce this, because I have a cabin booked for my kids under 12 on the Pride next year...maybe because it's a connecting cabin they are OK with it...and when I booked this was the exact arrangement and they have the birthdates...I didn't book an adult in each room and then plan to try to pull the switch when we get onboard. The PVP just noted that the specific cabin would have two minors and would be linked to our room/reservation.

We are a family of five (Me, DW, DDs 15, 13, and 12) For our spring break cruise on the Spirit I booked a balcony and an inside right across the hallway. I booked myself and one DD in the balcony and DW and other DDs in the inside.

My wife and I had the balcony and the kids got the inside cabin. Once on board guest services gave us extra sail and sign cards that were room keys only that allowed us access into the each others cabins without switching the rooms on the assigned sail and sign cards.

The kids enjoyed having there own space and bathroom. We explained to the room steward what we were doing and he was perfectly fine with the arrangement.

Hmmm...they must not enforce this, because I have a cabin booked for my kids under 12 on the Pride next year...maybe because it's a connecting cabin they are OK with it...and when I booked this was the exact arrangement and they have the birthdates...I didn't book an adult in each room and then plan to try to pull the switch when we get onboard. The PVP just noted that the specific cabin would have two minors and would be linked to our room/reservation.

Yep, I think half the PVPs dont know Carnival's rules, and just say sure kids can be across the hall or next door .. I see it too.

The issue here is the child the OP is adding which is not theirs..they are pretty lax if its your own kids.

Ill betcha that the 7 and 8 year old are your kids.. if they are not your kids .. as I quoted above, they must be booked with a 25 year old.

Everyone can switch once onboard, but children who are not your own, the rules are different for them.

Oh I see...yes, different rules for other people's kids...

Yep, I think half the PVPs dont know Carnival's rules, and just say sure kids can be across the hall or next door .. I see it too.

The issue here is the child the OP is adding which is not theirs..they are pretty lax if its your own kids.

And my kids ages...I would never have them across the hall where I don't have access to them at all times...fine when they are older...but not now. THe connecting door will be open the whole cruise...

And my kids ages...I would never have them across the hall where I don't have access to them at all times...fine when they are older...but not now. THe connecting door will be open the whole cruise...

I agree, DH and I always booked in the room with our kids when they were little, DH and DS together, me and DD together. Now they are teenagers.....DH and I still book with one of us in the room with them......for completely different reasons!! haha

Finally got my laptop back from dd to answer. I was waiting until my PVP came on duty to call Carnival. She said to switch dh to a cabin with ds's friend. No charges for changing. Then when we are on board to go to customer relations and get the room keys and s&s's switched to the right people. Currently there are cabins available quite close. Thanks for all your input on this subject.

• 2 weeks later...

we have a balcony and an inside cabin booked -- for myself and husband with our toddler, our adult daughter and her boyfriend.....

our daughter is over 21, but her boyfriend is just shy of 21 -- so our pvp says they can not be in a cabin together due to carnival policy.... we had to put the boyfriend in the balcony with me and my husband in the inside cabin with my daughter to make the booking...:eek:

????

now, they will have to trade s&s cards in order to have the appropriate room keys.... and trade them back every time they get on and off the ship to match their id's.... WHAT A PAIN!!

we have a balcony and an inside cabin booked -- for myself and husband with our toddler, our adult daughter and her boyfriend.....

our daughter is over 21, but her boyfriend is just shy of 21 -- so our pvp says they can not be in a cabin together due to carnival policy.... we had to put the boyfriend in the balcony with me and my husband in the inside cabin with my daughter to make the booking...:eek:

????

now, they will have to trade s&s cards in order to have the appropriate room keys.... and trade them back every time they get on and off the ship to match their id's.... WHAT A PAIN!!

NoNoNoNo that will not work .. your DH card will be OK for alcohol purchase and the BF will not and IF BF uses it for booze ALL of you will get put off the ship:eek:

????

Just go to the purser's desk and ask for extra key cards for the cabin you want access to. .. you dont need them to trade cards, bad idea. Your S&S card is tied to your credit card.

Just go to the purser's desk and ask for extra key cards for the cabin you want access to. .. you dont need them to trade cards, bad idea. Your S&S card is tied to your credit card.

so they won't have issues with the guys changing rooms?? will the extra keys have the same names on them?

For the last 6 years we always booked a balcony cabin and a inside cabin for our 2 boys and for the last 4 years our youngest son now 16 always had a friend of his as a guest with them in the inside cabin (2 years ago he invited 2 of his friends) and we never had any issue with the TA or Carnival regarding the children not being ours. The only requirement was that the inside cabin had to be right across from us or no farther than 2 doors right or left from our cabin.

NoNoNoNo that will not work .. your DH card will be OK for alcohol purchase and the BF will not and IF BF uses it for booze ALL of you will get put off the ship:eek:

:eek:you mean he can't drink alcohol?? he's over 18!!

firefly says to get additional cards from the purser's desk....can we just let the purser's desk know that BF and DD are in the inside cabin together?? they are right across the hall from us... i don't understand what the big deal is... they are adults that live together already.....

:rolleyes:

Finally got my laptop back from dd to answer. I was waiting until my PVP came on duty to call Carnival. She said to switch dh to a cabin with ds's friend. No charges for changing. Then when we are on board to go to customer relations and get the room keys and s&s's switched to the right people. Currently there are cabins available quite close. Thanks for all your input on this subject.

We did that our first year and Carnival had no issue with the switch and they also told us as long as the kids cabin is right across from us or a couple of doors down that will be alright to book just the kids in the cabin.

:eek:you mean he can't drink alcohol?? he's over 18!!

firefly says to get additional cards from the purser's desk....can we just let the purser's desk know that BF and DD are in the inside cabin together?? they are right across the hall from us... i don't understand what the big deal is... they are adults that live together already.....

:rolleyes:

Drinking age is 21 on the ship

Get the extra cards like firefly said, they dont care where you sleep, the seperate cabins are just for booking purposes

Archived