At what price should I BUY RCL stock????

Count yourself lucky that you didnt buy. If you are in for the long term 3-5 years then $25 per share is a good price. Otherwise I'd wait to see about the CA lawsuit that was filed by shareholders.

What's all this about a CA lawsuit filed by shareholders? Any details?

Combinations: You cannot use the stockholder's OBC with ANY RC-given benefit.

You can combine book-onboard OBC with EITHER a C&A coupon OR a balcony discount.

Combinability?

Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off” promotions and savings certificates. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to investorrelations@rccl.com and a prompt response will be forthcoming.

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit#6

What's all this about a CA lawsuit filed by shareholders? Any details?

Lawsuits like this are not only common, but are considered by most corporations as being a predictable consequence of the normal operation of business. Had RCL not taken the action they did when they discovered the error, the suit may have had some basis, but as it stands now, IMHO, it is more a nuisance than anything. There are law firms that exist solely to file these types of suits (there are actually sophisticated software programs that alert these firms whenever there's been any type of error in any public company's SEC filings), so take it for what it is worth.

Lawsuits like this are not only common, but are considered by most corporations as being a predictable consequence of the normal operation of business. Had RCL not taken the action they did when they discovered the error, the suit may have had some basis, but as it stands now, IMHO, it is more a nuisance than anything. There are law firms that exist solely to file these types of suits (there are actually sophisticated software programs that alert these firms whenever there's been any type of error in any public company's SEC filings), so take it for what it is worth.

Someone can pretty much file a lawsuit over pretty much anything whether or not there is any merit to their claim and while others seem to delight in using such cases to justify their animus against corporations such as RCCL. Unless you have strong evidence that you have been personally and significantly damaged by whatever errors occurred, I wouldn't be too quick to join in any such suits.

I think 100 shares anywhere under 25 is a good price, IF the market is right. I have some but Apple is my biggest position. I was fortunate to catch a double in RCL stock last year, but i bought back in and now I am down like (gulp) 20% after yesterday's slide. I think 25 is major support for the stock and the valuation appears reasonable for now.

The only time I was able to use SH benefits were on 3-4 night cruises, where u get 50 OBC. I wouldn't buy the stock for that reason alone, but the 50 is nice when u can get it. And as others have said- not combinable with just about anything!

I think 100 shares anywhere under 25 is a good price, IF the market is right. I have some but Apple is my biggest position. I was fortunate to catch a double in RCL stock last year, but i bought back in and now I am down like (gulp) 20% after yesterday's slide. I think 25 is major support for the stock and the valuation appears reasonable for now.

The only time I was able to use SH benefits were on 3-4 night cruises, where u get 50 OBC. I wouldn't buy the stock for that reason alone, but the 50 is nice when u can get it. And as others have said- not combinable with just about anything!

Unless RCL decides to reinstate the combinability of stock w/ other perks, the value of buying it for the discount disappears once you reach Platinum. I bought it for two reasons: 1) it was under $25, and 2) RCL has reinstated the dividend. $40/year in dividends is not bad in this economy.

"Antone asking for stock advice on Cruise Critic should go home and learn the basics of investing before doing anything. "

Yogimax - thanks for your enlightening advice...;)

And to everyone else, I appreciate the comments. If nothing else, my question prompted an interesting discussion...sorta like a home-based investing course!:)

I disagree with you. Yes yesterday was a bad day for the stock market not to mention the last few weeks with the debt issue has not been good either but bookings are still very strong and I don't think we're in for a repeat of 2008-09. Just look at prices for the Allure and Oasis for example. You can go well in to next year and see there are no bargains to be had. Also these people predicting the stock price to go down fall down to 2009 levels are totally ridiculous. I didn't know E.F. Hutton was on cruise critic.

The OP asked if it was a good time to buy RCI stock. I presented the picture a double-dip recession with continuing fall-off in the stock market and RCI stock with the general market. In this scenario I would never recommend anyone except a total speculator to buy stock until signs of an economic recovery are present. You don't have to be a stock market guru; just read the business pages over the last several months. Unemployment still over 9.2%, slow jobs growth. No federal funds to be injected to again spur a recovery. The money is just not just there and Congress won't approve any. I have tons of friends in their 50's who have been looking for a job for 18 months with no success. Their unemployment is running out. The common man lives every day with the fear of losing his/her job. I'm just an everyday saver and investor. Not a plunger and speculator. I act on the principles of the reasonable and prudent man. This environment says to me look for safety in your investments. You don't have to be E.F. Hutton (R.I.P) to see that. This is not just my own opinion.

As a result, I could not in good conscience recommend a purchase of RCI to the OP until signs of a recovering economy make themselves apparent. Unless of course OP has funds to play with.

There is a flight to safety in the markets right now because the market sentiment is that things are going to get worse before they get better.

One day's recovery does not a market make.

But if you want to tell the OP to INVEST (?) his/her money right now go right ahead. After all, it's not your money to lose, it's their money to lose.

P.S> If you've saved money which you do not need for living expenses for the sole purpose of cruising you might as well go, because the odds are you will start to get good deals on ships other than Oasis and Allure and the non-flying draw the Explorer IMHO.

I just do not want to see anything bad happen to RCL as a business enterprise. My DW and I enjoy their product so much and to would be awful if the economy or RCL management destroyed it. What would we have to look forward to in the Winter? :D

I just love Cruise Critic even a old guy like me, learns something every day.

It is important to keep everything in perspective. A "dead cat bounce" is a market phenomenon, not a stock phenomenon. Markets trade on fear, stocks trade on fundamentals.

I just do not want to see anything bad happen to RCL as a business enterprise. My DW and I enjoy their product so much and to would be awful if the economy or RCL management destroyed it. What would we have to look forward to in the Winter? :D

The cruise industry in general and RCI in particular has weathered the recent bad economic conditions reasonably well and I think it is quite a stretch to feel that RCI management is going to destroy the company. As long as people continue to cruise (and last year I believe the numbers were up by 10% overall) and RCI continues to offer great ships and a wide variety of itineraries, I don't think you have much to worry about. Stock prices reflect a number of factors including general market conditions but have little impact on how successful the lines are in filling their ships at profitable rates.

Archived