question for the experts

Jinn

I hope to make air reservations for a cruise next July using AA miles. I want to fly FC on a 777, BNA to CPH, through LHR---switching to BA for the last leg. My gateway city choices will be ORD, JFK, MIA, and DFW. My 1st question is which airport is better and what is min. connection time. Next, what is min. connection time at LHR. I usually like a longer connection time so I don't feel rushed. I'm old. Thank you in advance. Julia

I hope to make air reservations for a cruise next July using AA miles. I want to fly FC on a 777, BNA to CPH, through LHR---switching to BA for the last leg. My gateway city choices will be ORD, JFK, MIA, and DFW. My 1st question is which airport is better and what is min. connection time. Next, what is min. connection time at LHR. I usually like a longer connection time so I don't feel rushed. I'm old. Thank you in advance. Julia

Because AA arrives at Terminal 3 at LHR and BA's CPH flights depart from Terminal 5, I would recommend a connection time in London of not less than 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I believe actual MCT is closer to 100 min. for inter-terminal connections, but that might make you feel uncomfortable. Longer is better anyway, since you'd be able to visit the BA First lounges at T5 while you wait.

Thank you both. Does anyone have an opinion about the 4 airports? Julia

Although things could change between now and next July, at the moment I'd opt for either JFK or DFW, for the following reasons:

At JFK you'll use AA's new terminal, which is very nice and easy to get around. Riding in first class, you'd also have access to AA's Flagship Lounge at JFK, which is very pleasant indeed. The downside to JFK is (a) you'd have to fly BNA-JFK on one of AA's smaller regional jets, with cramped seating and no first class, and (b) the flight time from JFK to LHR is so short that - in my opinion - you wouldn't have enough time to enjoy the first class experience on a 777, nor would you have much time to sleep.

At DFW there's no Flagship Lounge, and in July you'd be in the time frame when things can get icky at DFW due to weather (thunderstorms etc.) On the plus side, service from BNA to DFW is on MD-80 jets with real first class; in addition the flight from DFW to London is much longer than from JFK, hence you'd have more time to enjoy first class, and also to get a decent night's sleep once the meal service etc. is over.

Miami and Chicago both are served by regional jets (like JFK) from BNA. Both have Flagship Lounges, but IMO JFK is a better and easier transfer than either Miami or Chicago. But not a lot in it.

You may not have much of a choice when trying (note that word) to use AA miles. You didn't say how many people are trying together.

You will have to start working on it asap and keep at it. Telephone AA to get help with this.

Thousands of other folks have the same idea espcially when related to a cruise ship departure. Be prepared to arrive 1 or more days early and to stay over a couple of days after your cruise is completed.

The only way I've been able to book first class with AA miles of late is to have several dates available for each end of my trip. I try to get the longest possible over water flights so I can get real sleep and start off the trip in better shape. I am also willing to book 'Anytime' seats which cost more AA miles.

My thoughts are similar to those of PennyAgain. To the original poster, I am pleasantly surprised to see you have a choice of routings on your desired travel dates. I would not hesitate to book something soon; as time passes, your options will decrease.

Have you tried to actually book an itinerary yet, and do you know if your selection of connection airports is realistic? If not, your question may be moot. Many of us have to take what we can get, and may have to be flexible as far as travel dates. So, if you can get your preferred dates, AND have a choice of connection airports for a trip in a premium cabin, start planning soon. Happy travels!

Get a monthly subscription to Expertflyer. http://www.expertflyer.com/

It is often the ONLY way to find those elusive first class/business class award seats. You may have to look at quite a few routings to find the seats. And be very, very flexible with dates and routing.

DON'T hold out for STRICTLY first class on anything OTHER than the over the pond flight. Very often, the short flights MAY NOT have availability for first class, particularly for smaller airports. And when you try to book ONLY first class, it will tell you that NOTHING is available. You also generally have a better chance without paying anytime miles with business class.

You also may want to look at AA's partner airlines or even explore the possibility of BNA/PHX/LHR/CPH with the over the pond flight on BA's nonstop out of PHX (wonderful flight and it is rarely full in first class). There is not much of a lounge for BA in PHX but that flight might be an option.

If you subscribe to EF, be ready to jump IMMEDIATELY if you see availability. You have to know the fare codes for award seats to use EF. I swear by EF to find those elusive award seats and find a routing I can live with. Good luck!!!

At the moment, Anytime is all that's available. I'm competing with, not in, the olympics. Julia

Due to your time frame, you will probably have a VERY hard time getting tickets, even anytime for a "normal" BNA/connect wherever/LHR/CPH flight. If you can latch onto anything and have the miles and don't wish to get "creative", you should book as soon as the tickets are available for your dates. I am sure AA is holding even first class anytime tickets for their EXP fliers until the last minute. Why would they "give away" what can be very lucrative tickets???

As I posted previously, look at alternative routings-Royal Jordanian through Amman to London to CPH (there is a partner flight from Amman through Budapest to CPH which MAY be eligible with AA miles).

Etihad through Abu Dhabi to London to CPH (or through Frankfort which may allow better connections). There is some debate as to whether AA miles can be REDEEMED for a flight. You could always accumulate AA miles flying Etihad. I was told by the AA lounge angels at JFK that I could book the Etihad flight home with AA miles-anytime after July 1. I have not tried it yet as I have more than enough Etihad miles but next trip back to the MidEast, I may try to use AA miles.

Jet Airways into London, then a connection to CPH. Air Berlin into Germany, then to CPH, Iberia into Spain, then to CPH.

Sure, any of these routing is more time in the air. But due to your time frame, it may be the only thing available.

Due to your time frame, you will probably have a VERY hard time getting tickets, even anytime for a "normal" BNA/connect wherever/LHR/CPH flight. If you can latch onto anything and have the miles and don't wish to get "creative", you should book as soon as the tickets are available for your dates. I am sure AA is holding even first class anytime tickets for their EXP fliers until the last minute. Why would they "give away" what can be very lucrative tickets???

As I posted previously, look at alternative routings-Royal Jordanian through Amman to London to CPH (there is a partner flight from Amman through Budapest to CPH which MAY be eligible with AA miles).

Etihad through Abu Dhabi to London to CPH (or through Frankfort which may allow better connections). There is some debate as to whether AA miles can be REDEEMED for a flight. You could always accumulate AA miles flying Etihad. I was told by the AA lounge angels at JFK that I could book the Etihad flight home with AA miles-anytime after July 1. I have not tried it yet as I have more than enough Etihad miles but next trip back to the MidEast, I may try to use AA miles.

Jet Airways into London, then a connection to CPH. Air Berlin into Germany, then to CPH, Iberia into Spain, then to CPH.

Sure, any of these routing is more time in the air. But due to your time frame, it may be the only thing available.

AAnytime miles are just that - they book into F so availability is seldom an issue - I can see F5 or F7 (meaning at least 5 or 7 seats available) on virtually every AA flight leaving JFK to London in July 2012 - as far out as one can see. I'm sure it's the same situation with other gateways.

For that matter, I can even see a scattering of BA F (and, amazingly, J) seats available (also from NYC, but I didn't look at other gateways) that might be bookable by the OP at "SAAver" levels (half the miles required for first class.) Obviously flying on BA would expose the OP to stiff fuel surcharges, but I would certainly investigate that before looking at other partner arrangements with more convoluted routes. If the OP wants to fly transatlantic in first class and not business class using AA miles, then the choices are two - AA or BA, both to London.

AAnytime miles are just that - they book into F so availability is seldom an issue - I can see F5 or F7 (meaning at least 5 or 7 seats available) on virtually every AA flight leaving JFK to London in July 2012 - as far out as one can see. I'm sure it's the same situation with other gateways.

For that matter, I can even see a scattering of BA F (and, amazingly, J) seats available (also from NYC, but I didn't look at other gateways) that might be bookable by the OP at "SAAver" levels (half the miles required for first class.) Obviously flying on BA would expose the OP to stiff fuel surcharges, but I would certainly investigate that before looking at other partner arrangements with more convoluted routes. If the OP wants to fly transatlantic in first class and not business class using AA miles, then the choices are two - AA or BA, both to London.

Does the OP have enough miles for Anytime??? If so, then book it when the seats are available. If not, I believe it will be very difficult. But if I read the OP correctly, the OP needs seats sometime after July 27, which are NOT available yet.

The company cargo rep told me via internal friends in YM that AA is going to limit Anytime seats for flights to London during the Olympics. Top tier fliers will get priority on the limited seats (although I am sure that is a "behind the scenes" priority and not published AA policy). That makes business sense due to cost of first class. A company (AA marketing and promotion program) can buy a minimum of 250,000 miles for about $6,125 including all taxes and fees, which would be enough for a First Class Anytime ticket. Still about $2500-3000 less than cash price for highly coveted first class tickets during the Olympics. It doesn't make sense that AA will give up the opportunity to make needed cash.

Very shortly I will bet the anytime seats disappear during that time frame or will be very limited in number.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been checking each day for a FC Milesaver award BNA-CPH through LHR. Today, I was able to put the BNA to LHR portion on hold. The agent told me there was nothing available on BA from LHR to CPH and to call each day of the hold. I'm not looking for an award on that leg. I will buy it and find it difficult to believe that there is nothing available for next July. Any words of wisdom to help me finalize this reservation? I'll post this on "miles and points" also. Some genius will tell me what to do. Thanks, Julia

I'm sure there are seats open but they are holding them for higher lever status members and/or paying customers. They can usually put you on a waiting list for the seats and then when they release them closer to the travel date you will get them. It's a risky bet to take but it's worked for me before.

I have been checking each day for a FC Milesaver award BNA-CPH through LHR. Today, I was able to put the BNA to LHR portion on hold. The agent told me there was nothing available on BA from LHR to CPH and to call each day of the hold. I'm not looking for an award on that leg. I will buy it and find it difficult to believe that there is nothing available for next July. Any words of wisdom to help me finalize this reservation? I'll post this on "miles and points" also. Some genius will tell me what to do. Thanks, Julia

It should not be difficult to believe it's not available. Sometimes there are no award seats on the flight. The airline would rather sell that seat then make it available for an award ticket. There is a long time until this flight; I would not give up hope yet.

TAKE THE TICKET. Don't even hesitate. There won't be many tickets available just before and during the Olympics and there are many FF who are holding a lot of miles just for such an occasion.

I called back this afternoon and there were seats available, so I'm all set. When we get closer to the time, I'll ask questions about which lounge I can use at LHR. Thanks, Julia

AA flyers, is this true?
Can't speak completely to AA, but top tier in SkyTeam gets guaranteed availability on flights. And if that's on a sold-out flight, someone gets bumped. Of course they will pay top full-fare for that coach seat.

I think the big issue is....is this for ALL tickets by an EXP or for full-fare revenue purchases. Slightly unclear in the posting.

AA flyers, is this true?

Kinda, sorta

As FlyerTalker posted, EXP's are guaranteed a COACH seat on ANY flight. Must be full fare ticket and must be booked 24 hours in advance. I also know from experience in the case of irops that EXP's will be re-accommodated in coach on full flights, so someone has to go. I had it happen to me on a DFW to NYC flight. They were pulling quite a few people (about 9 IIRC) off the plane trying to get EXP's on the plane (and DFW has a LOT of DFW based EXP's). I am sure AA worked the VDB angle very hard before they actually IDB'd someone.

Archived