Pumpkins?

slomotion

We'll be on a RT San Diego - Hawaii - San Diego at the end of October and will be on-board on Halloween.

Anybody ever carry a pumpkin or two on board for stateroom decorations?

Also, if this is OK can I take a 2" blade paring knife to carve the pumpkins?

We'll be on a RT San Diego - Hawaii - San Diego at the end of October and will be on-board on Halloween.

Anybody ever carry a pumpkin or two on board for stateroom decorations?

Also, if this is OK can I take a 2" blade paring knife to carve the pumpkins?

Make sure you pack your blade in the luggage. Not in the carry on. I would think it would be ok there but you might want to double check with your TSA regs & HAL to be safe. They might very well lend you one to do it. Hit their chat board on their website and ask to be sure. JMO

Pumpkins? yes, I saw people bring on pumpkins. I was surprised, but I did see it and in their cabins too. Until a few minutes ago I didn't think it was allowed, but once again I got educated on the cc boards:D

Have fun and enjoy Hallowe'en.:)

You're putting us on, right? You have to be. I might have believed you until I read the part about the paring knife.

Why not just carve it/them at home and bring the darned thing/s on. That way there will be no question that there is no contraband inside the pumpkin/s and no worries about bringing on a weapon.

Notwithstanding Kazu's post, this has to be a joke. I was on a cruise over Halloween a few years ago and other than the magnificently carved pumpkins in the Lido (although it was a Celebrity cruise:o), I don't believe I saw one passenger lugging their own pumpkins onboard.

You're putting us on, right? You have to be. I might have believed you until I read the part about the paring knife.

Why not just carve it/them at home and bring the darned thing/s on. That way there will be no question that there is no contraband inside the pumpkin/s and no worries about bringing on a weapon.

Notwithstanding Kazu's post, this has to be a joke. I was on a cruise over Halloween a few years ago and other than the magnificently carved pumpkins in the Lido (although it was a Celebrity cruise:o), I don't believe I saw one passenger lugging their own pumpkins onboard.

Our cruise leaves on the 22nd of October, the pumpkin will be needed around the 31st. If carved on the 22nd, it would probably rot by the time Halloween arrived. I think another option might be purchasing a couple of pumpkins on one of the Islands too.

Slomo- Don't forget to also pack the cauldron, eye of newt, batty bats, spider webs etc!! They will all fit nicely in the coffin.... :D ;)

Just when you think you've heard it all...... I didn't take OP seriously for a moment, but now that others seem to, I wonder. I'm sure the cabin stewards will be thrilled with cleaning up the mess carving a pumpkin(s) and it rotting will make. Then other pax will demand a non-pumpkin cabin. Maybe HAL will have to ban pumpkins and then we can have all the how-to-sneak-on-my-pumpkin threads to fight about.

I used to carve pumpkins years ago. And their innards do make a mess.

Also, after they 're carved, it doesn't take long before they start to rot....badly. The rotting is very attractive to fruit flies.:D:rolleyes:

I still think this is all in good fun. And the OP hasn't returned which is often a sign of a poster stirring the pot (or in this case cauldron) and then sitting back watching to see how it will unravel. I should know ... done it enough times and always in fun.

I think what throws me the most is those taking it seriously. I think of Halloween as being a fun time for children. I remember the days of jack-o-lanterns, making our own costumes and dunking for apples. So Halloween has a place ... rotting pumpkins on a ship is just more garbage . Just sayin' :rolleyes: Heat and pumpkins don't mix (I live in FL; I should know). We don't see a whole lot of them hanging on doorsteps down here for very long.

But as a lark for a thread? I'm all for it.:D

I still think this is all in good fun. And the OP hasn't returned which is often a sign of a poster stirring the pot (or in this case cauldron) and then sitting back watching to see how it will unravel. I should know ... done it enough times and always in fun.

I think what throws me the most is those taking it seriously. I think of Halloween as being a fun time for children. I remember the days of jack-o-lanterns, making our own costumes and dunking for apples. So Halloween has a place ... rotting pumpkins on a ship is just more garbage . Just sayin' :rolleyes: Heat and pumpkins don't mix (I live in FL; I should know). We don't see a whole lot of them hanging on doorsteps down here for very long.

But as a lark for a thread? I'm all for it.:D

Heather,

This OP was (is) serious in asking the question, and was looking for answers, which I got. I was away on Tuesday, read them last night, thought about it and, for the pumpkin, will probably go for an inflatable instead of real.

Most folks do not realize just how big (in dollars) Halloween is as a holiday and I'm talking abut adult costume rentals, make-up, party decorations, catering etc etc etc. Years ago I owned a gift, card, & party shop and Halloween raked in big $$$$'s.

We have an aft SC with a large wraparound veranda and will probably have a gathering of some kind and will decorate. We're starting to buy the spiders and stuff like that now.

Sorry you were thrown by a "real" post.

slo

How about a fake jack o'lantern from a party store or dollar store? Much lighter to carry on, and no rotting issues or mess from carving.

I am all in to the fun of the holiday and this is the first thing that popped into my mind....also, maybe a few light weight decorations would be fun!!! :p

Our cruise leaves on the 22nd of October, the pumpkin will be needed around the 31st. If carved on the 22nd, it would probably rot by the time Halloween arrived. I think another option might be purchasing a couple of pumpkins on one of the Islands too.

Slomo- Don't forget to also pack the cauldron, eye of newt, batty bats, spider webs etc!! They will all fit nicely in the coffin.... :D ;)

Do you think Mrs. Gingrich will mind if I take the eye of Newt?

I don't know how many bats are in a batty.

I've got the spiders in my backyard working OT on the webs as we speak.

The coffin could have an occupant so I don't know about space.

Hola!

Michael's craft store has those lightweight foam-type pumpkins that can be carved without the mess. Also, I was in the dollar store over the weekend and they already had Halloween stuff for sale.

On our cruise to Hawaii on the Zaandam in '08, I wore a shirt with a sequined pumpkin to dinner along with a headband with wiggly bats. Was quite the hit of the dining room.

Also was on a Carnival cruise with girlfriends and we all had some kind of Halloween stuff to wear, light-up earrings, etc. Many passengers really went over the top with their costumes. It was a blast!

Heather,

This OP was (is) serious in asking the question, and was looking for answers, which I got. I was away on Tuesday, read them last night, thought about it and, for the pumpkin, will probably go for an inflatable instead of real.

Excellent decision on the inflatable pumpkin. Please understand, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. I'm glad you enlightened me.

Most folks do not realize just how big (in dollars) Halloween is as a holiday and I'm talking abut adult costume rentals, make-up, party decorations, catering etc etc etc. Years ago I owned a gift, card, & party shop and Halloween raked in big $$$$'s.

That's a little insulting. "Most folks" I guess means other than me?. I'm aware of "how big in dollars" Halloween has become and I also have lived long enough to know why ... marketing by people like yourself who made it into what it is today. I simply don't think Halloween belongs on a cruise ship. JMO. For a child I would have a different view although going cabin to cabin trick or treating could be a little fruitless unless all passengers were forewarned to bring treats:D.

We have an aft SC with a large wraparound veranda and will probably have a gathering of some kind and will decorate. We're starting to buy the spiders and stuff like that now.

Sorry you were thrown by a "real" post.

Have a wonderful gathering; you really can't go wrong on a cruise no matter what the theme. Glad you're getting a head start on those decorations.

As for the "real" post, wasn't thrown at all. As I said above .... I thought you were trying to be funny and enjoyed the humor ... we can all use a laugh these days and I was happy to have mine. My bad for posting now that I learn you're actually serious about this.

We once sailed during Halloween. Maybe a half dozen pax put on costumes. There were a few decorations on the Lido deck. No Halloween celebrations aboard.

I put our my decorations [at home] at the beginning of October and enjoyed them for several weeks. When it came time to pack for the cruise, I left my pumpkins at home! :eek:

Some people go all out, some do not. HAL appeared to be in the latter group, at least on my cruise.

The thought of bringing an actual pumpkin aboard is a bit beyond me. The unnecessary weight and space issues, and then the rotting SMELL, are among the reasons why I would advise against it.

Now, if someone wants to bring some light weight paper or plastic decorations ... well ... that's a much more reasonable option.

Hey, let's drag a christmas tree along too, decorations, lights and all... haa haa. I believe the ship would take care of decorating for holidays in a nice festive fashion, the rooms must be small... why would anyone want to make them more cluttered with their own personal holiday decorations. Maybe a tapestry, insence and candles, (they are only take up small space in suitecases), but a pumpkin?

Hey, let's drag a christmas tree along too, decorations, lights and all... haa haa. I believe the ship would take care of decorating for holidays in a nice festive fashion, the rooms must be small... why would anyone want to make them more cluttered with their own personal holiday decorations. Maybe a tapestry, insence and candles, (they are only take up small space in suitecases), but a pumpkin?

I've done that, for a Christmas cruise despite having a small cabin. Just a little dollar-store tree and a few decorations (no lights, though). And a tinsel wreath for my door. I've never been on a ship for Halloween, but I'd probably bring a few decorations for that, too. (Not a real pumpkin)

Do a search for threads on door decorations and balcony decorations. You'll be surprised at some of the things people bring along to decorate. And not just for holidays.

We usually cruise over Christmas/New Years and always bring some decorations for our stateroom and our door. Last year was the first time we used a 'countdown to Christmas' board on our mail slot and it was great when others commented on how they had enjoyed following the countdown.

Yes, the ship is decorated for the holidays (even Hallowe'en to an extent) even when travelling in the waters of Australia/New Zealand.;)

Archived