What is this economy/stock market doing to your cruise planning

riddle

I'm curious, why 8000?

Just a number that popped into my head. Last time the DOW dropped big to around 8,000 I hesitated to buy LVS and it cost me more than $100K.

I just figure 8,000 is the number where your going to start getting REALLY good bargains, not saying there arn't good bargains out there now, but I'm looking for that big score.

Just a number that popped into my head. Last time the DOW dropped big to around 8,000 I hesitated to buy LVS and it cost me more than $100K.

I just figure 8,000 is the number where your going to start getting REALLY good bargains, not saying there arn't good bargains out there now, but I'm looking for that big score.

Yeah, I missed out on TXT :mad:

Ever one who either cancels or delays a cruise helps put this economy in deeper. stop spending, lay offs increase, its only math. Besides you are not guaranteed to be around when the economy picks up, you are only guaranteed the moment so why waste it.

I'm not making any changes in how I cruise or anything else for that matter. I believe vacations are important, and I plan for them in my budget. I try to be smart about how I spend, using credit card points, miles, etc to help keep it inexpensive.

Generally, I refuse to live in fear. I try to plan for emergencies by having an emergency fund, etc. but beyond that, I'm not going to live as if the sky is going to fall tomorrow.

Not to be preachy, but that is my approach.

We have never had much, but always found that we put an extra effort forth to save what little extra $$ we had and plan a vacation once a year.

With both of us working 2-3 jobs you have to have something to look forward to right?

Inside cabins on shorter cruises have always been our thing, simply because thats what we can afford, and we will continue to book as long as we can.

Glad we haven't been able to afford nicer rooms or longer cruises, as it may be hard to downgrade. But since we have never known anything else, we can't be disappointed :)

Ever one who either cancels or delays a cruise helps put this economy in deeper. stop spending, lay offs increase, its only math. Besides you are not guaranteed to be around when the economy picks up, you are only guaranteed the moment so why waste it.

EXACTLY, Vi-Guy! So many people don't realize this. Everyone who is scared by the downs of the economy and then stop spending are going to keep the economy in a depressed state. It is important that everyone get out there and spend money - not go crazy on huge purchases if you can't afford it, but even spending money shopping or out to eat will help. I just bought a house, a car, and have booked a cruise. I stayed within my budget to do so, but I feel good contributing to our economy. And it makes me mad because all of the big news organizations spend endless hours talking about falling stocks and the depressed economy, which only makes people more scared. It's such a cyclical effect.

As long as you're within your means, get out there and spend money and help make our economy strong again!

Michael

Ever one who either cancels or delays a cruise helps put this economy in deeper. stop spending, lay offs increase, its only math.

You're right of course and the little guy will continue to spend has he always has. Its the heavy hitters that are hoarding cash - large corporations are sitting on a mountain of cash right now. That will affect the economy in a much more intense way then any of the middle class folks. When they stop spending they stop hiring and start laying off which sucks the life out of the person on the street trying to make a living and afford a trip or a little vacation once in a while. The Super Committee is bound to make it worse. I have no faith in politicians these days. Re-election first, self perseverance second, personal finances third and country dead last.

I just wanted to ask, I have thought about doing the whole "mystery shopper" thing and paid surveys, but I wasn't sure if you could really make money doing it. Is it possible to do this while still working a full-time job? Thanks for your input.

Replying to your Off-Topic tangent simply because somebody should, just to give you one big warning: Be careful! A ton of these schemes are either intended to part you with up-front money, stick you with the purchase price of something you wouldn't have bought otherwise, or scam you out of banking and/or identity information. Please, please, please, before you put your foot in those waters, google up the phrase "mystery shopper scam". You'll get one hundrend and ninety three THOUSAND hits! If you google up "paid survey scam", you'll get over a million hits.

Do you really think you will know the difference between the few legit deals scattered around in the minefield? Just remember this: the person who has the easiest job of fooling you, is you. All good confidence racketeers know this.

I promise, I mean no offense by this reply.

InTheCruisingYearsOfLife

No changes for me. I pay for my vacations out of my bonuses. My last few bonuses have been large enough that I still have more than enough banked for a few more vacations plus.

The company I work for does not layoff employees. During the last down turn we were able to make cuts and efficiencies in so many other areas that we were able to sustain our profit margin even with a drop in sales and no layoffs. This caused our profit margins to increase when our sales picked back up to record levels last year and so far again this year. Thus record bonuses for the last 2 years.

DH's company did the opposite. They laid off too many people, started paying the people left OT to get the orders out and then lowered their starting wage when their sales picked up. He has been working OT for over 2 years now and the company can't seem to hire quality qualified employees at the rate they are willing to hire people in for. Even though we are in an area with high unemployment rates, people would rather have the government support them than work for $10 an hour. Go figure. Since they are already short-staffed, sales would need to drop significantly for his job to be in jeopardy right now.

We have money put away in savings accounts, college funds, 401k's and IRA's. I will continue to keep putting money into these accounts and I will continue to keep spending as normal as long as our personal situations do not change. IMHO to stop spending when I can afford to would be hurting the economy instead of helping it. We all need to do our part to change the economy.

I don't miss around with my 401k's and IRA's. I put the money in for long-term savings and just ignore the swings in the market. I still have quite a few years until retirement so I refuse to make any changes until it comes closer to retirement. My thoughts are that right now I am buying cheap.

For those of you struggling right now I will keep you in my prayers. But please don't give up hope and keep looking for that light at the end of tunnel. Hopefully you will find it soon. I know there are some companies hiring out there and I hope you find one of the good ones like mine.

I am planning a cruise next March, I don't know where to or with what line (it's my SIL's choice), so I am looking foreward to reduced rates doe to the lines trying to fill cabins.

Do I know you from another forum? Ever heard of the Purple board?

Negative on that.....i'm too busy trying to make a home based business go to spend time on boards other then here...not even really a "survivalist" either...just an old ex-soldier trying to hold on to what little he has..:)

Bill(DrFootball)

("Can someone please make me a drink, I had a tough day racking up the "Terrorist Body Count"- Lt. Col. Carlos(charlie) Castillo-WEB Griffin's "the Presidential Agent")

I currently have a good job and savings in the bank, so I am fortunate enough to not have to worry about my upcoming vacation plans. If something happens to my situation in the meantime, I probably won't cancel (after all, much of it is prepaid and nonrefundable), but I will definitely scale back on the parts of it which I haven't paid for yet - in other words, I'll choose free meals on the ship rather than lunch in port, I'll look for cheap excursions/beach days instead of expensive tours, and I'll wipe alcohol entirely out of my budget for the week. A cocktail or two a day can make a big difference in overall spending.

We always pay our bills first, then money goes into 401Ks and other savings, and finally there is "fun" money leftover, whether that's dining out at home or saving for vacation. As long as we can meet our committments, I see no reason to change our lifestyle. We've been responsible all along with our finances, so in a worst-case scenario, we'll still have our butts covered :eek: Obviously at that point we would focus on necessities and not extravangances like cruising, but for now I don't see a reason to have a "doomsday" attitude. You only live once, might as well make the most of it when you have the opportunity.

Last year when we booked b2b2b cruises for a total of 33 days aboard, we knew we wouldn't be able to cruise again for a LONG time, probably several years. No budget for it since our retirement income is very limited and at our age we didn't dare take more money from our savings. So, the current stock market ups/downs isn't affecting our cruising, just our savings.

I'm jealous of those who can continue to cruise, but I'm not sorry we took such a long cruise last Sept/Oct. It was AWESOME.

I just wanted to ask, I have thought about doing the whole "mystery shopper" thing and paid surveys, but I wasn't sure if you could really make money doing it. Is it possible to do this while still working a full-time job? Thanks for your input.

Sorry for the delay. It's been a hectic day- no CC time.:mad: Anyway, to answer your question, you cannot make enough money to support yourself doing these things. I have a job that has a lot of 'down time', so I do most everything there. I probably work on surveys around 2 hours a night and earn around $100-150 per month. If I had to do it in my free time, it wouldn't be worth it to me. I only do mystery shops every 90 days or so. They're good for a free meal and $20- $30. If you want to drop me an email, I'll send you a few links to some reputable companies. (swells 5683 at yahoo dot com) no spaces

I didn't find cruising until 2004, and have been going strong ever since. I had a time share which I enjoyed for 25 years, but sold it since I prefer cruising now.

With no social security cost of living raises in several years (yes we got one one year but the cost of medicare ate it all up), and no cost of living for my pension from the state, we keep cutting back on what others would call necessities. I try not to drive the car except once a week for groceries and errands. When the water, garbage, power, gas, gasoline etc. bills increase but social security does not, something has got to go!

So instead of getting a balcony cabin, we get an inside. We don't buy drinks or many excursions. We eat in the main dining room without going to the specialty restaurants etc. But it does look as if we will not be able to afford any cruises next year. We have one already booked for November with a future cruise credit, and that's going to be it unless my ship comes in.

No change. Three years ago, when I reached 60, I reallocated my portfolio to holding only a small fraction of equities. Also, invested in Gold stocks.

I am concerned about inflation kicking in within a year or two, due to the FED's QE.

Inflation is what is concerning me also. If inflation kicks in won't the prices go up because the dollar is worth less, but you still have the same income.

No change. Three years ago, when I reached 60, I reallocated my portfolio to holding only a small fraction of equities. Also, invested in Gold stocks.

I am concerned about inflation kicking in within a year or two, due to the FED's QE.

We have two cruises coming up, one in January 2012, and the other in January 2013....we downgraded our cabin this year from the lowest suite to a balcony, and next years from a balcony to an oceanview.

NOT GIVING UP MY CRUISING!!! :eek:

Our winter cruise is what keeps up sane through those cold, dark, snowy NY months!!!

My upcoming cruise is paid for. I'd only invoke my "cancel for any reason" insurance in the case of a job loss between now and the cruise.

After this cruise, though, I'm going to be in a wait-and-see pattern. I waited until I got a very good deal this year, and hope things remain secure enough to be able to cruise next year.

Archived