from Copenhagen airport to downtown -best option

We are staying at the Zleep Astoria right next door to the train station in downtown Copenhagen. Is it easy to catch a train into dowtown and what is the cost compared to two taxi or one van? We have 7 of us (2 adults and 5 teens with luggage). Since it doesn't seem like a long distance, I didn't know if the train was worth the savings (if there even is a savings). Also, what would be the best option to get to the cruise pier from the hotel (NCL SUn pier, but not sure of the name of the pier) Any advice?

Taking a train is VERY easy. For cost, there are a couple of options. Trips are priced according to the number of zones you travel through. From the airport to the central station is 3 zones. The cost is around 35 DKK.

However, it is cheaper to buy a 10-trip clip card (or klippekort). Multiple people can share a pass, as long as they travel together. With 5 people traveling, you could purchase a 3-zone card. For the trip to Copenhagen, you could validate (clip) the card 5 times in the little yellow box on the platform. You would still have 5 'trips' to use elsewhere (maybe to get back to the ship after your cruise?)

We stayed postcruise at a hotel located 2 blocks from the Central Train station. Travelling on the train to the airport was very easy and I recall price per person was 36 DKK (around $6) and it's only a 15 to 20 min. ride. Train cars are roomy and designed to accomodate travellers with luggage. Considering there are 7 of you, this is probably the cheaper option, as you probably would have to book at least 2 taxis.

I don't know where your ship will dock, but there's a train that runs in that direction, with stops near the piers. Suggest you obtain a map of Copenhagen from the tourist office, which provides good information about local transportation.

Enjoy!

• 5 months later...

Hello Danish Viking,

My husband and I arrive in Cophn in June for one night post cruise. We shall be staying at a hotel close to the central station . We have to get to and from the airport and from the cruise port to the hotel. We would like to use strictly public transit you have mentioned. For 2people what sort of multi fare tickets should we be buying for the travel I have described?

I am also thinking we might like to see fredricksborg castle.

Any info is much appreciated.

Claudette

We are staying at the Zleep Astoria right next door to the train station in downtown Copenhagen. Is it easy to catch a train into dowtown and what is the cost compared to two taxi or one van? We have 7 of us (2 adults and 5 teens with luggage). Since it doesn't seem like a long distance, I didn't know if the train was worth the savings (if there even is a savings). Also, what would be the best option to get to the cruise pier from the hotel (NCL SUn pier, but not sure of the name of the pier) Any advice?

We were on the NCL Sun in August, 2011. Our CPH pier was Orientkaj. We took the S-tog from CPH Central Train Station to Nordhavn and then walked to our pier. It was a very easy walk for us...about 10 minutes (we each had a large rolling suitcase & backpack).

You can "walk" the route from Nordhavn to Freeport (Orientkaj) on Google Maps Street View.

We did the cab in from the airport to our hotel on the square overlooking the City Hall. The train was possible, but with all of our luggage and stuff for our cruise, the cab worked much easier and quicker. The Copenhagen airport is very, very nice. Easy to sue and navigate. Close to central city. Many parts of this airport have wood floors. Very classy touch!!

Don't miss seeing Copenhagen's Tivoli in the evenings with the lights on, etc. Walking around this town is wonderful. Don't miss those opportunities to explore and experience this super charming city. See a few of my visuals below. It's a Danish Treat!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 59.670 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Tivoli looks so special at night with its famed building designs, water features, gardens, flowers, rides, people, entertainment, etc.:

TivoliJapHseLake.jpg

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Copenhagen’s central railway station was built in 1911 with 13 train platforms. Shown below is one side of the largest train station in Denmark. Also shown is an interior view. Between its brick exteriors and soaring interiors, it’s a classic, charming, busy part of Copenhagen.:

CopenhExteriorBrick.jpg

CopenhTrainStInterior.jpg

Archived