Resident Rates

BBsails

How can I find out which states are included in a resident rate for a particular cruise? Is there a place where all the included states are listed? For example, I can make a "dummy" booking, putting in my state, but how do I find our if the same sailing has a resident rate for any other states? I know I could type in each state in succession, but there must be a better way. I remember doing this a while ago, but I cannot remember how I did it. :confused: Hope I'm making this clear.

Betsy

It's fairly simple. When you make your dummy reservation on the Celebrity site go to the type of cabin you want (ie Veranda). The price for that cabin will be shown and if there is a resident rate it will be in a seperate box directly underneath that. It usually runs $100 per passenger. You would have to repeat the process claiming another state of residence to see if it is included.

It's fairly simple. When you make your dummy reservation on the Celebrity site go to the type of cabin you want (ie Veranda). The price for that cabin will be shown and if there is a resident rate it will be in a seperate box directly underneath that. It usually runs $100 per passenger. You would have to repeat the process claiming another state of residence to see if it is included.

You have to select your state in the passanger profile page first before you look for the pricing on a particular category to see if there is a resident discount.

OP is aware of how to find the residency rate, she wants to be able to search for multiple states at once. Despite her memory of having done it before, I don't believe it can be done on X's website. Maybe she was thinking of another cruise line's website or a TA's website that allowed multiple states to be selected.

FWIW, I tried a few things like holding the shift and ctrl down when I selected my state this morning for my daily price check. On some websites, doing so will allow multiple selections. On X, as soon as you click on a state, the pulldown box goes away and you're left with that state. If you go back in, it clears the selection.

A good travel agent can pull up the resident's rates with all the states that are included in that rate. But sometimes the resident's rates are only valid with certain cabin categories such as outside only. That makes it hard to do a dummy booking if you are looking for verandahs. Same issues with senior rates.

You would almost have to check each category....I would just call my travel agent and have her look!

Pat

A good travel agent can pull up the resident's rates with all the states that are included in that rate. But sometimes the resident's rates are only valid with certain cabin categories such as outside only. That makes it hard to do a dummy booking if you are looking for verandahs. Same issues with senior rates.

You would almost have to check each category....I would just call my travel agent and have her look!

OP's reason for wanting to know this might have a bearing on whether or not it's a good idea to call a TA about this, if she even has a TA. Let's assume for a minute that the reason OP wants to know is what I guessed at earlier, she thought it would be nice if she could let other roll call members know if there was a residency discount they could use, and as long as she's checking for herself, she'll check for everyone else, if she can figure out how to check them all at once.

If I were a TA, I wouldn't look kindly upon spending my time checking for resident rates for everyone on the roll call, when I'm only getting paid by one of them. I might begrudgingly do it out of a sense of customer service, but it's really not fair to the TA. Let them do their own research, or let the OP do it if she wants to do everyone a favor, if that's actually her reason for wanting to know. But it would depend on the reason-- possibly it's for some legitimate reason I can't think of, but as Oville asked, what could the reason be?

When I was a TA we would get the special deals, resident rates specials, or reduced rate promos on a fax that would list at the bottom of the fax which states were applicable. However, as already mentioned, I don't think I would have appreciated spending a lot of time checking for any type of reduced rates for a bunch of people already booked through someone else.

Last year when I got a Resident Rate promo on the print out for the cruise documentation it reiterated that a government issued ID from that state would be required or I would have to pay the current rate for a stateroom and could be denied boarding if I failed to prove residency.

The only way I know that it can be done is as others have said is by making a fake booking (without actually holding a cabin) and ensure you indictate your state of residence.

Thanks for your replies. I must have seen the information on another website, although I have no idea which one.

No particular reason for wanting to know all the states receiving residency rates for a particular cruise. I just remembered that I saw a list somewhere and wondered where/how to get the information other than selecting a specific state on the =X= website. Chalk it up to idle curiosity.

Last year when we booked our TA, all the states around us received huge residency discounts, as much as 50%, while ours did not. However, all turned out well as we were able to upgrade to a suite and receive a refund as well.

Betsy

OP's reason for wanting to know this might have a bearing on whether or not it's a good idea to call a TA about this, if she even has a TA. Let's assume for a minute that the reason OP wants to know is what I guessed at earlier, she thought it would be nice if she could let other roll call members know if there was a residency discount they could use, and as long as she's checking for herself, she'll check for everyone else, if she can figure out how to check them all at once.

If I were a TA, I wouldn't look kindly upon spending my time checking for resident rates for everyone on the roll call, when I'm only getting paid by one of them. I might begrudgingly do it out of a sense of customer service, but it's really not fair to the TA. Let them do their own research, or let the OP do it if she wants to do everyone a favor, if that's actually her reason for wanting to know. But it would depend on the reason-- possibly it's for some legitimate reason I can't think of, but as Oville asked, what could the reason be?

I was thinking a family cruise! When we booked our family cruise, it involved only 13 cabins, but 8 different states! That why I was thinking family! No agent in their right mind, is going to pull up all 48 states plus categories for someone without a good reason! :)

I was thinking a family cruise! When we booked our family cruise, it involved only 13 cabins, but 8 different states! That why I was thinking family! No agent in their right mind, is going to pull up all 48 states plus categories for someone without a good reason! :)

Booking that many cabins you'd be better off trying to get group rates and the group amenities that come with it. Nothing like some getting a bigger discount through a resident rate and others finding out they paid more. A little family feud might ensue. ;)

Archived