Lunch in MDR

saintgeorge

We also enjoy eating almost every meal in the dining room. Being able to eat lunch in the dining room is one of the reasons we prefer Princess over Celebrity and HAL. I will be very disappointed if the dining room is closed for lunch on port days on our next cruise (Crown, Dec. 17).

That's exactly how we feel. Having the option to eat lunch in the MDR on a port day was definitely something we missed on our recent Equinox cruise. Most days we were on all day excursions, but a few times we wanted to eat onboard. I especially remember the last day in Naples. DH had not been feeling well enough to go out all day, so we just went to the museum in the morning and then returned for lunch, only to find the MDR was closed.

If it is itinerary based, I wonder why they would eliminate the MDR lunches in the Caribbean as opposed to Europe. In my experience, more people stay on the ship in the Caribbean than Europe.

I agree. I would think that in the Caribbean, as in the Mexican Riviera, you would have lots of people who had been to the ports before and want to have lunch on board. We do that quite a bit on our Mexico cruises, especially since our kids have food allergies and feel more comfortable eating on the ship.

I have some info:

The policy will be enacted fleetwide (not sure when) but will be on an itinerary by itinerary basis. They are using historical data on meals served to determine a usage rate, where the history indicates that usage will drop below a certain point for a given port/time of year, they will not offer lunch in the MDR. On those days, additional staff will be posted to the HC.

This is primarily a waste/cost cutting measure as I understand it. There was apparently as much as 50-60 percent spoilage on some routes/ports. (To head off the comments about making less, given the number of entree options, they have to make a certain number of each to make sure there is enough available)

In the longer term they are apparently considering offering less elaborate lunch meal service in the MDR on port days (less entree options for example), they are still working out the details.

I have some info:

The policy will be enacted fleetwide (not sure when) but will be on an itinerary by itinerary basis. They are using historical data on meals served to determine a usage rate, where the history indicates that usage will drop below a certain point for a given port/time of year, they will not offer lunch in the MDR. On those days, additional staff will be posted to the HC.

This is primarily a waste/cost cutting measure as I understand it. There was apparently as much as 50-60 percent spoilage on some routes/ports. (To head off the comments about making less, given the number of entree options, they have to make a certain number of each to make sure there is enough available)

In the longer term they are apparently considering offering less elaborate lunch meal service in the MDR on port days (less entree options for example), they are still working out the details.

I hope Princess ultimately implements the latter option and at least offers lunch in the dinner room but with less entree options. I prefer the quiet, unrushed atmosphere of the dining room to the buffet any day.

It does sound like the better option but right now their ordering/menu planning system doesn't support it or something.

I would like to see the MDR stay open but if the spoilage is that bad, I can see why they would choose not to offer it. That's a LOT of money lost on food and transport costs AND the waste has to be processed.

I hope Princess ultimately implements the latter option and at least offers lunch in the dinner room but with less entree options. I prefer the quiet, unrushed atmosphere of the dining room to the buffet any day.

I'm really disappointed to hear Princess plans to go ahead with eliminating the MDR lunch on port days. For me, that perk set them apart from other cruiselines and was a major positive in Princess' column. If it ends up being a choice between eliminating or downsizing the lunch, I hope it's the latter.

I'm glad our next Princess cruise has a lot of sea days because I really can't stand the Horizon Court. :(

We much prefer the dining room for lunch, especially on port days when we choose to stay on board, which turns out to be whole lot of port days on the Caribbean itineraries. So, I am sorry to learn that this is under consideration.

I do hope that Princess will have the dining room remain open for luncheon on port days, especially on those ships without an International Cafe.

I sail on Sat and someone on our roll call mentioned this and I didn't believe it. Her info was the MDR was totally closed for lunch but only on port days at least makes a bit of sense.

Her info also states that the buffet will also now shut down fully at 11pm and only room service be offered after that time.

Just checked. The HC hours will also be a ship and itinerary based decision based on utilization. In short, if they are wasting more food then they are using they will close a venue to keep costs lower (the other alternative being more fee for service and higher fares).

A lot of the attention is on oil prices (which are a factor!) but food prices, especially on staples have been rising a lot as well over the past year. My friend who owns the local diner/bakery says baking ingredients have come closed to doubling for him over the last three years so he has reduced variety and they now ask if you want bread/rolls instead of always bringing a basket.

I was told that on a sailing in AK this june, they recorded 47 meals served in the MDR for lunch during a port day. I can easily see why they would close it.

I sail on Sat and someone on our roll call mentioned this and I didn't believe it. Her info was the MDR was totally closed for lunch but only on port days at least makes a bit of sense.

Her info also states that the buffet will also now shut down fully at 11pm and only room service be offered after that time.

This is not good at all! We have a family friend...a Princess Platinum member...who is a transplant recipient and has a compromised immune system. He cannot and must not dine at any buffet, ever! If the dining room is closed, I suppose room service would be the next option and would hope the food handling would be as sterile as in the main kitchen.

Princess prides itself on the extreme cleanliness of their kitchens and food handling. And that is why a Princess cruise is a logical and safe choice.

It is the passengers in the buffet line who pose the greatest threat. I hope that Princess rethinks their decision.

We, too, would be very disappointed to find the MDR closed on port days. We cruise for the enjoyment of the ship and often stay aboard while the ship is in port. Hopefully our next cruise will meet the criteria for the MDR to be open.

This goes back to the whole CC not being representative of the general population issue. Frequent cruisers are more likely to stay on board in ports because they have been there and done that. Thus, they would prefer the MDR be open.

But in reality they are a very small part of people actually on the ships. It costs literally thousands of dollars to prepare for a meal on a 2500 pax ship. Some of those costs are fixed. For example, for health reasons, every dish put out must be washed before being sent out again, even if not used. Prep work has to be done, etc.

If only 46 people show up for a meal, or even 200, the cost per person is way above normal. This leaves you with 2 options. Reduce cost per person by reducing options or increase revenue by raising fares or adding an 'in port dining charge'.

Everyone may 'prefer' having the MDR open on port days or a full 24 hour HC but are you prepared to back it up with everyone's wallet.

You can't have it both ways by always looking for the lowest possible price and stalking price drops and then expect the cruise line not to look to balance the revenue stream.

If only 46 people show up for a meal, or even 200, the cost per person is way above normal. This leaves you with 2 options. Reduce cost per person by reducing options or increase revenue by raising fares or adding an 'in port dining charge'.

Everyone may 'prefer' having the MDR open on port days or a full 24 hour HC but are you prepared to back it up with everyone's wallet.

You can't have it both ways by always looking for the lowest possible price and stalking price drops and then expect the cruise line not to look to balance the revenue stream.

I have to reluctantly agree with you. We like to eat in the MDR at ports we've been to before, but I do tend to notice that there are almost as many waiters hanging around as there are diners. And I'm definitely one to be "stalking price drops" :) so I understand the need to, as you say, balance the revenue stream. I'd rather go to the Horizon Court or the poolside grill/pizza instead of paying an in port dining charge. Or I'll consider the Int'l Cafe.

I have to reluctantly agree with you. We like to eat in the MDR at ports we've been to before, but I do tend to notice that there are almost as many waiters hanging around as there are diners. And I'm definitely one to be "stalking price drops" :) so I understand the need to, as you say, balance the revenue stream. I'd rather go to the Horizon Court or the poolside grill/pizza instead of paying an in port dining charge. Or I'll consider the Int'l Cafe.

Perhaps a small surcharge for eating in the dining room on port days would take care of the problem. ;)

We tend to avoid the buffet at all costs as well, but I have to say I do understand this decision. The waste must be very significant on some days when you have so few people in the dining room on port days. And I do find that where we used to go to the dining room for lunch frequently, now we do opt for the grill or IC more often since lunch in the dining room can be so drawn out. Sometimes you just want a quick bite to tide you over until afternoon tea! :p They better never mess with my afternoon tea!!!!

It costs literally thousands of dollars to prepare for a meal on a 2500 pax ship. Some of those costs are fixed. For example, for health reasons, every dish put out must be washed before being sent out again, even if not used. Prep work has to be done, etc.

Princess has a very good idea of how many people will show up for lunch in the dining room when at specific ports, so they are not prepping for 2500 people, but for a number that is probably quite accurate.

Using industrial cooking equipment, its not that simple. It's actually quite difficult to make and prep smaller batches of things below a certain point, and other costs don't scale down.

I don't have access to calculate the actual numbers, but there will be a certain minimum cost per meal service(staffing, food, dishwashing (yes, they could not set half the dining room or something but that would look awful) that there is no practical way to go below. Based on what I know of general industry numbers and adjusting for lower wages, that would probably work out to 200 or greater patrons per service to be cost effective.

The point is it certainly can be done, you can prep for 5 if you want, but it may not make sense for it to be done.

Princess has a very good idea of how many people will show up for lunch in the dining room when at specific ports, so they are not prepping for 2500 people, but for a number that is probably quite accurate.

I don't have access to calculate the actual numbers, but there will be a certain minimum cost per meal service(staffing, food, dishwashing (yes, they could not set half the dining room or something but that would look awful) that there is no practical way to go below. Based on what I know of general industry numbers and adjusting for lower wages, that would probably work out to 200 or greater patrons per service to be cost effective.

The point is it certainly can be done, you can prep for 5 if you want, but it may not make sense for it to be done.

When doing B2B cruises they only set up part of the MDR on change over days and it looks OK (they also do similar for afternoon tea) - if they can cater for a small number then why not at other times.

Would be very interested to know where Loonbeam gets information from.

I wonder how many people they serve? If over 200 are expected, I could see it.

As far as info, I worked for an IT company that does work for Princess and made some friends while working on projects there. As time goes by and they move on I will slowly start to lose access...

When doing B2B cruises they only set up part of the MDR on change over days and it looks OK (they also do similar for afternoon tea) - if they can cater for a small number then why not at other times.

Would be very interested to know where Loonbeam gets information from.

Archived