Beware taxi prices in Rome

gillyd42

Took a taxi from the Vatican to Piazza Navona with very nice chap, very informative/funny although a little crazy with the driving.

Arrived at PN and charged 18euro for less than 10 minute ride, driver told husband (who was in the back with kids) that it was safe to get out taxi. I got my cash out my bag only had 50euro note and gave him that, took my eyes off him for a split second and he had changed it to a 10euro note. His attitude towards me turned aggressive as he demanded the the 18!. Stumped up and got out to tell hubby, as he drove away at speed. Felt really upset and stupid that i had probably fell for the oldest trick in the book!

to top it all taxi back to Vatican from same place 5euro 40cents!

I appreciate not all taxi drivers are the same but to avoid scenario, make sure you have low denominations of currency. Experience really left a bad taste in my mouth and left me a little disappointed.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I always make sure to have plenty of small bills and 1/2 euro coins when using regular taxis so they can't pull that on me. I also say the amount of each bill as I hand it to them.

However, when I use a private service (we use RomeCabs for all our transfers), I don't worry about it. I just hand them a fifty.

This is a very good heads up. You should also make sure that you get into a 'legal' cab....from a cab rank if possible. Lots of ghost cars running about. And...ensure that the meter is ON and that in daytime it is not turned to the night time rate (50 percent higher).

Many years ago, we took a cab from wherever we were to around the Vatican. Well, the price was right, but everytime I looked UP, the meter had changed--the cab driver just kept letting the meter run until--???? ANyway--it was 8euros or 8000lira--no big deal--but I did tell him to STOP THE METER.

Some good advice is to take a photo of the number plate with your phone.

What a good idea. We've been ripped off in so many countries (different scam every time:mad:) and I don't consider I'm that naive (or maybe I am!)

We learned long ago that if you expect to have a dispute of any kind, make certain that your party and all of your bags etc. are out of the cab before doing so. We have had cabs speed away in Istanbul and Rio during disputes, usually after we have asked the drive to call the police.

Some good advice is to take a photo of the number plate with your phone.

That is a excellent idea. You also could take a picture once inside the cab of his license. Thanks! Now I just hope I remember.

To the OP ....Sorry that happened to you.

OMG, we had the same thing happen to my friend. We had used two cabs and they were in front and he told me the exact same story. Only thing is, he knew he gave him a 50 and he wouldn't get out until he got his change.

Also, only use them when they have the meter turned on, we were ripped off more than once by the Rome taxi drivers overcharging us and then we were told about the meters. The day we were leaving and the meter was turned on was much cheaper than what we paid the day before.

What a terrible way to treat people visiting your country/city!

• 3 weeks later...
OMG, we had the same thing happen to my friend. We had used two cabs and they were in front and he told me the exact same story. Only thing is, he knew he gave him a 50 and he wouldn't get out until he got his change.

Also, only use them when they have the meter turned on, we were ripped off more than once by the Rome taxi drivers overcharging us and then we were told about the meters. The day we were leaving and the meter was turned on was much cheaper than what we paid the day before.

What a terrible way to treat people visiting your country/city!

And people wonder why I always try and take the train... and tell me what a hassle local buses and trains are -- NOT!.. I've had way more hassle with corrupt taxi drivers, and the same tricks happen in the USA and Canada as happen in Italy. Google "Taxi Longhaul Vegas" you'll see it's a well known problem

Archived