What is the train ride like to Berlin?

We are debating about whether to take a private tour to Berlin by car or the ship's tour by train. My husband wants a scenic, fun train ride. Also, he was a little bit concerned about the speeding on the autobahn. We are completely new to Germany. Any ideas? We are traveling with teens.

We are debating about whether to take a private tour to Berlin by car or the ship's tour by train. My husband wants a scenic, fun train ride. Also, he was a little bit concerned about the speeding on the autobahn. We are completely new to Germany. Any ideas? We are traveling with teens.

I can't help allay your husband's fears, as I've never visited Germany (until next week!!!), however, all I would say is that it is a holiday, and not a time to get stressed. If the financial side is a contributary deciding factor, you could also consider private tours.

Have a good time!

Martin

I really don't consider riding the trains in Germany to be fun, unless I'm on an ICE (high speed) train. I am not sure what the trip to Berlin would be from Warnemunde/Rostock as I have only done it from Hannover or Heidleberg. Are you sold on going to Berlin? The area that you dock is also wonderful and interesting, there is the port of Warnedmunde and the town itself is just a few minutes away from the docks by foot. You can enjoy the Baltic coast, go swimming, see the quiant captain's houses by the canal and have a leisurely day just having a break from the go-go-go at the other ports.

Also Rostock is nice if you are docking in that city. It was a walled city and you can still see some of the 'towers' there. Wismar is also a very old city, a cathedral and several interesting churches. Remember all of these towns were East Germany so you will see some remnants from those days as well. As for a longer train journey there are easy trips to make to Schwerin that has a castle, there is the "Molli Train" a narrow gauge (steam, I think) that goes tofrom Bad Doberan.

I suggest you look at the thread started by Rostocker who has great information on how to get around that area. For a train fan, I'd go with the Molli Train, we saw it when I was spending a week in the German Baltic area and it looked fun. Do it one way and take the bus or train back to your port town.

7655824a27.jpg

Have a great time!

Thanks for the info.

Yes, my husband and 2 of my children (14 and 15) are absolutely set on Berlin. They all love history and this is going to be the highlight of the cruise for them.

Then I have two younger girls (11, 13) that would not enjoy Berline due to the long ride and intensity of the day so I am going to stay back with them and I have to choose what we will do.

Sauer-kraut - What do you think would be of the most interest to two "girly" girls that probably won't get too much out of the history end of it but would probably love anything castle related. Would Schwerin castle be a good option? How long by train or private tour car would that be? Then I guess the beach would be nice at the end of the day.

OP if you post that last part of your question over on Anni's thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1318728 She will be able to assist you with ideas and travel times, etc. She lives in Rostock, is female and might know of other things girly there are to do in the area.

I hope you all have a wonderful time!

First up - I haven't done this particular train trip yet, but have travelled by train a fair bit in Europe generally and Germany specifically. I've also planned out what we are going to do when we have our 16 hour stopover in Warnemunde next year.

German trains have an excellent reputation for reliable, safe service. So travelling on your own should be reasonably reliable in terms of getting you back to the ship in time - as long as you don't miss your train. The train is more comfortable than travelling by coach and a lot more comfortable than car - you can walk around, sit at a table (nice for playing cards), wonder down to the restaurant for a snack or a drink, use the toilets. I'm not a fan of Autobahn rest stop toilets, so that's a big one for me! Trains in Germany are pretty easy to navigate and you'll usually be able to find someone who can help if you don't know which train to get on. The only drawback is that there are at least 2 steps in the journey. You have to get to Warnemunde (by bus or perhaps by ship shuttle / walk), then train to Rostock, then train to Berlin. Not knowing exactly when you'll get off the ship makes it hard to pre-purchase tickets without either a) losing too much of your precious time in Berlin or b) being overly optimistic and risking missing the train. Once I checked the pricing, I decided to go with the ships "Berlin at leisure" tour. The train tickets purchased independently were going to cost about $20 less, (out of a total of $300 or so) but if I made a mistake with the booking, it would be up to me to fix it. Normally that's fine, but when we're talking about getting stuck 3 hours from the boat, it's not something that's easily fixed so i'm stumping up the extra on this occassion for the guarantee that the ship will wait if something goes wrong.

Long story short - the train is great, but if you aren't a confident experienced traveller, it might be a good occasion to at least check out what the ship is offering.

Thanks Thornbird. That gives me a lot of consider. I do see that our ship has just the transportation to Berlin and it is $299 per person. The transportation plus all day tour and lunch (Berlin & Sachsenhausen) is$359 per person. For only $60 more, I am tempted to do the guided one.

It's been a few years since I did the train ride, but from my memory it wasn't particularly memorable. But there's nothing bad about it either. It's mostly a decent countryside/small town views. I don't recall it getting urban until you get close to Berlin. After a while, I got a little bored and read a book that I had brought along. But once I was in Berlin, I thoroughly enjoyed my short time there and consider the trip worth every hour of the train ride there and back since I may never get there again. I too am a history buff and wanted to see things for myself.

First up - I haven't done this particular train trip yet, but have travelled by train a fair bit in Europe generally and Germany specifically. I've also planned out what we are going to do when we have our 16 hour stopover in Warnemunde next year.

As a frequent traveller between Berlin and Rostock I would just like to make a few comments.

German trains have an excellent reputation for reliable, safe service. So travelling on your own should be reasonably reliable in terms of getting you back to the ship in time - as long as you don't miss your train.

Agreed that the normal RE service trains between the two places are reliable and safe but there is on-going track-work on this line as it is being upgraded, so if you travel independently check the schedule and be prepared for delays.

The train is more comfortable than travelling by coach and a lot more comfortable than car - you can walk around, sit at a table (nice for playing cards), wonder down to the restaurant for a snack or a drink, use the toilets.

Modern DB trains are very comfortable with all the amenities described, even the REs have air-conditioning and a snack bar, but the trains which are chartered by the cruise companies are older, non-airconditioned, compartment-only trains which DB stopped using several years ago. There are no restaurants etc. Passengers receive a 'snack-box'. They are also slower than the normal trains as they must fit in with both the passenger and freight schedule and this is a busy route.

I'm not a fan of Autobahn rest stop toilets, so that's a big one for me!

Why? They outclass most of ours! (How do I know? I am an Australian who lived and travelled in a motor-home, all over Australia, for three years.)

Trains in Germany are pretty easy to navigate and you'll usually be able to find someone who can help if you don't know which train to get on.

Agreed, however the new Main Station in Berlin is fantastic but huge and most of the people you meet there are visitors who are as lost as you are!

The only drawback is that there are at least 2 steps in the journey. You have to get to Warnemunde (by bus or perhaps by ship shuttle / walk), then train to Rostock, then train to Berlin.

Not really a problem. The station in Warnemuende is alongside the cruise terminal and Rostock Central, 20 mins train ride away, is an easy station to navigate.

Not knowing exactly when you'll get off the ship makes it hard to pre-purchase tickets without either a) losing too much of your precious time in Berlin or b) being overly optimistic and risking missing the train.

Agreed, but the other problem with travelling independently is the timing of the trains. The service to Berlin is two hourly. Unless you are with HAL you cannot get the direct train from Warnemunde, other lines do not dock in time, The next train is 8.34 from Rostock, still a bit of an ask if you dock at 7 or 7.30 and impossible with Celebrity docking at 9. Same with the return jouney, the 6.45 will get you back by 10.00, just; the 8.45 is too late and the 4.45 would give you maximum 5 hours in Berlin.

Once I checked the pricing, I decided to go with the ships "Berlin at leisure" tour. The train tickets purchased independently were going to cost about $20 less, (out of a total of $300 or so) but if I made a mistake with the booking, it would be up to me to fix it.

Using the normal trains the standard cost is 73.20euros per person return but by using Lander day tickets it can be reduced to about 70euros for up to 5 people travelling together.

Normally that's fine, but when we're talking about getting stuck 3 hours from the boat, it's not something that's easily fixed so i'm stumping up the extra on this occassion for the guarantee that the ship will wait if something goes wrong.

And that is the main risk to visiting Berlin under your own steam as it were. Anything can go wrong, especially with trains and track-work, and while the ship will wait (and frequently has to - over an hour in some cases) for the official tours it will not wait if you are DIY.

So if you must go to Berlin my advice would be to look at an independent tour company, travelling by coach. A first-time traveller in Germany may enjoy the ship's train trip even though it is through very flat, non-scenic countryside but, from the reports I have heard, anyone who has experienced our modern DB trains would be disappointed.

As detailed above comprehensively by Anni, taking the train to Berlin from Warnemunde for the day is a bad idea. Why don't you consider one the of the private tour companies? We spent a fantastic day in Berlin on June 12 with SPB-Tours for a per person cost of $150; I organized a group of 16 through my roll call, the bus was very comfortable, and our guide Heather, an American, was one of the best private guides I ever have had the pleasure of spending my touring day.

This is one of the options I am considering. I was going to post on their roll calls to see if there were other families with teens (just want to make sure people don't mind having teens along). I have sent SPB Tours two emails already over a week or more span and I haven't heard back from them. Is this normal?

I have sent SPB Tours two emails already over a week or more span and I haven't heard back from them. Is this normal?

No, I never waited more than 24 hours for a response to any emails. However, all my email arrangements were made off-season; I booked the St. Petersburg tour in November and the Berlin tour in the spring as I collected the 16 from my roll call, and I assume that they are inundated from June through August. Your trip is next year, right?

Archived