Jewel or Navigator???

I really need some help! After booking our 1st cruise last week (Serenade Southern Caribbean), I have been feeling stressed about money all week. The cruise ended up being a little more by the time I booked it, and airfare continues to climb. My husband and I have been talking it over and we both just feel that moving to a cheaper option will help us feel less stress and will still accomplish what we are looking for. We want a getaway to celebrate 10 years of marriage! Both of these options will be significantly cheaper, especially since they leave out of Florida rather than San Juan. While I'm really really sad that I won't be on the itinerary of my dreams, I'm trying to look on the bright side and make the best choice for us.

I really want at least one port with nice beaches. I also want a ship that is somewhat nice/elegant. We looked at a cruise on Freedom, with an eastern itinerary (really what I want), but that's not quite the ship I'm looking for.

Option #1- Jewel of the Seas, 5 nights, stops in Cozumel and Costa Maya. Since this ship is in the same class as the Serenade, I am confident we will enjoy the ship. A little uncertain about the ports.

Option #2- Navigator, 6 nights, stops in Falmouth, Grand Caymon, and Labadee. Don't really know much about the ship. Don't really care about Jamaica, but the other ports look nice.

How do I decide??? Any input from those who've been on the ships, been to these ports, etc is appreciated. The Western itinerary has never really appealed to me, so I'd like to know which are the nicest of the ports. And I"m probably just overthinking this whole thing and just need to make a decision!

ETA- We are going the end of January, so I'm not too worried about kids and spring breakers.

I'd go Navigator, for GC and Labadee beach days...plus, the adult Solarium is open roofed..so you can sun in an adult atmosphere.

On Jewel, the solarium roof is almost always closed, so if you wish to tan, you'll be out on the deck with families and kids....

Haven't been on Jewel, so I can't compare...but we really enjoyed our cruise on the Navigator...It is a great ship! Everything was nice and clean, staff was fantastic! We are going on the Explorer (which is the same class) next month...We loved Labadee...we did a zipline excursion and relaxed on the beach...was very nice...we didn't go to the Grand Cayman but I have heard great things...I am sure you would have fun!

You can't go wrong with either ship, they are both nice. We have done them both numerous times. As far as the ports, its a toss up. Cozumel is fine has lots of shopping and iGrand Caymon is fun also. I say go either and you will be fine but 6 nights is better than 5 in my book.

The Jewel every day for me.

I love Voyager Class, but I was on the Jewel at Harwich a couple of weeks ago and it is a truly stunning ship. The Radiance Class is my favourite class of RCI ship, and bear in mind you booked the Serenade so you were happy with Radiance class spec anyway.

Thanks for everyone's input so far...keep it coming!

What I wish was that the Jewel could do the Nav's itinerary. That would make me a happy camper. Mexico just makes me nervous, so I'm a bit hesitant on that one. Plus I don't think the beaches are as nice, but I could be completely wrong!

Ok, this is strange. When I check cruistt.com, Navigator is listed for being in the Mediterranean in Jan '12. But Royal's website is listing her for a West. Caribbean cruise leaving on the 29th. Should I be concerned?

Yes, inless the ship is stretched I think you have a problem.

Jimbo:)

I'd go Navigator, for GC and Labadee beach days...plus, the adult Solarium is open roofed..so you can sun in an adult atmosphere.

On Jewel, the solarium roof is almost always closed, so if you wish to tan, you'll be out on the deck with families and kids....

Good post considering the OPs specifications. On her other choice, I haven't been to a great beach in Cozumel yet, but I would like to try Jewell or other Radiance class someday.

I believe Navigator is coming back to the US earlier than originally scheduled so the RCI website is correct and up to date. While there are some who claim that the closed glass roof of the Solarium somehow filters out the UV rays that cause sunburns and tanning, I have yet to see any convincing evidence that such is the case and I know plenty of people who were sunburned during their stays in the Jewel's solarium, so that ought not to be a serious concern (and really exposing your skin to the sun's rays really doesn't do it or you any favors).

I guess I would have to know what it was about the Freedom that you didn't care for because Navigator is very similar to Freedom only slightly smaller and without a few features (flow rider, H2O zone etc.)Like the Freedom it has a Royal Promenade and , to my mind at least, seems designed to draw passengers inside the ship and away from any connection to the sea. It is that constant connection to the outside and the ocean that makes Jewel our favorite ship.

I must say that we originally booked a four night New Year's Eve cruise on Jewel until we discovered that for approximately the same money we could take a 9 night NYE cruise on Navigator, so the decision was much less difficult than the one you face. We have sailed on both ships and loved both, so you probably can't make a wrong decision.:)

Ok, this is strange. When I check cruistt.com, Navigator is listed for being in the Mediterranean in Jan '12. But Royal's website is listing her for a West. Caribbean cruise leaving on the 29th. Should I be concerned?

No, they changed the schedule for NOS back from the Med quite a while ago; cruisett probably has not made the switch yet. I know this because we LOVE NOS and would have sailed her again; except when we booked on board she was still scheduled for the Med, so we booked Oasis to try something different. Then they bring NOS back for a wonderful 6 night we would have LOVED. Oh well, we are all in for Oasis now , and eager to revisit some favorite Southern Ports but I have no doubt we will probably not find the extra expense worth it to do her again and will likely go back to Voyager Class ( of which NOS is on).

What we like is the combination of being not so large with the Royal Promenade, which find to be a really lovely gathering space. Also agree with previous posters; the solarium on Voyager class is delightful! Also, we particularly like Labadee and Cozumel as ports.

I believe Navigator is coming back to the US earlier than originally scheduled so the RCI website is correct and up to date. While there are some who claim that the closed glass roof of the Solarium somehow filters out the UV rays that cause sunburns and tanning, I have yet to see any convincing evidence that such is the case and I know plenty of people who were sunburned during their stays in the Jewel's solarium, so that ought not to be a serious concern (and really exposing your skin to the sun's rays really doesn't do it or you any favors).

I guess I would have to know what it was about the Freedom that you didn't care for because Navigator is very similar to Freedom only slightly smaller and without a few features (flow rider, H2O zone etc.)Like the Freedom it has a Royal Promenade and , to my mind at least, seems designed to draw passengers inside the ship and away from any connection to the sea. It is that constant connection to the outside and the ocean that makes Jewel our favorite ship.

I must say that we originally booked a four night New Year's Eve cruise on Jewel until we discovered that for approximately the same money we could take a 9 night NYE cruise on Navigator, so the decision was much less difficult than the one you face. We have sailed on both ships and loved both, so you probably can't make a wrong decision.:)

I think it's the Royal Promenade that I don't like. It feels like a mall too me, at least from the pics I've seen. I fell in love with the Serenade and the radiance class of ships based on people's pics and reviews. The rock climbing walls, flow riders, and H2O zones look great if we were traveling with our kids, but I don't think they'd be necessary for a romantic cruise that we are looking for. Honestly, I'm sold on the Jewel as a ship, it's just the itinerary that keeps tripping me up.

No, they changed the schedule for NOS back from the Med quite a while ago; cruisett probably has not made the switch yet. I know this because we LOVE NOS and would have sailed her again; except when we booked on board she was still scheduled for the Med, so we booked Oasis to try something different. Then they bring NOS back for a wonderful 6 night we would have LOVED. Oh well, we are all in for Oasis now , and eager to revisit some favorite Southern Ports but I have no doubt we will probably not find the extra expense worth it to do her again and will likely go back to Voyager Class ( of which NOS is on).

What we like is the combination of being not so large with the Royal Promenade, which find to be a really lovely gathering space. Also agree with previous posters; the solarium on Voyager class is delightful! Also, we particularly like Labadee and Cozumel as ports.

Thanks for confirming that for me. I figured that since Royal was trying to sell me a cabin on it, that cruisett had bad or out of date info.

You might want to consider Eurodam(Holland America)

Sailing Date: January 28, 2012

1.Grand Turk, Turks And Caicos

2.San Juan, Puerto Rico

3.St. Thomas, U.s.v.i.

4.Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Better food and great service.

btw....January 21st is less money then the 28th for a balcony.

Jimbo:)

I think it's the Royal Promenade that I don't like. It feels like a mall too me, at least from the pics I've seen. I fell in love with the Serenade and the radiance class of ships based on people's pics and reviews. The rock climbing walls, flow riders, and H2O zones look great if we were traveling with our kids, but I don't think they'd be necessary for a romantic cruise that we are looking for. Honestly, I'm sold on the Jewel as a ship, it's just the itinerary that keeps tripping me up.

I tend to agree with you and also feel it is a shame that Jewel is doing shorter rather than longer cruises, but we have found a few good beaches in Cozumel, and we so love the Jewel that we are on her for four of our next six cruises.

I'd pick NAV for the itinerary. I haven't been on either ship yet, but am booked on the Navigator for February. I have done both itineraries.

Both Grand Cayman and Labadee will be nice beach days and is a nice combo for a W. Caribbean cruise. You could possibly make Falmouth into a beach day as well by doing one of the resorts I've read about somewhere...if that interests you.

Grand Cayman--go to Seven Mile Beach. Royal Palms is an awesome place to hang out--GC has the most beautiful beach, IMO. It's my favorite in the Caribbean.

http://www.reefgrill.net/netcam/index.html

There's also a live webcam via that site.

If you have any more questions, let me know!

Reading through the posts on this thread, I'm struck by how various features appeal to one person, but not another.

For instance, I absolutely love the Solarium on the Jewel because the ambiance is so relaxing. I never even cared about the sliding roof being shut or open...just being in the Jewel's Solarium was a treat.

As much as I love the Solarium, I don't care for the atrium feature on the Jewel, but absolutely love the Royal Promenade on the Freedom and Voyager-class ships. As you can guess from my sig, I'd sail on the Navigator in a heartbeat over the Jewel! I personally feel that I can navigate (pun intended) the Navigator more easily because of the Promenade, than I can the Jewel, and I enjoy strolling down the Promenade late at night to grab a sandwich and coffee at the Cafe Promenade.

That said, I'm sailing on the Jewel in April and am still looking forward to it, because I'll be on a cruise!

I've found that private beaches are the way to go in Cozumel, unless you plan to snorkel or scuba dive. I always go to the all-inclusive Nanchi Cocum resort because it's so beautiful there. Friends of mine do other all-inclusives in Cozumel and are just as happy with their choice.

Whatever choice you make, I'm sure you'll find something or lots of things that will make your cruise perfect. Good luck and happy cruising!

Archived