Opinion on best cruise line for Alaska

Xystence

I want to book a cruise to Alaska for my girlfriend and myself for next year and am wondering everyones thoughts on the best line for this trip. I have been told many times that Princess is the way to go but I am looking for a brooding point of view.

Thank you for all opinions!

Holland America and Princess pretty much own Alaska, and have the largest number of ships there, each with 6 or 7. That gives you the largest selection of options. We have sailed with both in Alaska and elsewhere, and have become HAL loyalists. Many other cruise lines have much smaller numbers of ships there, so somewhat more limited choices. I see you have been on Carnival- think they have 2 ships there. RCCL- 3 or 4.

Brooding?

As we don't know anything about you, hard to recommend a cruise line. But, most (not all) Alaska cruises are 7 day cruises, and will have a similar clientelle. Lots of families (after late May and before late August).

Personally, for maximum scenary, we like the Vancouver-Seward (or vice versa) route.

Since you've done several Carnival cruises, I would stick with them. Previous poster notwithstanding, we hated HAL, but maybe it was just that ship. I agree, Seward to Vancouver was a wonderful route and try to get a cabin on the port side.

I'd suggest checking out the member reviews and the various cruise line boards to get a feeling for the different choices.

I'm not sure what you mean by "brooding point of view".

We recently took HAL's Zuiderdam to Alaska, and enjoyed the cruise very much (review here), even though the ship is not very "happening".

I want to book a cruise to Alaska for my girlfriend and myself for next year and am wondering everyones thoughts on the best line for this trip. I have been told many times that Princess is the way to go but I am looking for a brooding point of view.

First, I'll admit that I'm NOT a very experienced cruiser. I've been on exactly TWO cruises.....one on HAL, and the other on Princess in Alaska. (I enjoyed them both, and didn't see enough difference between them to really recommend one over the other....for what it's worth).

But to me, I think the choice of cruise line is less important than the choice of itinerary. First, figure out what you want to see....Which glaciers, which ports, any land tours that interest you, etc. THEN find the ship and cruise line that goes to most of the places you want to be.

It's true that HAL and Princess are the "kings" of Alaska, offering the most options. This is particularly true of pre- and post- cruise land tours.

I found the Frommer's guide that is specific to Alaska cruises to be a great way to at least see all of the options. They do a good job of comparing cruise lines as well. You should be able to find the book online, or at a local bookstore.

Now, my purely personal view, which may mean nothing to you: Try to go to the Hubbard glacier. It was definitely the highlight of our cruise for us, and the one thing we will definitely remember for years to come. :)

if you can't find one that goes to Hubbard, make sure you go to Glacier Bay and College Fjord. We didn't go to Hubbard, but I've read from other posters that sometimes you can't get to it due to the ice. It would be a shame if you planned on that as your major glacier and then couldn't do it. If you do the Kenai fjord boat ride you go to Aialich glacier which is magnificent, but let's face, they're all magnificent! We were on the Statendam and the only time things were fantastic was when we were off the ship! Only downside to whole trip was we had to keep getting back on the boat.:eek:

This gives me a lot of good resources to use. I think for the first cruise to Alaska I take I will probably go for Princess as this is the most recommended anywhere I have gotten.

Thank you all for the opinions!

I would instead suggest how you want to occupy your Alaska time, and what touring will be your priority to experience. Then find a crusie itinerary that allows for it. This would also involve your timing. Heading to the library and taking out Alaska travel books would be of great benefit, especially Alaska By Cruiseship.

I have sailed Alaska on all the major lines, HAL, Princess, NCL, Celebrity, Carnival, RCI. ALL certainly will offer a great cruise. :) The details, however, may not be familiar to you, so, look up the routes, glacier differences, ports and what they each offer (there are only 6 Alaska ports visited on the 7 day cruises), then look at the itineraries that best work for you.

I would instead suggest how you want to occupy your Alaska time, and what touring will be your priority to experience. Then find a crusie itinerary that allows for it. This would also involve your timing. Heading to the library and taking out Alaska travel books would be of great benefit, especially Alaska By Cruiseship.

I have sailed Alaska on all the major lines, HAL, Princess, NCL, Celebrity, Carnival, RCI. ALL certainly will offer a great cruise. :) The details, however, may not be familiar to you, so, look up the routes, glacier differences, ports and what they each offer (there are only 6 Alaska ports visited on the 7 day cruises), then look at the itineraries that best work for you.

good advice, budget queen. How many times have you been to Alaska?

Another good book resource is Frommer's Alaska cruises and ports of call. We were on a 7 day cruise and only did 3 ports: Haines/Skagway; Juneau and Ketchikan; but we did both Glacier Bay and College Fjord and I wouldn't want to have missed either of them.

Let me toss this caveat out there: I'm a former Alaskan (for years, some in Anchorage, a little in Fairbanks and years and years in Juneau and I've been to almost every town and village in Alaska via my job with the Alaska Dept of Fish & Game), I'm very outdoorsy and like to get away from the cruise crowds when we find a wonderful port to explore, so they may NOT be your (or your girlfriend's) cup if tea, but my suggestion is ...

... the Alaska Marine Highway system in the summer time, especially if you buy the "Sea Alaska" pass. It's a one way pass that you can use either north or southbound, is for walk-on passengers who want the chance to embark /disembark at multiple port stops, while traveling the Inside Passage between Prince Rupert, B.C., and Haines or Skagway in North Lynn Canal. You can make up to three stops, and explore the communities of Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Sitka, Juneau or Haines for only $160 (that's something like 25% less than buying tickets for each leg of the route, which you can also do).

The Alaska ferries actually do have "cabins" but they (the ships AND cabins) are rustic (but clean). This is NOT a cruise ship but if you really want to turn a "cruise" through the inside passage of Alaska into a HUGE adventure, this is the way to go. I've never booked a cabin but instead either sleep on board (from Seattle to the first town in Southeast Alaska) under the cover on the top deck in chaise loungers ... bring your sleeping bag) or just travel the system by day and stay overnight in each small town.

I was just on the ferry system last month and it was some of the best whale watching (even saw an Orca!) I've seen in SE Alaska over the years. The best part is that you don't have the cruise crowds and, believe me, the small town folks in these ports are so much more laid back and happier to see you when you're not accompanied by thousands of other tourists. This summer, we met a family from Germany who flew into Seattle and boarded there with their rental car, and they were taking two weeks to explore the various towns of the Inside Passage (obviously not on the limited Sea Pass) but they just bought tickets to wherever they wanted to visit.

If you're the adventurous types, this is an "insider's" secret that most people don't ever try out. But it's a blast. The folks who are on these ferries are friendly and helpful, there is food (the coffee is mysteriously great!!!) and bathrooms, and all of that.

Just another option. Food for thought!!!

Whatever you pick, enjoy your cruise and Southeast Alaska! :)

We had looked into this when planning our trip to Alaska and it sounds like a fantastic way to travel Alaska. Only reason we didn't do this is that we're seniors and felt it might be too strenuous for us:) If you guys have the time and the stamina, I think this would be a wonderful way to go!

We had looked into this when planning our trip to Alaska and it sounds like a fantastic way to travel Alaska. Only reason we didn't do this is that we're seniors and felt it might be too strenuous for us:) If you guys have the time and the stamina, I think this would be a wonderful way to go!

If it helps at all, the ferries that I've been on actually had elevators and decent overnight cabins. :)

There are also taxis at the ferry terminals for when you get off, which you can just have take you into town or your hotel or wherever your adventure begins! :)

There are many varieties of passengers on the ferries today and I think they do a good job at accommodating many levels of abilities. I don't, however, know if they have handicap accessible cabins. If you ever think of going the Alaska Marine Highway system route, be sure to give 'em a call to see if you would feel comfortable getting on and off, and getting about town.

I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. :)

If you plan to do a cruisetour, so that you can see some of Interior Alaska in addition to the cruise, I would recommend Princess or HAL--Princess gets the edge if you want to see Denali National Park/Fairbanks etc. while HAL has more options if you want to explore the gold rush country north of Skagway. If you're just doing the cruise, then I would agree that your should research the ports and select the cruise ship that fits your preferred itinerary. You'll have a wonderful time no matter what your choose. We did our first cruisetour to Alaska three years ago with Princess and are going back in 2012.

Hi I was on cruise to Alaska on June 10-14 It was a wonderful trip. You can see my review. they only thing bad about this cruise was I had to get off on the 24.

Please don't feel you are too ld to do this cruise. There are a lot of seniors on this cruise myself included. It is not strenouus. I found it relaxing. every thing on the ship was layed back. You cna do tour but some of not necessary. Since most of the ships go to the port you can just walk off. Even the tenders are great

You will find this ship a trip of a life time and if like me will want to go back. I say don't let your age prevent you from going. You will find plenaly of people older that you and also with many of them their 5, or 6 cruise on same line and doing the same thing

mary

Several years ago, we wanted to do a cruise to Alaska. We went to a top knotch travel agent, very respected in her field, very well traveled, and one who has cruised on every major line of cruise ship. She gave us great advice: "your first cruise to Alaska may be the only one you get to take, so lets do it right." She rec. Holland America because she felt they would truly take care of us. She rec. we get a balcony cabin, and that we do the Inside Passage out of Vancouver. Vancouver for the jaw dropping scenery from moment one and you do not go out into open water like you do out of Seattle. She also suggested we try as small a ship as possible, since they can often get a bit closer to the glaciers...and she rec. Glacier Bay. Also, a smaller ship can "unload" passengers much quicker. So, we booked HAL, and it has been such a great experience, that in Sept. we will be taking our 5th Alaskan cruise. I do think that you would be pleased with Princess also....beautiful ships. Just my thoughts. gg

I went on my first Alaska cruise in June this year on Holland America's Zaandam and had a wonderful experience. I'm taking my adult kids next year and will do a southbound on the Celebrity Millennium. I picked that ship partly because of the longer time in ports and also because it is the only ship in port in Juneau and Skagway and only one of two ships in port in Ketchikan.

I did my homework and found there can be up to 6 ships in these ports and that was important to me. Some people will only pick cruises that include Glacier Bay. I saw Glacier Bay on my last cruise and it was nice, but I though College Fjord was more impressive. Next year our cruise will visit Hubbard Glacier. People pick cruises for different reasons, but whatever you decide Alaska is magnificent!

I went on my first Alaska cruise in June this year on Holland America's Zaandam and had a wonderful experience. I'm taking my adult kids next year and will do a southbound on the Celebrity Millennium. I picked that ship partly because of the longer time in ports and also because it is the only ship in port in Juneau and Skagway and only one of two ships in port in Ketchikan.

How do you find out how many ships will be in port on a specific day?

How do you find out how many ships will be in port on a specific day?

Go to claalaska.com to find the various port schedules in Alaska. gg

Such a great amount of information here.

What is the better month of the year to go on a cruise to Alaska?

Also what is the best route to take in Alaska for the first trip? I am not sure which line to take yet, but what are the must see areas?

My girlfriend is asking me to ask about a train that is taken at some point, can anyone explain this?

Thank you again!

You can only go on a cruise May - Sept. Longer daylight hours in June and July. Colder in May....a bit more rain in Sept.

Also what is the best route to take in Alaska for the first trip? I am not sure which line to take yet, but what are the must see areas?

In my opinion RT out of Vancouver, Canada. Holland America and Princess are both great cruise lines. Most ships go to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway or Sitka. You can also take a N. bound or S. bound.

My girlfriend is asking me to ask about a train that is taken at some point, can anyone explain this?

She is probably talking about the White Pass RR in Skagway. It follows the trail of the gold rush miners. Very interesting and a very scenic ride. It is an excursion that you plan via your cruise ship.

Thank you again!

Keep reading and studying these boards and you will find everything that you need to plan one fantastic journey. There are so many folks on here who have had many, many trips to Alaska, and also lots of posts from folks who live there. Invaluable info from all of them. gg

She also suggested we try as small a ship as possible, since they can often get a bit closer to the glaciers...

This is a myth. It depends on the cpt, with how "close", any ship gets to a glacier, biggest issue is time and activity. Size of ship, has little to do with any of the current cruise ships now sailing Alaska.

Thank you again!

Have you decided on a round trip or a one way? What are your priorities.....scenery? ports? ship life? etc. These things make a difference.

The average person seems to want to go to Alaska to see the scenery. If this is you and you are looking for a 7 day round trip, I suggest the HAL itinerary that goes to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. The one that leaves on a Wednesday is said to have fewer ships in ports than the Saturday departure.

If you are looking at a one way, I would consider the SB Princess itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. Unlike the other poster, College Fjords was not my favorite. I have now been to Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm and College Fjords. My favorite was by far Glacier Bay. Hubbard Glacier is definitely the King of glaciers for its size, but my DH and I much preferred the all day cruising experience through Glacier Bay.

You need to remember that at times Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier could be iced out. Hubbard can also be fogged out. We went in August this year to minimize the chance of ice jams at Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier and Hubbard and we got lucky. We got to see both glaciers. This year those that went earlier in the season were not as lucky.

Skagway is the port with the very scenic train ride, that often makes the lists of the top ten train rides in the world. We also loved the train ride from Seward to Anchorage. Absolutely breathtaking scenery on both trips.

If you plan to do a cruisetour, so that you can see some of Interior Alaska in addition to the cruise, I would recommend Princess or HAL--Princess gets the edge if you want to see Denali National Park/Fairbanks etc..

I definately do not agree with this recommendation. Princess has the worthless Natural History tour included in many of their cruisetours, which, certainly in no way gives them any "edge" for Denali park. The purchaser many times is completely unaware of what they are booking. Then come to this site and find out the details. Many are "locked in" and unwilling to change anything. Others who do change, may still not get what they thought was "included".

It is better to find out everything about the specific details, which are significant in any cruisetour, before booking. This board is an excellent source of information that is detailed and accurate. Far more than any cruisetour "description". Key points of understanding, are the distances and time involved in the transits, and the details of getting INTO Denali Park. :)

Archived