Appearance of the menus seem very casual.

happy cruzer

SO I KNOW THIS IS A NITPICK

Put I think the appearance of the new menus is very casual. I would not expect to see a menu with such large, comic font and no caps in any good restaurant. More like a cafe or very casual spot.

The didja and comfort food on every menu including elegant night is very casual as well.

It encourages me not to take the dining room service or dress code seriously since they do not take their menu seriously.

This is fine. It is another item that makes Carnival more casual than other cruise lines.

But also to be fair other lines are going this way too, so it may be a trend that meets the needs of the general cruising public.

I just hope the food prep stays as good as before. And I'll deal with the comic font and casual appearance. JMHO.

I actually thought the same thing. The appearance of the menu doesn't seem to fit the dining room environment. It may be nit-picking, but each element is a component of the whole and everything should go together.

I kind of agree with you. And I was surprised to see a hamburger and fries as a choice. For lunch, yes. Dinner? Not so much. Or as an alternative, not a main choice. Seems kind of odd to me.

Some of the menus that you see on these boards have been copied and pasted from the pdfs and may not take on the final formatting of the data before it is posted in the MDR of a ship. One poster/ thread posted what they thought was the enitre menus in a long list and then kept having to come back and say "oh I forgot this", Oh I missed that". And every responder copied the original post as a quote Got to be too long and too confusing of a thread. I haven't been able to access the pdfs due to busy server, but it would be more useful for someone who has the time and has downlaoded the pdfs to copy and reformat in Word and include as an attachment (s). here. Especially labeling them as Day1, Day2, etc. And once they are up, posting the desserts as well. Maybe one of the mods can gather them up into a sticky.

Just noticed that Karma54915's posted thread has this. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1464578 It's the one to access

The appearance of the menu doesn't seem to fit the dining room environment.

We are talking about the same dining room environment in which the waiters dance around with trays of drinks on their heads and sing songs right? :D

IMHO this dining room business is getting worse than smoking threads. Been on several lines, I like Carnival. I also like RCCL and NCL. However I think you get more bang for your buck on Carnival and don't care about fonts as a thing to base cruises on. We all have different reasons for selecting different cruises. I think Carnival is the most fun and love the atmosphere. I though NCL had the worse food, although edible, but very bland and everything tasted like it had just been thawed out in the microwave. I have never had a problem with Carnival's food, their selections, or presentation. I think everyone can find something they like to eat. I think we should all just be thankful we can cruise and that Carnival keeps the prices so more people can afford this wonderful experience.

Frog legs are on the didja menu... that's casual to people? :confused:

Frog legs, no. The term "didja", a resounding Yes. :p lol

Everything certainly looks like it's heading to be more and more casual, but that's probably because that's what the majority wants. I would like things less casual, but that's just me - I get casual all the time. They can't please everybody, so they're trying to please most.

:)

We are talking about the same dining room environment in which the waiters dance around with trays of drinks on their heads and sing songs right? :D

You have a point...but it's also the dining room with tablecloths, cloth napkins and chandeliers. Maybe even Carnival is very confused about who or what they are!

I think it looks terrible, at least what is circulating around the boards, not sure if that's what we'll actually see on ships or not.

I believe the PDF files of the new menus that John Heald posted are the same as will be disbursed in the MDR. I remember seeing a trip report that recently posted with a picture of the same exact looking menu.

I saw that too..someone took a picture of the actual MDR menu on their recent cruise...and it had the same font, look and feel of the menus posted on John's blog. It makes a very casual impression to me.

Why not just have the waiters wear "flair" or polo shirts with khakis??

They look EXACTLY like the versions posted. It is not "nit picky", OP. I am with you. Branding is one thing, but when you "dumb" things down this far... I don't know.

MDR is supposed to be a more upscale experience. (Yes, there is dancing and singing, but that's the "fun" element and that's where it should stop.) The funky font all in lowercase is not doing it for me. What a change... :(

I'm just amazed that this is such a big deal to people. Is the font of the menu going to make the food taste better? If it was in chaucer would your flat iron steak be more tender?

Ridiculous. Maybe they're just trying to make it easier for people to read.

I do feel critiquing the menu items is one thing...but the "look" of the menu may be taking things too far.

Carnival is not trying to be an upper class cruise line so it's not surprising at all - or anything I'd worry about.

These new menu threads have just replaced all the posts complaining that Carnival had the same old tired menu cruise after cruise. Many people really seem to take ownership of their cruise experience and it really bothers tham that something might change. Carnival owns the low priced cruise market and they will keep changes like this coming. Slow down, take a breath and welcome new experiences - it's fun!

I'm just amazed that this is such a big deal to people. Is the font of the menu going to make the food taste better? If it was in chaucer would your flat iron steak be more tender?

Seriously...I feel like I am in some nit-picky bizarro world.

You are entitled to your opinion but I just don't see how this looks changes anything. It is just a menu. The food choices are still gourmet with some comfort foods added on.

There is nothing gourmet about this menu.

This menu is the same as a midprice bistro. The kind of place that I would wear jeans to. Totaly mass market menu.

This is sad.

Archived