Veendam to Bermuda - formal nights

ikelmay

Can those with HAL Bermuda experience advise how many formal nights there are on this 7 day trip to and from Bermuda? Also, which nights do they they fall on? I'm hoping that there aren't two, both on the sea days. Can you also confirm if the formal dress code for main dining also applies in the specialty restaurant?

For reasons of practicality we are unable to bring formal clothing and as we both enjoy mixing the dining up, we will be happy to try dinner in the informal location (Canaletto/Lido). I would though, like to book the specialty dining for our anniversary and it would therefore be very useful to know in advance which are the formal nights.

Thanks very much

When I cruised to Bermuda last year the first formal night was on the full sea day on the way over and on the return it was on the night we left Bermuda and not on the last night of the cruise.

Yes the formal code applies to the Pinnacle as well.

I personally wouldnt get to crazy about what to wear on formal night. I feel its very stressful if your not a dress and or business suit type of person. Many people may disagree with me but I feel men should wear slacks and a button up. and ladies should wear a nice dress or slacks and a button up or blouse. Just my opinion

I personally wouldnt get to crazy about what to wear on formal night. I feel its very stressful if your not a dress and or business suit type of person. Many people may disagree with me but I feel men should wear slacks and a button up. and ladies should wear a nice dress or slacks and a button up or blouse. Just my opinion

However that you feel, I am not a fan of formal nights either, they won't let men in without a jacket. Last year on Veendam the Maitre D was loaning out jackets to those who wanted to go in who came without a jacket.

My husband as always will be wearing his tuxedo. I will be wearing a long gown one evening and a cocktail dress the other.

The formal nights are Monday night and Friday night. The Pinnacle Grill diners adhere to the same dress code as the dining room. Room service and dining in the Lido are available should you chose not to dress up.

Laura

My husband as always will be wearing his tuxedo. I will be wearing a long gown one evening and a cocktail dress the other.

Laura

Your answer reminds me of something my father always used to preach, which is that it is always more socially acceptable to dress "up" than to

dress "down". I have always found this to be good advice.

You, of course, have the choice to wear whatever you feel comfortable in within the parameters of the suggested dress code.

My personal observation is that on the Bermuda run the number of gentlemen wearing tuxedos was in the minority with the vast majority of gentlemen wearing suits and/or blazers with ties. Of course there are the few who feel compelled to dress "down".

In general, IMHO society in general has become more inclined to lean toward the casual and less toward the formal. Not passing any judgements here.

I am sure that your DH looks dashing in his tux and you are the perfect complement in your gown and cocktail dress.

As for myself, owning a tux is not financially justifiable, especially since I would have to be always taking the pants out as the frequency of our cruises increases.

Your father sounds like a wise man!

Society is less formal in many places, however when one is given a dress code, it should be adhered to. There is a restaurant in the Fairmont Southampton that turns diners away if they do not have a jacket.

We've always encountered well dressed people on every cruise we have been on.. except NCL..but that is formal optional and even then some people dressed very nicely. It is weird to be dressed up and have someone in a tank top and cut off shorts dining next to you. One reason I prefer a cruise line with a dress code.

We don't have to fly (but even when we do the tux is packed) so weight isn't an option when sailing from the NY metro area. Its not like a tuxedo weighs more than a suit.

You, of course, have the choice to wear whatever you feel comfortable in within the parameters of the suggested dress code.

And I believe the dress code clearly states suit or tuxedo for formal nights.

Just curious, do you find you have to let your regular pants/shorts out when traveling? We travel a lot and this has yet to be an issue..

As for myself, owning a tux is not financially justifiable, especially since I would have to be always taking the pants out as the frequency of our cruises increases.

The cruise lines as I'm sure you know offer men's formal wear rentals as an option to packing and they can be altered onboard should you need the waist let out.

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/cf_pages/packages.php?c=hal

Lord and Taylor has some very nice tuxedos that are discounted heavily either once or twice a year with alterations included.

On Bermuda cruises I have noticed more men will wear Bermuda shorts, knee socks, button down shirt and a blazer to the dining room on non formal evenings when docked in Hamilton.

In Europe (and for English/Irish/Scots cruising in the US) you will see more kilts as formal attire.

I am sure that your DH looks dashing in his tux and you are the perfect complement in your gown and cocktail dress.

Thank you for your compliment :)

Happy Sails,

Laura

I am one of those people (older than dirt) who actually own a tuxedo. I am assuming that on a HAL cruise to Bermuda I will not look odd (or be mistaken for a waiter) if I wear it on the formal nights? This is a serious question.

You will look dashing!! My hubby is 36 and wears his proudly!!

Laura

I am one of those people (older than dirt) who actually own a tuxedo. I am assuming that on a HAL cruise to Bermuda I will not look odd (or be mistaken for a waiter) if I wear it on the formal nights? This is a serious question.

I own two tuxedos and both still fit. Yet I won't be taking a tuxedo to Bermuda on the Veendam in a week and a half. I found that Bermuda cruises are not that much tuxedo cruises. One time I was the only one with a tux on my seating and someone did think I was a waiter. That was another line and I don't think it would happen on HAL but I will be wearing a suit. Even just a jacket would be fine and meets HALs suggested dress.

You can't possibly look "odd" dressed in a tuxedo on formal night. If anyone were to mistake you for a waiter, then it is their error, not yours for dressing properly.

You can't possibly look "odd" dressed in a tuxedo on formal night. If anyone were to mistake you for a waiter, then it is their error, not yours for dressing properly.

RuthC, I respect your knowledge and opinions, and it may be sacriligous to differ with your judgement. IMHO perhaps on the longer HAL cruises, especially on the upscale ships like the Prinsendam, a tux is de riguour but it was my observation that wearing a tux was not what most of the gentlemen were wearing on the Bermuda run, especially men with their wives and children. So stating that a wearing a tux is the only way to dress properly may be slightly misstating the situation.

Other than that, I am in awe of your vast store of knowledge and your continued vitality and joi de vivre.

So stating that a wearing a tux is the only way to dress properly may be slightly misstating the situation.

In all the dress codes on the HAL board have never said that wearing a tux is the only way to dress properly. Never. Go back and read what I wrote---dressing in a tux is dressing properly on a formal night. It is the epitome of the standard.

I have always, always, maintained that meeting the dress code is what passengers should be aiming for. That dress code includes a suit, and even a sport coat and tie. But it cannot exclude a tux or dinner jacket. And anyone who chooses to dress to that highest standard should never feel "odd".

In all the dress codes on the HAL board have never said that wearing a tux is the only way to dress properly. Never. Go back and read what I wrote---dressing in a tux is dressing properly on a formal night. It is the epitome of the standard.

I have always, always, maintained that meeting the dress code is what passengers should be aiming for. That dress code includes a suit, and even a sport coat and tie. But it cannot exclude a tux or dinner jacket. And anyone who chooses to dress to that highest standard should never feel "odd".

Well said!!:)

Totally agree.

When my husband and I take our Bermuda cruise next year, he'll bring a tux and me most likely a long dress for formal nights. While some don't like the fuss of dressing up, we enjoy it and find it one of the things that makes cruising so special.

Even our kids have enjoyed it on cruises we took with them. Our teenage son actually asked if we would rent him a tux. We were so proud that he wanted to participate.

While some don't like the fuss of dressing up, we enjoy it and find it one of the things that makes cruising so special.

I don't find it any more "fuss" to dress up to the formal night standard than to dress for smart casual.

I wash up, put on make-up, do my hair, underware, then a dress. Usually the same shoes, even! It's just that it's a much dressier dress, and probably longer. I'll wear more extravagant jewelry, but it's still earrings, necklace, watch, rings, and maybe a bracelet.

I'll carry a different purse. Big deal. It has the same things in it as the more casual purse.

We did this cruise in May and we are "frequent fliers" on HAL. I wore a tux on both formal nights. The ship sailed Sunday and Monday evening was formal and we left Bermuda on Friday and that evening was formal. Saturday at sea and we docked Sunday in NY. I was surprised that on this trip, I'd say 20-ish% of the men had tuxes on. Everyone else did have suit or jacket and tie. I think you will feel comfortable in either. And for men anyway, packing a tux or a suit or jacket and trousers takes up just about the same amount of space.

I don't find it any more "fuss" to dress up to the formal night standard than to dress for smart casual.

I wash up, put on make-up, do my hair, underware, then a dress. Usually the same shoes, even! It's just that it's a much dressier dress, and probably longer. I'll wear more extravagant jewelry, but it's still earrings, necklace, watch, rings, and maybe a bracelet.

I'll carry a different purse. Big deal. It has the same things in it as the more casual purse.

An excellent point, Ruth. I don't know anyone that wants to go straight from a day ashore or on the pool deck into the dining room. If you have to wash and change anyway...

We did this cruise in May and we are "frequent fliers" on HAL. I wore a tux on both formal nights. The ship sailed Sunday and Monday evening was formal and we left Bermuda on Friday and that evening was formal. Saturday at sea and we docked Sunday in NY. I was surprised that on this trip, I'd say 20-ish% of the men had tuxes on. Everyone else did have suit or jacket and tie. I think you will feel comfortable in either. And for men anyway, packing a tux or a suit or jacket and trousers takes up just about the same amount of space.

Thanks for the info - that fits in really well for us, we will try Canaletto on the first formal night and then book the Pinnacle Grill for our last sea day and celebrate our anniversary.

Archived