Travelers Checks

sharonbear

My advice would be to save money and not purchase travelers checks. Not sure where you are cruising, but we have had no trouble using local ATMs to get cash all over the world. We haven't taken travelers checks in at least the last 5 or more years. I do though generally carry a back up of US cash, just in case there is a problem.

I saw a post on here recently that indicated a traveler in Europe couldn't find any place that would cash travelers checks except the ship.

Joe

....I saw a post on here recently that indicated a traveler in Europe couldn't find any place that would cash travelers checks except the ship.

Joe

I've read that too, and it's been about anyplace and not just Europe. I think Travelers checks are less and less accepted due to the fact that very few people use them and also due to increased forgeries over the years.

Personally we just use cash and if we're carrying more than we're comfortable with, or in an area known for pick pockets, we split it up and use hidden pockets - a money belt type item worn under our clothing.

My reason for having an American Express traveler check to cash in my rewards points. I then can cash them on board for US dollars. I will use cash for private tour( they want USD) and use the rest on board.

does this make sense?

My reason for having an American Express traveler check to cash in my rewards points. I then can cash them on board for US dollars. I will use cash for private tour( they want USD) and use the rest on board.

does this make sense?

Good plan but as others have said, don't try to use them off the ship....

does this make sense?

Yes it does make sense.

I was the one who posted answers in early August re Traveller Cheques (TC)

Here is what I have learned.

TC's are next to impossible to cash off the ship in Europe.

TC's are a great idea if you get them for no fee at your bank as I do and cash them at the Purser's Office. There is no fee for cashing Euro or US TC's in Europe aboard ship. This is very convenient for carrying larger sums for tours, gambling etc. Saves on ATM banking fees.

Also, I could not tell from your profile if you are Canadian. I am not sure if Celebrity will cash Canadian TC's. It would be best to have the TC made out in US. Canadian TC's would have to be converted to US anyway and the rate is better at the bank than aboard ship.

Hope this helps.

Yes they will cash Cdn $ TC but will convert to USD or any other cash currency, like Euros or GBP, they offer onboard.

I've also cashed Euros and GBP TC onboard without a service fee or charge if I took the currency the TC was in.

yes, when I redeemed my Amex points today, I could have gotten either a gift card or TC.It will be mailed to me within en business days. I opted for a TC. I will use it for USD cash to use aboard the ship.

Does Celebrity charge a fee to cash travelers checks on-board?

We have not used travelers checks in years. No one wants them and usually the only bank that will cash them is the bank or its subsidiary that issued them. User your debit card, credit card or carry cash:D

yes, when I redeemed my Amex points today, I could have gotten either a gift card or TC.It will be mailed to me within en business days. I opted for a TC. I will use it for USD cash to use aboard the ship.

Cashing in rewards is such a pain, isn't it? :D

I get my traveler checks free at the bank. I like taking them because I don't have to carry that much cash when traveling and the ship will cash them for free as I need the money. No ATM fess, etc. If I want to buy something that is more expensive than the cash I have off of the ship, then I will use my credit card. Other than that, I still like using travelers checks because there is no fee attached.

I get my traveler checks free at the bank. I like taking them because I don't have to carry that much cash when traveling and the ship will cash them for free as I need the money. No ATM fess, etc. If I want to buy something that is more expensive than the cash I have off of the ship, then I will use my credit card. Other than that, I still like using travelers checks because there is no fee attached.

Thanks for the suggestion Sharon. We normally depend on ATMs and Credit Cards when we travel. But, for our cruise in South America, the total US Cash needed for all of the private tours that we have arranged, along with 5 nights at B&Bs - all requesting to be paid in US Cash - we would need to bring along around $1,600 in Cash. Since we can also get travelers checks free at our bank, that seems much safer than bringing along so much cash.:D

Jakeil7, LOL...It was fun. I also for the first time in years used my FF

miles for airfare to Rome and back. This cruise is going to be fun and not break my budget!

You found a flight with FF miles! Congrats. You going coach or did you have enough to upgrade? :)

A number of years ago we were in Europe and pickpocketed twice in one day. We were REALLY glad to have some TCs. There was a fee to cash them at a Thomas Cooke, as I recall. That said, when I took a Med cruise two years ago I relied solely on ATMs and CCs and was just fine. My bank doesn't charge any ATM fees and reverses any from the other bank so it's free. I just started getting maximum cash as soon as I got there because the private tours all wanted cash payment in Euros.

Archived