Carnival MDR Suggestion

riedela

Carnival should think about making one of their dining venues Posh for those that want to dress up and seek a more pampered service and the other for “smart business” attire with a little more casual atmosphere. Of course, the menus are the same. (I realize it might cut into their pay to eat offerings).

Constructive thoughts?

I think if people want to dress up, they should dress up and if they don't, they shouldn't have to. And nobody should be worried about what the other is doing.

Your post reminds me of a song from "Oklahoma"....

Oh, the Farmer and the Cowman should be friends....

I think you'd have some capacity issues. Say, if 80% of folks wanted to go to the casual area, you'd end up with people waiting for an hour for a table at one venue, and empty tables at the other. That's why they do the formal nights the way they do.

Carnival should think about making one of their dining venues Posh for those that want to dress up and seek a more pampered service and the other for “smart business” attire with a little more casual atmosphere. Of course, the menus are the same. (I realize it might cut into their pay to eat offerings).

Constructive thoughts?

What happens on the Spirit class ships that have only one dining room? I do agree with the others that say wear what you want and admire those at your table that are dressed nice and ignore the others.

I think you'd have some capacity issues. Say, if 80% of folks wanted to go to the casual area, you'd end up with people waiting for an hour for a table at one venue, and empty tables at the other. That's why they do the formal nights the way they do.

Good point. Maybe "My time dining" could take care of the capacity constraint.

Personally, we quit going to MRD because sometimes it turns into an interrogation of occupation, schooling, etc. I think the more casual people would be a better fit for us.

What happens on the Spirit class ships that have only one dining room? I do agree with the others that say wear what you want and admire those at your table that are dressed nice and ignore the others.

Good point. I was thinking elegant for early and late would be more casual.

ummmm isnt that what the "steakhouse" is for on a lot of the ships? I felt that was pretty "posh" to me.

Yes, that's why I mentioned it might chew into Carnival's high margin business.

Speaking as a devil's advocate "Probably the reason why (besides cost) Carnival keeps lowering the quality".

I think if people want to dress up, they should dress up and if they don't, they shouldn't have to. And nobody should be worried about what the other is doing.

I concur! If people want fine dining, cruise on Cunard.

Good point. I was thinking elegant for early and late would be more casual.

Actually that's a pretty good idea, and on the FAntasy class, they can do the forward MDR Formal and the Rear as cruise casual-makes perfect sence, pick your style of cruising at the same time you pick you dining time. When youare on line making your reservation you choose, how you want to dress for dinner, expecting that the food served there would match your elegant-versus casual. Ilove the ribs, but I am not going to dress up to eat them, sorry, 3.23 worth of ribs, vs 100+$ dress, nope. If I'm going to dribble on myself for a fancy meal, it better be butter from my lobster.:D

Is the elegant early because that set needs to be in bed by 7pm?

HA!

I would think the demographic for elegant would be a little older on average. Now before everyone gets mad. After a port of call, I see many people (young and old) nodding out at the early shows.

Boy, I bet I stepped into it this time. ;-)

Actually that's a pretty good idea, and on the FAntasy class, they can do the forward MDR Formal and the Rear as cruise casual-makes perfect sence, pick your style of cruising at the same time you pick you dining time. When youare on line making your reservation you choose, how you want to dress for dinner, expecting that the food served there would match your elegant-versus casual. Ilove the ribs, but I am not going to dress up to eat them, sorry, 3.23 worth of ribs, vs 100+$ dress, nope. If I'm going to dribble on myself for a fancy meal, it better be butter from my lobster.:D

Would work, but what if u wanted to do Elegant, but the YTD is at a different MDR?

Constructive thoughts?

they already do. the casual venue is up on the lido deck.

for years, the casual crowd has been asking to put the better food upstairs.

unfortunately, carnival got it backwards, and are now.putting the lido deck food in the mdr.

they also didn't know where all the shrimp cocktail has been going. they didn't actually think anyone could be eating it, so they stopped offering it every night.

I concur! If people want fine dining, cruise on Cunard.

Concur also! Formal now Elegant night should be allowed to die as did the midnight buffet. One more generation and Elegant Night will just a memory for those offended by MDR dress. Predict YTD will be the future for all dining rooms on Carnival. My tux went to Goodwill a couple of years ago.

they already do. the casual venue is up on the lido deck.

for years, the casual crowd has been asking to put the better food upstairs.

unfortunately, carnival got it backwards, and are now.putting the lido deck food in the mdr.

they also didn't know where all the shrimp cocktail has been going. they didn't actually think anyone could be eating it, so they stopped offering it every night.

:D So true! If the food was just as good upstairs, then the people that wanted to dress up would go to the MDR, and the casual folk would head upstairs. But right now, the casual people feel cheated out of the good dining room food, so they go into the MDR in their casual attire.

:D So true! If the food was just as good upstairs, then the people that wanted to dress up would go to the MDR, and the casual folk would head upstairs. But right now, the casual people feel cheated out of the good dining room food, so they go into the MDR in their casual attire.

I think some of the food on the Buffet is good if not better in the MDR. For whatever reason, I have always had a perfectly cooked steak in the Buffet. In the MDR, I have stopped ordering steak because I was always returning it because it was either under or over cooked.

And I am seeing more and more people eating in the Buffet, and it has nothing to do with the way they are dressed.

Archived