Caribbean port shopping recommendations

Dorie7

Do you shop in the cruise line recommended shops in port? Or do you shop elsewhere?

Do you believe that stores like Diamond International are a good deal or a rip off?

Just wondering what most CCer's do

Dorie

i generally do not shop in the recommended stores....as they are paying the cruise lines to be 'recommended..."

also, i really only buy pandora/chamilia charms, the occasional watch (very occasional...) and MAYBE something for my camera (got a GREAT deal on a Nikkor VR lens in St Thomas....about 80-90 LESS than at home and no tax...)

If you do shop for something big....do your research at home first so you have some idea of what you want....personally though i would not make a very large purchase on a cruise....that is just me and many CCers have gotten good deals on jewelry etc.....

as for good deal or not...i guess it depends on what you look for...a diamond for instance, will not have an exact twin someplace else...so you're not really comparing the exact same thing..(you can get the same color, clarity , carat weight etc but stone A is not stone B..even if everything is identical...if that makes sense...)

whereas, with a watch..it's a watch....a camera lens is a lens...and a little charm is a charm.....

hope that made sense.........

I don't shop in the recommended stores but rather shop whereever I want. The recommended stores really mean nothing. And I stopped buying jewelry in the Caribbean a few years ago when I bought a pair of diamond and sapphire earrings for $500 and when I got home I had them appraised....$300 so that is the last time buying jewelry there for me.

If I find something that strikes my fancy I might consider buying it but to buy jewelry just to get a bargain....no more.

Archived