Churchill's and Cigars

Paul NH

Has anyone purchased cigars on the QM2 for smoking in Churchill's? Are they reasonably priced and how is the quality? I've only recently taken to smoking cigars (several per year ... "dabbler") so I did not pay any attention to this pastime when I was on board before. I would be content to buy them on board if I wanted to experience Churchill's - if they were reasonable on the quality/price front.

Has anyone purchased cigars on the QM2 for smoking in Churchill's? Are they reasonably priced and how is the quality? I've only recently taken to smoking cigars (several per year ... "dabbler") so I did not pay any attention to this pastime when I was on board before. I would be content to buy them on board if I wanted to experience Churchill's - if they were reasonable on the quality/price front.

Good cigars, high prices.

If you ever call into Gibraltar, or any port in Portugal, you can get some good buys.

My favorites in the machine made category - a good 30/40 minute smoke and very consistent are Guantanameras - absolutely genuine Cuban grown and made but inexpensive. And you can get them for a modest cost, less than $2 each for Cristals in the places I mentioned, or $10 each in Mexico and the Bahamas.

CruznTom,

Thanks! That link was an excellent source of information - could not have answered my question any better. Cunard has a pretty good selection on board. The drinks list at the end was just as interesting.

I'll be on board next week and am now looking forward to the crossing even more.

Paul

CruznTom,

Thanks! That link was an excellent source of information - could not have answered my question any better. Cunard has a pretty good selection on board. The drinks list at the end was just as interesting.

I'll be on board next week and am now looking forward to the crossing even more.

Paul

You can always order some decent cigars mail order from say Cigars International, they have a good website, or Thompson Cigar in Tampa. Just bring them on board with you. A big saving, but no Cubans mailorder in USA of course. Not yet anyway.

You can always order some decent cigars mail order from say Cigars International, they have a good website, or Thompson Cigar in Tampa. Just bring them on board with you. A big saving, but no Cubans mailorder in USA of course. Not yet anyway.

So please explain how you can get a decent cigar when the are not Cuban.

On our first TA I thought it was fun sitting in Churchills in my tux, puffing a Cohiba and drinking cognac. But when I couldn't get the smell out of the tux, I was (a) glad I had brought a 2nd tux with me on the crossings and (b) vowed not to do that again.

I even had trouble getting the smell out of our stateroom.

There must be trick that only smokers know about how to deal with that. (Or maybe not.)

On our first TA I thought it was fun sitting in Churchills in my tux, puffing a Cohiba and drinking cognac. But when I couldn't get the smell out of the tux, I was (a) glad I had brought a 2nd tux with me on the crossings and (b) vowed not to do that again.

There must be trick that only smokers know about how to deal with that. (Or maybe not.)

Sadly, I assume, because of the outdated technology on QM2 the atmosphere in Churchill's Room is particularly unpleasant when compared to those on QV and QE which are almost odour free. It needs venting to the outside which I don't think would be particularly difficult but I don't know if it features highly on Cunard's agenda.

I don't smoke cigars, but I understand the dry cleaning process rids clothing of most odors/fragrances.

And there I was blaming the cigarette smokers who overun the place!

The Victorian era cigar smokers used to wear a smoking jacket, often velvet, and a nice tasselled cap to keep the smell out of their regular clothes and hair respectively.

So please explain how you can get a decent cigar when the are not Cuban.

OK, let me amend that to half decent. Some of the Nicaraguan ones are smokable IMHO, but just like almost everything else its a matter of personal preference.

I quite like the Rocky Patel and Drew Estate cigars as mail order stinkweeds go, quite interesting and worth a try if you haven't done so already.

The Victorian era cigar smokers used to wear a smoking jacket, often velvet, and a nice tasselled cap to keep the smell out of their regular clothes and hair respectively.

Indeed, and these are still available, there are cigar clubs and I believe pipe clubs that still wear the jackets and the tasselled caps and have them specially made. There used to be (and very well may still be) such a shop in the Piccadilly Arcade off Jermyn Street in London. Don't recollect the name unfortunately.

Gari

Indeed, and these are still available, there are cigar clubs and I believe pipe clubs that still wear the jackets and the tasselled caps and have them specially made. There used to be (and very well may still be) such a shop in the Piccadilly Arcade off Jermyn Street in London. Don't recollect the name unfortunately.

Gari

Gari, I think that you will find that the shop is called Favourbrook and their site is at http://favourbrook.com/ :)

Gari, I think that you will find that the shop is called Favourbrook and their site is at http://favourbrook.com/ :)

Thanks Jim, I think that is the place. I went in to look at some waistcoats one time and the chap was telling me about their smoking jacket trade. They certainly had some fancy examples complete with the tasselled hats. And extremely fancy prices to match.

Gari.

Thanks Jim, I think that is the place. I went in to look at some waistcoats one time and the chap was telling me about their smoking jacket trade. They certainly had some fancy examples complete with the tasselled hats. And extremely fancy prices to match.

Gari.

Smoking jackets at a mere £640, I think I need two. :eek::rolleyes::eek: Waistcoats at only £210, how can one survive without a couple.

Smoking jackets at a mere £640, I think I need two. :eek::rolleyes::eek: Waistcoats at only £210, how can one survive without a couple.

I've been in that shop as well. A little pricey for me. And this coming from a guy who was staying at Claridge's at the time.

Archived