Infinity - Noro Virus?

aprilivy

Hi Don,

I contacted the resolutions dept. on Sat. afternoon and was told they had not been notified of "any outbreak of any kind" Am going to call again today. In case you have not already guessed, I am booked on the Infinity leaving this friday. It was a last minute decision, and not one of my best.

Just spoke to cpt. club who checked with resolutions and they say they have not been notified about an outbreak at this time. If I cancel, I am on my own. So, there we are.

Thank you, just wanted to know where you got your info as it wasn't indicated in either thread. I hope things work out for you....

Those hand sanitizers are good for a lot of things but NOT norovirus, which isn't killed by alcohol. Soap, water and friction is required!!!

My kids got sick (along with a lot of other pax and crew) on Disney a couple of years ago. I told them that unless they wanted to spend their last cruise in June like they did the Disney cruise, they needed to wash their hands. Often.

It's awful when any ship gets this nasty bug entrenched because it's hard to get rid of. Hopefully Celebrity's sanitation efforts will take care of it before too many more people are impacted.

People really should wash their hands more often. :)

You are so correct, the hand sanitizers are a feel good measure, they are no better than washing your hands yet people insist that others use them. There are some who believe that they can actually be detrimental because they kill the good germs.

We just got off the infinity on the 19th, my hubby had a mild case of it, no one else in our party got it. Infinity has had this in the past, just google norovirus Celebrity infinity. It can happen on any ship and it does.

Celebrity took great precautions on killing the virus. Everything on the tables removed, the books in our cabin removed, the pillow covers removed, continiously wiping everything done, sprayings, sanitzer everyweher. They served everyone there food and if you touched anything it was removed instantly. Great job Celebrity.

Thank you, just wanted to know where you got your info as it wasn't indicated in either thread. I hope things work out for you....

Thanks Don. I do believe I am going to lose some money on this one. Using the "cancel for any reason" still leaves me out of pocket more than I am comfortable with. :( But I am even less comfortable taking the risk of bringing this virus home with me.

Anne

My brother-in-law, sister-in-law and their kids were on the Infinity cruise that got back on the 19th (or 20th?). My SIL and her daughter got it. They were sick, sick, sick. The others did not get it, even though they shared staterooms with the sick ones. Go figure. My SIL said they were told 250 people had it. Not sure if that's correct or total rumor. That seems REALLY high!

Robin

I was on the Infinity for this cruise. Yes, there were some sick, but I did not encounter any of them. There were extra precautions taken where the crew did as much as possible to prevent spread of the virus. I (thankfully) am not sick. I think the staff illnesses referred to may have been members of the production cast. The best male singer and a couple of dancers seemed to be missing during the last show.

The wait staff indicated that none of the kitchen staff were impacted.

I have to say that I get more concerned flying to and from a destination than any I had on the ship.

-K

I just wanted to make a comment about the hand washing comments. Yes, absolutely, frequent hand washing will help prevent the spread of the virus. But it is also true that you can wash your hands constantly and still catch the virus. There will always be times in-between washings when you may have virus on your hands. There are also times (without being too graphic) where if you are around someone recently sick there are virus particles in the air itself.

I only wanted to mention this because sometimes on threads like these (NOT necessarily so far on this one) there is an implication that if you catch the virus it is your fault for not being dilligent about hand washing. As some who have suffered from the virus will attest, that is not necessarily the case.

I just wanted to make a comment about the hand washing comments. Yes, absolutely, frequent hand washing will help prevent the spread of the virus. But it is also true that you can wash your hands constantly and still catch the virus. There will always be times in-between washings when you may have virus on your hands. There are also times (without being too graphic) where if you are around someone recently sick there are virus particles in the air itself.

I only wanted to mention this because sometimes on threads like these (NOT necessarily so far on this one) there is an implication that if you catch the virus it is your fault for not being dilligent about hand washing. As some who have suffered from the virus will attest, that is not necessarily the case.

You are so right, I remember reading not long ago that one of the most prevelent areas to pick up the viruses are the floors. People come on board and spend time washing down the cabins and then go and take their shoes off when they go to bed. This is only mentioned to bring up the point that you can get it anywhere at anytime and not realize it. Just do your best.

I just received this from Celebrity. Form your own opinion from what she has to say versus your experiences. I have removed names.

Dear Mrs. xx

Thank you for your email.

The Celebrity Infinity has not recently experienced any gastrointestinal illness known as a Norovirus. However, we certainly appreciate and share your concern. The health and safety of our guests is our utmost priority. We are fully committed to ensuring that our guests experience a cruise vacation that is not only enjoyable, but also a healthy, and safe one.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year as many as 23 million Americans are affected by a gastrointestinal illness known as a Norovirus. Only the common cold is more prevalent. However, we would prefer if none of our guests became ill. Therefore, we ask that you follow the advice of medical experts who tell us that the best way to prevent gastrointestinal illnesses is to simply wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after using the bathroom and before eating anything. We also recommend that they use the complimentary sanitizing gel that is available at various locations onboard.

Mrs. xx, thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Ms. xxx

Customer Service Representative

I just received this from Celebrity. Form your own opinion from what she has to say versus your experiences. I have removed names.

Dear Mrs. xx

The Celebrity Infinity has not recently experienced any gastrointestinal illness known as a Norovirus. However, we certainly appreciate and share your concern. The health and safety of our guests is our utmost priority. We are fully committed to ensuring that our guests experience a cruise vacation that is not only enjoyable, but also a healthy, and safe one.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year as many as 23 million Americans are affected by a gastrointestinal illness known as a Norovirus. Only the common cold is more prevalent. However, we would prefer if none of our guests became ill. Therefore, we ask that you follow the advice of medical experts who tell us that the best way to prevent gastrointestinal illnesses is to simply wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after using the bathroom and before eating anything. We also recommend that they use the complimentary sanitizing gel that is available at various locations onboard.

Sincerely,

Ms. xxx

I would send a nasty note back to this woman and tell here to read just this thread on cruise critic. All these people coming back and reporting the illness are not wrong. What the heck is wrong with their customer service, Mr. Hanrahan really needs to fix it.

I would send a nasty note back to this woman and tell here to read just this thread on cruise critic. All these people coming back and reporting the illness are not wrong. What the heck is wrong with their customer service, Mr. Hanrahan really needs to fix it.

Hi Don,

I replied to her letter, with a copy this time to Hanrahan, in what I thought was quite a civil tone. Certainly more civil than what I was feeling. :mad:

If I receive another canned response, I will probably just give up. But this has left me with a very poor opinion of Celebrity's "customer service"

Anne

Yes, I would send a reply, I was on the ship, they made an announcement about people being ill. They also put a letter in our room, stating it. They also told us this is the first time the Infinity has had norovirus, not true. I am beginning to think twice about Celebrity. One person in my party had over 200.00 worth of additional charged added to their bill after they received their final statement.

Yes, I would send a reply, I was on the ship, they made an announcement about people being ill. They also put a letter in our room, stating it. They also told us this is the first time the Infinity has had norovirus, not true. I am beginning to think twice about Celebrity. One person in my party had over 200.00 worth of additional charged added to their bill after they received their final statement.

The response received from Customer Service that was mentioned is very poor customer service. But overall, in my 20 cruises on Celebrity I have found onboard customer service to almost always range from very good to outstanding. Any ship can get the virus, and it sounds like the Captain was doing a very good job of handling it. As to the charges you mention, it is true that mistakes can happen, or perhaps they charged alot to their room the last night and they had not made it to the final bill?? In any case, these do not happen regularly and are generally cleared up without any issues. I have cruised other cruise lines as well and Celebrity is FAR superior to any of the other mainline cruiselines I have taken IMHO.

They had one pop and one red bull, 25.00, that is 12.50 a piece, plus 140 dollars in things that were missing from the cabin. I don't think so. They will have to look into it, and shouldn't be a problem reversing the charges. All cruiselines make mistakes, just make sure you save receipts and check charge card.

They had one pop and one red bull, 25.00, that is 12.50 a piece, plus 140 dollars in things that were missing from the cabin. I don't think so. They will have to look into it, and shouldn't be a problem reversing the charges. All cruiselines make mistakes, just make sure you save receipts and check charge card.

Hi Gilby,

I realize it is a long shot, but do you by any chance still have the letter that was placed in your cabin regarding the outbreak? I am just trying to get together anything I can to show how poor a job customer service shoreside is doing.

And regarding your experience with the incorrect charges, I have always been treated well by the on board people, so please do not let this ruin Celebrity for you. I am certain they will get it fixed.

Anne

Anne,

I don't have the letter, never thought of keeping it, let me check with my sister.

Know it won't deter me from cruising with Celebrity or any other cruise line. I think it came down to their stewart guy and maybe he just mixed up room numbers.

Anne,

I don't have the letter, never thought of keeping it, let me check with my sister.

Know it won't deter me from cruising with Celebrity or any other cruise line. I think it came down to their stewart guy and maybe he just mixed up room numbers.

Thanks Gilby, I would appreciate that very much.

Anne

They make thousands of transactions per week, I really don't think they can be perfect and I personally know that other cruise lines make the same mistakes.

Thanks Gilby, I would appreciate that very much.

Anne

I am very interested to hear what the people in Dan's office will have to say in response to your letter.

The response from customer service is totally unacceptable. If you were a passenger with a compromised immune system and relied on that type of information I would hate to think of what the consequences would be. For someone who has just undergone chemo or has HIV or a myriad of other illnesses and/or conditions this type of mistake can be life threatening.......

Shame on Celebrity. I am pretty disgusted.......

For those of you still with me, here is the reply to my second e-mail. Since it is from the same person as the first one, I will leave her name in this time. Mostly because I am so p---ed. My next response is directly to Dan Hanrahan. If he does not know what kind of job his customer service people are doing, he soon will.

Dear Mrs. xx

While we understand you desiret to move to another sailing, we are unable to honor the request. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

Sincerely,

Lisa Webster

By the way, the typo is hers, not mine. Pretty sad.

Anne

Any ship can get the virus. It is nice that the precautions were taken, but how does no one "higher up" know anything about it? I think that is a problem on all levels.

I am not certain which would bother me more; their knowing but lying about it or their NOT knowing one of their ships was having an outbreak. Both are pretty awful.

Anne

I am very interested to hear what the people in Dan's office will have to say in response to your letter.

The response from customer service is totally unacceptable. If you were a passenger with a compromised immune system and relied on that type of information I would hate to think of what the consequences would be. For someone who has just undergone chemo or has HIV or a myriad of other illnesses and/or conditions this type of mistake can be life threatening.......

Shame on Celebrity. I am pretty disgusted.......

Hi Cheryl,

Nice to hear from you. I think our last (only?) communication was about Summit's future cruise problem. By the time I arrived on Summit, he had left the ship for vacation so I had no chance to talk to him. I am really sorry I missed him.

I just e-mailed Mr. Hanrahan a few minutes ago. If I hear from his office, I will be back here with a response. At this point, I am not confident I will even get one. I hope he surprises me.

I just noticed we have the same birthday. I am pretty certain I am older by quite a lot. :)

Anne

If you do get the norovirus while on a cruise what relief does the infirmary give you? Is there anything that can make you more comfortable or less sick or even shorten the illness? Has anyone received any medication on the ship that helped the situation?

Archived