Considering RC for 2012 Western Caribbean

My wife and I have been talking about swapping out or DCL Eastern Caribbean cruise on board the Fantasy for a RC cruise to the Western Caribbean on board the Freedom of the Seas.

I've sailed RC before in 2007 and joined CC around that time to help us decide on and plan for our cruise. We recently completed a DCL cruise to Alaska aboard the Disney Wonder and while we were happy with our cruise, there were some aspects that have left us thinking we might be better off at switching up for what will be our 25th anniversary.

My questions are:

1) Thinking about a Deck 6 balcony. Most of what I've read here suggest this is a good choice. Not sure what is available right now but is what I read correct? Also, I've noticed some people seem to prefer this bubble area (not sure what it is really called). Are these rooms any different?

2) We are looking at a date in late August but I am unfamiliar with that area having never sailed the Caribbean before. I think that is hurricane season. Aside from that concern, any other concerns about late August?

3) Being that we've sailed RC before, does that mean we have some sort of returning guest status? It is automatic on CCL and DCL but I'm not sure about RC.

If I missed some threads where this is covered, if you could be so kind as to point me to them I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

My wife and I have been talking about swapping out or DCL Eastern Caribbean cruise on board the Fantasy for a RC cruise to the Western Caribbean on board the Freedom of the Seas.

I've sailed RC before in 2007 and joined CC around that time to help us decide on and plan for our cruise. We recently completed a DCL cruise to Alaska aboard the Disney Wonder and while we were happy with our cruise, there were some aspects that have left us thinking we might be better off at switching up for what will be our 25th anniversary.

My questions are:

1) Thinking about a Deck 6 balcony. Most of what I've read here suggest this is a good choice. Not sure what is available right now but is what I read correct? Also, I've noticed some people seem to prefer this bubble area (not sure what it is really called). Are these rooms any different?

I prefer a deck that is sandwiched between 2 other guests decks such as 7, 8 and 9...deck six is above public space which can get noisy depending where you are. The bubble area you refer to are nicknamed hump cabins....they are in a central area of the ship that bubbles out. The benefit is location...very convenient to the elevators and many areas of the ship. The more central you get in the hump area the better the view....the center cabins will have the only view both forward and aft on the ship. These cabins are also separated enough from the hall to be quiet still....GREAT location.

2) We are looking at a date in late August but I am unfamiliar with that area having never sailed the Caribbean before. I think that is hurricane season. Aside from that concern, any other concerns about late August?

August is definitely hurricane season.....however ships will divert to miss a storm...other than that it will be VERY hot and humid in the Caribbean.

3) Being that we've sailed RC before, does that mean we have some sort of returning guest status? It is automatic on CCL and DCL but I'm not sure about RC.

Having sailed RC once before...you can sign up for the Crown and Anchor program and give them your prior sail date....that would make you a Gold Member....really only perk is a value booklet in your cabin with some coupons...no booking discounts at that level.

If I missed some threads where this is covered, if you could be so kind as to point me to them I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Freedom is a fantastic ship.....I think you will enjoy spending your 25th on her.

The "hump" rooms are no different than a regular side cabin on either Freedom or Voyager class ships...it's only the Radiance class that has varying balcony sizes because of the hump. It's the convenient location that folks love....myself included!!!!

Having sailed RC once before...you can sign up for the Crown and Anchor program and give them your prior sail date....that would make you a Gold Member....really only perk is a value booklet in your cabin with some coupons...no booking discounts at that level.

You may not get booking discounts, but you do get coupons at gold level. We got $125 off our cabin on our next cruise, and we are only Gold level members.

The "hump" rooms are no different than a regular side cabin on either Freedom or Voyager class ships...it's only the Radiance class that has varying balcony sizes because of the hump. It's the convenient location that folks love....myself included!!!!

We had a Liberty GS on the "front hump" (under the whirlpools) and our balcony was definitely larger (on one side) than the others cabins that weren't under that. It may be different on the real side hump but if you stay under a whirlpool you get a bigger balcony

Thanks for your replies. I know little about the inner workings of a RCCL cruise ship, especially these newer ones. Each cruise we've taken feels like a whole new experience, which is great but at the same time is a little unsettling. We're planners by nature and every little bit of information helps.

I've always thought of avoiding the elevators because of noise in the hallways. From what you folks are saying, that isn't a problem on this ship.

How "private" are the private balconies? I've seen some that call themselves private but you can practically see the entire balcony area from elsewhere on the ship (either from another stateroom or from a public area). I wouldn't call those "private".

Not true. At the corners, they are larger, and center-hump, they are slightly narrower.

When I pulled up this post, I couldn't see the other replies. When i posted, they were there. Sorry for the duplicate info.

[quote name=cyclenut;30261210

1) Thinking about a Deck 6 balcony. Most of what I've read here suggest this is a good choice. Not sure what is available right now but is what I read correct? Also' date=' I've noticed some people seem to prefer this bubble area (not sure what it is really called). Are these rooms any different?

I don't really know anything particularly wrong or right with Deck 6. However, that deck is just above public areas. I prefer Decks 7, 8 or 9 since these have only passenger areas above and below them. (You can do a dummy booking on the RCI website to see what's available.) The "hump" cabins are essentially the same size as the other cabins. The balconies are sometimes larger and the location is great.

Are you sailing with children? No problem. Some people avoid the summer months because of that. The Caribbean is hotter and more humid than in mid-winter and it can be rainier. However, I am about to cruise again during the first week of September and as of yesterday, there was only one outside cabin available, so there are lots of us that think this is still an acceptable time to cruise.

It's not automatic, but is available. You just have to enroll in the Crown and Anchor Society. You can call them to do this. There is a C&A area on the main website that will give you this info.[/quote]

When booking be sure to give them your Crown & Anchor number. As others have said that will insure a coupon booklet in your stateroom and an invitation to the party for returning guests.

I believe you will be happy with your choice if you sail RCCL for your anniversary.

Good luck and happy sailing!!:)

Archived