Have children aboard ever been bothersome? (splashing, screaming, running)

Sweetness

Have children aboard ever been bothersome? (splashing, screaming, running) Are they usually on their best behavior? Or has this never been a problem?

We will be getting married soon and want to take a relaxing and QUIET honeymoon cruise, are there any cruiselines in particular that have fewer children aboard? It almost seems to me that Celebrity is a bit more adult oriented, perhaps princess, or avoid RCI and Carnival that attract younger crowd (?).

I know that almost all cruise lines offer children's programs and that I won't be able to escape children altogether but I am just curious.

So far I have deduced the following, would any of this help?

- avoid weekdays

- go when school is in session and off-peak times of year

- probably avoid the Disney Cruise Line as it is very child oriented

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated :D

(and yes we are young! [22/23] I must sound like a scrooge already :eek:;) hehehehe)

I can't tell you about cruises in particular but can give you peak dates to avoid.

Week of Christmas and New Years

Thanksgiving Week

Weeks before and after Easter

Memorial Day through Labor Day

President's Week (February)

The first two weeks in December are usually the slowest times of year for Caribbean resorts and few people vacation then and it may be your best bet for avoiding children and families.

sweetness...... I would recommend Celebrity Cruiseline, not during a holiday...or summer break.

The third week in May is good (most of the US is still in school).

Celebrity is a fine cruiseline...perfect for a honeymoon. :)

I also recommend Princess which limits children. Also 10-14 day cruises will generally have fewer children as well. I have also found if you do one way trips there is less children ie Panamal Canal from San Diego to FLL. Stay away from the Voyager Class on RCCL as they have alot of children.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding.

Hi, congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals:)

I sail Celebrity and I love them. The above suggestions are all correct. Summertime and Holiday cruises always have many more children on them.

Now, it also depends...if you are able to afford a "True Luxury Line" such as Seabourn, Crystal or Raddison, those line don't cater to children much at all. They are quite a bit pricier than the "mass market" lines though.

As for my experience on Celebrity, the most kids I recall on any of my cruises was actually last week! There were about 160 kids. That is a very small % considering the ship was sold out~I was on Century. I have also sailed her in May 2003 and Jan 2004. Both times were during the school year and there were less than 100 kids on each sailing.

Celebrity also used to offer an "Adult Only" cruise but I don't think they do that one any more.

TY everyone

well I am glad my gut instincts seem to be right on target ;). I was origionally thinking Carnival or RCI just beacuse they are cheaper than some of the others. Celebrity and Princess seem to be best bets for a quality experience, though they are a bit more than RCI or Carnival; they seem to have the highest overall ratings and satisfaction, shipwide.

So I will be saving my pennies for my DREAM CRUISE on Murcury 10 Day Mexican Riviera 12/2-12/12 :D Summit sounds great beacuse of the Cirque Du Soleil, my hubby likes NCL's Freestyle idea, and Princess gives you free internet after 5 cruises.... choices choices choices... :D

Celebrity also used to offer an "Adult Only" cruise but I don't think they do that one any more"

that's what I thought.... *snif*

During the time frame you have given, children and teens should not be much of a problem. As far as kids go, if there are enough of them around, you can expect some bad behavior. Even on Celebrity in Alaska, there were teens hanging around in the elevators and blocking the stairwells. But, if you are friendly to them and smile and say "excuse me", the are usually disarmed by your politeness. It is when older people scowl and bark at them they become nasty and rude right back. I'm always amused when reading posts on these boards about how people want to "treat" unruly children (like they would actually do it). If you really want to teach children good manners, you have to display good manners yourself.

All that said, I sure was glad when a ships' officer stepped in and got two boys to stop heaving glasses of iced tea at each other on the pool deck. It made me completely understand why ships no longer have all you can consume, serve yourself fountains onboard.

It is when older people scowl and bark at them they become nasty and rude right back.... If you really want to teach children good manners, you have to display good manners yourself.

'You attract more flies with honey' well said happy ks :)

Archived